Mass shooter kills 3 at Indy mall stopped by CC

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Mass shooter kills 3 at Indy mall stopped by CC

Post by pk47 »

M-Quigley wrote:It's been reported locally the GG had to fire 10 rds to end the threat, don't know what caliber
9mm
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

M-Quigley wrote:The guy reportedly had 100 rounds of ammo, and the distance was reported from the GG to the murderer was 30 feet.
We are early in the story so "facts" tend to change with time. I just read that the GG was shooting from 90 yards.
He got off 24 shots before Dicken put him down. Dicken hit the shooter with multiple shots from about 90 yards.
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/r ... s-n1614041
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Ninety yards stretches the bounds of reality further than I can believe. Ninety feet would be pretty respectable handgun shooting, under such circumstances.

It seems like the police chief has done his best to provide accurate information throughout this time. What the media reports is beyond his control.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I've seen anywhere from 10 to 50 yards with 40 yards being the most frequently cited distance. My bet is it will end up more like 40 *feet* - I've seen comments by several locals that claim that over 25 yards would be unlikely give how the food court is laid out.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

kcclark wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:The guy reportedly had 100 rounds of ammo, and the distance was reported from the GG to the murderer was 30 feet.
We are early in the story so "facts" tend to change with time. I just read that the GG was shooting from 90 yards.
He got off 24 shots before Dicken put him down. Dicken hit the shooter with multiple shots from about 90 yards.
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/r ... s-n1614041
Yesterday a local Fox TV station affiliate reported the distance to be 30 yards, and showed a picture of where the GG was allegedly standing to the area where the mass shooter was at. Hard to guess just on appearance of the photo but it definitely wasn't 30 yards, and probably not 30 feet either. I've personally seen both civilians and supposedly trained LE completely miss their target in real life shootings from distances as close as 15 feet though under stress of a real life shooting incident. Regardless, he chose to carry instead of just leaving it at home and only carrying "when he thinks he needs to" and he chose to act, even though it wasn't something he was duty bound to do, unlike some cops in Texas. When he did shoot, he didn't hit any innocents, and wherever his rounds ended up hitting the BG his shots were effective enough to interfere with the active shooter. :)
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

JustaShooter wrote:I've seen anywhere from 10 to 50 yards with 40 yards being the most frequently cited distance. My bet is it will end up more like 40 *feet* - I've seen comments by several locals that claim that over 25 yards would be unlikely give how the food court is laid out.
Indiana Gun Owners forum was trying to figure this out with the measuring tool from Google Maps. Best they came up with was 40 yards from the cookie store counter to the restroom, using the pillar as a support for firing. Girlfriend apparently said something about him using the pillar. Unsure if he shot from the pillar then moved closer, but the INGO crowd seems to think that he might have. Others are saying all 10 rounds were from the pillar. There are believed to be 8 hits to the bad guy out of 10 fired. Their thread on this is over 50 pages. I am only 42 or so in. Some of the guys had family members there and left quickly.

Also of note is the timing that came from the police chief reported on INGO. BG left the bathroom at 5:56:48 as timestamped by the closed circuit TV. Neutralized by Dicken at 5:57:03. All over in 15 seconds. They also have a link to a photo of the dead BG.
Press release
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I've got a pic of the dead goblin. He's quite dead
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Mustang380gal wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:I've seen anywhere from 10 to 50 yards with 40 yards being the most frequently cited distance. My bet is it will end up more like 40 *feet* - I've seen comments by several locals that claim that over 25 yards would be unlikely give how the food court is laid out.
Indiana Gun Owners forum was trying to figure this out with the measuring tool from Google Maps. Best they came up with was 40 yards from the cookie store counter to the restroom, using the pillar as a support for firing. Girlfriend apparently said something about him using the pillar. Unsure if he shot from the pillar then moved closer, but the INGO crowd seems to think that he might have. Others are saying all 10 rounds were from the pillar. There are believed to be 8 hits to the bad guy out of 10 fired. Their thread on this is over 50 pages. I am only 42 or so in. Some of the guys had family members there and left quickly.

Also of note is the timing that came from the police chief reported on INGO. BG left the bathroom at 5:56:48 as timestamped by the closed circuit TV. Neutralized by Dicken at 5:57:03. All over in 15 seconds. They also have a link to a photo of the dead BG.
Press release
8 out of 10 from 40 yards on a target that probably moved (at least at first)...with a common Glock 9mm is solid, pillar of support or no.

I hope he has something like CCW Safe or some kind of legal protection for the inevitable deluge of legal ugly that is headed his way.

Perhaps the media has learned not to jump in on this Rittenhouse style case, but the left will not allow this young man to be held up as a positive example (without a fight).
And CBS 4 Indianapolis traffic anchor Justin Kollar suggested:

The term, ‘Good Samaritan’ came from a Bible passage of a man from Samaria who stopped on the side of the road to help a man who was injured and ignored. I cannot believe we live in a world where the term can equally apply to someone *killing* someone… my God.

Michael Bloomberg-affiliated Shannon Watts, leader of Moms Demand Action, tweeted:

The NRA won’t tell you that defensive gun use is rare, and data shows criminal carry laws increase gun crime and gun homicides in the states where they’re passed. But most of all, these deadly laws increase gun sales, which is the real reason they’re pushing them.
Side note , no license (July 1 Constitutional Carry in Hoosier state) but actively defying mall policy is *chef kiss* beautiful.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

He has a lawyer, Guy Relford, I think it is. One of the best CC lawyers in IN according to INGO. Guy is representing him pro bono. He released a redacted copy of a LTCH from IN, so Dicken was carrying with a license. ( but it wouldn’t matter either way).

They now have a second thread on “ what do we learn from this if we find ourselves in a similar situation”. That would make a good panel discussion/ dinner conversation whenever we get together next.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

My shooting crew set up a "Greenwood Mall Challenge" drill at the outdoor range yesterday. Steel human silhouette target, hanging down from two big chains. Made to stop rifle rounds, so 9mm and .45acp don't move it much. We didn't have a pillar or even tree to brace against, so we used the side of a tall pickup truck, positioned just right, to lean on. Distance was 42 yards.

Getting eight out of ten hits in 15 seconds was the object. One guy used a red dot optic, the rest of us pretty good iron sights. Because of the lousy hot weather, I'd say our quintet consisted of the most dedicated (practiced, or stupid :lol: ) members of the tribe. Two of us got eight or more hits, in the allotted time. Not on the first try. It's tough.

********************************************************************************
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I wonder if Springfield Hellcat sales have increased?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pirateguy191 wrote:I wonder if Springfield Hellcat sales have increased?
Are we now sure that's what the good guy was using? The iron sights are good, but a short radius. I keep wondering if there was a red dot on his gun.

FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Brian D. wrote:
Are we now sure that's what the good guy was using? The iron sights are good, but a short radius. I keep wondering if there was a red dot on his gun.

I would love to know what gun and if he had a red dot. Not that I like or trust CNN, but they reported the bystander used a Glock: https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/19/us/eli-d ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

FormerNavy wrote:
Brian D. wrote:

I would love to know what gun and if he had a red dot. Not that I like or trust CNN, but they reported the bystander used a Glock: https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/19/us/eli-d ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it that any rifle lacking woodgrain is an AR-15 and any common semi-auto handgun is a G-Lock?

Would CNN know a Walther from a Sig from a Beretta from a G-Lock?
(Many PDs use G-Locks so the "scary" factor of a civilian using the same thing as a beautifully badge-ed State official has value, and of course millions have been sold, so G-Locks have a generic factor. )
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

bignflnut wrote:
FormerNavy wrote:

Is it that any rifle lacking woodgrain is an AR-15 and any common semi-auto handgun is a G-Lock?

Would CNN know a Walther from a Sig from a Beretta from a G-Lock?
(Many PDs use G-Locks so the "scary" factor of a civilian using the same thing as a beautifully badge-ed State official has value, and of course millions have been sold, so G-Locks have a generic factor. )

I don't disagree... but it was the only "reporting" I could find on what the good guy was carrying.