more 911 caller hysteria, gunshot noise near school

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

more 911 caller hysteria, gunshot noise near school

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/gunshot ... 4LUQIRVBU/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's one thing to call 911 about something, but it's wrong to add stuff that you don't know just because you're excited. :( If you're going to call 911 simply because you hear gunfire noise, say that, don't add that bullets are flying your way.
Coaches for the seventh grade football team at Jacob Coy Middle School in Beavercreek Twp. called 911 Monday around 7:30 p.m. after hearing multiple gunshots fired from a property that’s near the school’s football field on Dayton Xenia Road and Ankeney Road.

“There’s gunshots coming across the practice field and behind Coy (Middle School). They’re coming across the actual, like bullets are coming across,” a caller said in the 911 call obtained in a News Center 7 public records request.

“There’s somebody, like a farm behind the field and that’s where the bullets were coming from.”

The caller reported no one was hit, but that several gunshots were heard from the wooded area near the practice field.

“No one is injured right now, no, thank the Lord,” the caller said.
John Huntz of Beavercreek Twp. lives at the home where the shots were fired. Huntz told News Center 7 he had recently moved into the house and often shoots in a pond in his backyard that the previous owners dug-out but never filled with water.

Huntz said he was surprised when deputies were at his door Monday after he was shooting.

“I was a little bit taken aback you know because we’ve been out there before and no issues I talked to all my neighbors they’re okay with it. And we’re just like, a little surprised,” he said.

Huntz said he heard someone yell for him to stop shooting.

“I could hear someone from far away ‘hey, stop shooting.’ I went like, ‘where is that coming from?’ I went and talked to all my neighbors yesterday and they said ‘it wasn’t us,’” Huntz said.

Huntz added he talked to a sheriff’s deputy that told him he was allowed to shoot on his property.

Greene County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Kelly Edwards confirmed to News Center 7 Wednesday deputies were continuing to investigate the incident and it was still an active investigation. Edwards declined to comment if the shots fired on private property were in violation of either Beavercreek Twp. ordinances or state laws.

“The Greene County Sheriff’s Office is continuing to investigate this matter to determine whether there was any wrongdoing specific to ORC 2923.162 Discharge of firearm on or near prohibited premises, or any other statute. Upon conclusion, the matter may be presented to the appropriate prosecutor to determine whether charges are appropriate,” a sheriff’s office spokesperson said in a separate media release issued Wednesday.

The Ohio Revised Code states shooting a gun near a school is a crime and a person could be charged with discharging a firearm on or near a prohibited premise. However, the ORC section states it doesn’t apply to a person who is on their own property when they shoot the gun.