Strange encounter with another carrier

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Strange encounter with another carrier

Post by Brian D. »

I meet fellow oldsters at a nearby McDonald's about twice a week. Last week just a couple of us were there when a pair of young guys got food and sat down nearby. We'd seen them before, the one guy carries but isn't too good at concealment. Whatever. But that day he took his handgun out of his waistband and sat it on the table in front of him. My friend asked him to maybe put on the chair next to him instead, to put it more out of sight. (It's hard to blame my friend for that, long ago he got shot.) Anyway, I moved over to their table, introduced myself as a fellow carrier, and even pulled my jacket back to show them. All of this done by me in a casual, friendly-if-slightly-concerned way.

Long story (I could bore Stu to death here) shortish, the guy's holster had broken and he was afraid the gun would fall out of his waist when he sat down. I offered him some advice, since it was cold and he had on a coat with big front pockets. Rather than present/grab/draw the gun whenever sitting, he should use an otherwise empty front coat pocket until he could get a holster. My chat took about fifteen minutes, offering other suggestions regarding the situation, and how it was going to go badly sooner or later if he kept taking out the handgun. He sort of thanked me. About ten minutes after all this, two police cruisers circle the place and park. The officers walk in, and of course they'd been sent on a "man with a gun at McDonald's" call. My friend knows this department's members pretty well, so he scolded them about the lousy response time. Then he told them we'd done their job for them. They actually left immediately after that, not happy.

There are lot of things one could take away from this incident, but two are plenty for me to rail about this morning:

1) The carrier in question was unlicensed, and self-taught. (I asked.) If there'd been a class, he could have learned all about holsters and stuff.
2) The police response time was definitely slow. (My friend checked on that.) Preaching to the choir here maybe, but you're on your own out in this world, people, no one can be counted on to ride to the rescue.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Strange encounter with another carrier

Post by carmen fovozzo »

If I ever had a choice to have someone in my foxhole with me , it would be you Brian..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks Carmen. Honestly though, wasn't fishing for compliments here. Just relating a kind of weird story. Maybe it's because I'm out of the house pretty much every day, more things happen around me. Wondering a little more often now, how many people are carrying that are woefully undereducated.

And, let's you and me stay out of foxholes, Fovozzo. Steve says you spent too much time in bunkers already. :lol:

********************************************************************************
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

Brian D. wrote:Wondering a little more often now, how many people are carrying that are woefully undereducated.:
Something tells me we don't want to know the answer... :(

I hope that your constructive critisism of his actions sunk in. I really hope he feels embarrassed enough to maybe seek some training or at least talk to more folks that are willing to guide him in the right direction. You did your part, now hopefully he will do his.
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

Brian D. wrote: Wondering a little more often now, how many people are carrying that are woefully undereducated.
On another gun forum I said that when constitutional carry passed there would be many people who will start carrying, having no clue what Ohio requires of them, let a loan, the proper way to carry a gun including the proper handling of a gun.

I am totally against the state dictating to me that I take a class teaching basic gun law and proper gun handling, BUT I think it is the prudent thing to do.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Good job!
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

jeep45238 wrote:Good job!
Not that sure my advice to the young man made a dent. Unlike what Yoda said, sometimes all you can do IS try. If he stops by that McDonald's again I'll update the thread accordingly.

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Brian D. wrote:
jeep45238 wrote:Good job!
Not that sure my advice to the young man made a dent. Unlike what Yoda said, sometimes all you can do IS try. If he stops by that McDonald's again I'll update the thread accordingly.
I'm sure in my younger years I dismissed plenty that I shouldn't have. You might be surprised.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Brian D. wrote:I meet fellow oldsters at a nearby McDonald's about twice a week. ...
Great work, just as I would expect! ;-)
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Haven't seen the young guy since that morning. Hope he didn't get jammed up. If I knew his name I'd look in the Hamilton County Clerk of Courts site for recent arrests.

steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Brian D. wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:27 am Thanks Carmen. Honestly though, wasn't fishing for compliments here. Just relating a kind of weird story. Maybe it's because I'm out of the house pretty much every day, more things happen around me. Wondering a little more often now, how many people are carrying that are woefully undereducated.

And, let's you and me stay out of foxholes, Fovozzo. Steve says you spent too much time in bunkers already. :lol:
Bunker,.... more like 2 fairways over or in the woods. He would be lucky to land in a bunker. :lol:
Golf lessons should be mandatory. :wink:
Black Rifles Matter
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

steves 50de wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:30 pm
Brian D. wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:27 am Thanks Carmen. Honestly though, wasn't fishing for compliments here. Just relating a kind of weird story. Maybe it's because I'm out of the house pretty much every day, more things happen around me. Wondering a little more often now, how many people are carrying that are woefully undereducated.

Bunker,.... more like 2 fairways over or in the woods. He would be lucky to land in a bunker. :lol:
Golf lessons should be mandatory. :wink:
Carmen sounds like me when I was a golfer. I used to say that I played "at golf."
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I’m a 14 handicap at 80 years old. Steve is a 80 handicap and plays like a 14 year old. His clubs are about 80 years old also. I have to drive the golf cart because Steve’s legs can’t reach the gas peddle.But I still love the guy.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

carmen fovozzo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:19 am I’m a 14 handicap at 80 years old. Steve is a 80 handicap and plays like a 14 year old. His clubs are about 80 years old also. I have to drive the golf cart because Steve’s legs can’t reach the gas peddle.But I still love the guy.
I loved playing golf, but I played it like I played guard in football - power. I could drive it pretty far, but the direction was erratic. I had to quit when I started having serious back problems.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand