ATF Revokes Three Times as Many Gun Dealer Licenses in 2022

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

ATF Revokes Three Times as Many Gun Dealer Licenses in 2022

Post by Bruenor »

1.3% is still a low percentage of the amount inspected, but I'm sure it's much higher rate than it should be. Many probably for clerical errors.

Archive.org Link
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives revoked gun store licenses at a higher rate in 2022 than in any year since 2006, according to data published by the agency on October 4. The numbers provide the first indication that federal investigators have cracked down on lawbreaking gun dealers following guidance from the Biden administration ordering the agency to take a harsher tack during inspections.

Altogether, the agency revoked 92 licenses in 2022 — roughly 1.3 percent of all the dealers inspected. The total more than triples the number of licenses revoked in 2021, when a similar number of dealers were inspected. Another 136 dealers received warning conferences, the steepest penalty inspectors can recommend without revocation.
The new inspections data does not conclusively show whether either of these developments altered the way the ATF investigates gun dealers, but it suggests that inspectors were more aggressive than in years past.

When asked whether the ATF had taken a stricter stance toward dealers in 2022, agency spokesperson Erik Longnecker told The Trace he could not speculate without specific case details.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: ATF Revokes Three Times as Many Gun Dealer Licenses in 2

Post by kcclark »

What we don't know is how big these dealers were. Is the ATF going after whomever or are they going after big stores with lots of forms for the ATF's illegal database?
FormerNavy

Re: ATF Revokes Three Times as Many Gun Dealer Licenses in 2

Post by FormerNavy »

kcclark wrote:What we don't know is how big these dealers were. Is the ATF going after whomever or are they going after big stores with lots of forms for the ATF's illegal database?
I have no idea, but I would guess they are going after the stores that don't have the resources to fight back (i.e. money)