What Happened in South Carolina mall? (9-12 injured)

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

What Happened in South Carolina mall? (9-12 injured)

Post by bignflnut »

A man arrested following Saturday's South Carolina mall shooting in which nine people were wounded had opened fire in self-defense in a confrontation with other shooters, his lawyer said Sunday.

The man, identified as 22-year-old Jewayne Price, has been released under house arrest and ordered to wear an ankle monitor after a judge set a $25,000 surety bond.

Police booked Price on suspicion of unlawful possession of a pistol after questioning him, the Columbia Police Department said. While police have not formally alleged he was a shooter Saturday, he was barred by Bond Court at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center Sunday from contacting victims of the attack, Columbia police said on Twitter.

Price was one of three detained as "people of interest" for questioning, Columbia Police Chief W. H. “Skip” Holbrook said Saturday. The two others weren't involved and were released, police said in a statement released overnight.

Investigators believe a fight between people who knew one another led to the gunfire, and that "at least three suspects displayed firearms inside the mall," according to the statement.

The chief said Saturday that preliminary information leads detectives to believe at least two people opened fire. The number of shooters, however, was yet to be officially determined.
The reports are extremely muddy...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Re: What Happened in South Carolina mall? (9-12 injured)

Post by M-Quigley »

Some interesting follow up information, a Sheriff possibly making an insinuation for political purposes against a suspect that isn't true, etc. He was the first person to turn himself in, claimed self defense and was initially released after posting 10% of a 25 thousand dollar bond because all he was charged with was carrying a concealed weapon. I thought I read a report that when they released him they checked and said his gun was not used to shoot any of the victims. Now his charges have been upgraded, but allegedly NOT due to any actual new evidence but external political pressure, blowback about why he was released to go home and to work in the first place with such a high profile crime.

https://www.wistv.com/2022/04/16/office ... iana-mall/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.wistv.com/2022/04/19/fact-c ... g-suspect/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sheriff Leon Lott issued a statement about community inquiries into Price’s criminal history:

“RCSD has received several inquiries asking for confirmation if the same Jewayne M. Price who was arrested by investigators with the Richland County Sheriff’s Department in 2018 is the same man who has been charged by Columbia Police in connection with Saturday’s shooting at Columbiana Centre.

In June of 2018, RCSD charged Price, who was 18 at the time, with accessory before the fact in connection with the murder of 17-year-old Amon Rice.

Sheriff Leon Lott has spoken publicly about his concerns with what he calls a “catch and release” system. “We catch people, they serve a little bit of time, they get out and they get right back doing what they normally do and that’s commit crimes,” he said at a recent press conference. “The criminal justice system needs to do better.”
That's fine but the rest of the store is:
Rep. Todd Rutherford (D-Richland) represented Price in court.

“Disappointed today that the bond did not work. The law is put in place for a reason.”

Rutherford said there had been five incident reports to area law enforcement involving threats from the other two suspects or people connected to the suspects against Price and his family members before the Columbiana Centre shooting.

“My client is the good guy with a gun that defended himself,” he said.

Rutherford said Price’s family has continued to receive threats even after Saturday’s shooting, “His family was told that if they went to go to pick him up at the jail they’d better be strapped because something bad would happen to them. They continued to threaten them that night telling them they knew where his mother lived. These are the same threats have been reported to law enforcement over and over again, documented with the City of Columbia, with Richland County related to the same incident in 2018.”

In 2018 Price and several other people were charged with Accessory Before the Fact in relation to the death of Amon Rice in May of 2018. Rutherford said of the 2018 incident, “My client’s charges were no billed at the grand jury. Which means that probable cause didn’t event exist at his arrest. It wasn’t dismissed by a prosecutor. This was not catch and release. This was a grand jury in this county deciding that he never should have been arrested and never been charged with it.”

Granted, if Mr. Price was concerned with death threats perhaps he should've gotten a CCW permit and perhaps he was in the process of that, IDK. I also don't know if SC has any way of getting an emergency temp permit. In addition he should not have run completely away and also should've been one of the people to call 911 after getting to safety. All of this makes his defense more difficult even if he is innocent of the most serious charges.

A black friend of mine has the opinion that, in regard only to Price, that he is caught up in the "black man with a gun" syndrome, and the reason he is now being charged with the more serious offenses is simply racism. IDK, perhaps there is new evidence, or perhaps he is right. (shrug)

Here is what I found regarding getting a CCW permit in SC

https://southcarolina.concealedcarry.co ... ion-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Sounds like this Price dude has got a fairly large and public target on his back.
Complications abound.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Some more to the story, with possibly disturbing comments regarding Price for anyone who carries due to a specific threat on their lives.

https://www.wistv.com/2022/04/16/office ... iana-mall/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Price claims he was in legal possession of the handgun (but didn't have a carry permit) and was carrying because he had threats made against him that were reported to and documented by law enforcement 5 different times. IDK if the family sought a restraining order on the other guys but in a case where someone is threatening to kill you it's not very effective in actually preventing anything. It's a good idea though for other reasons, as is trying to get a CCW license, whatever the hoops that need to be jumped through. It's not like SC is "may issue" or anything. He's claiming that he did not initiate the confrontation. What's concerning though is the comment from the judge in the video regarding Price's bond.

"When you enter a place like a mall with a weapon and fires that weapon where there are innocent people around with complete disregard for their lives is a danger to the community. I can think of no greater danger that I can see today."

So far there's been no reporting that Price hit any innocent people, in fact one report I initially read said forensics on the bullets did not show he hit any innocent people prior to being released on bond over the original carrying a weapon charge. If there is some new evidence to suggest that is no longer true LE or the DA isn't mentioning it yet. The bolded part could potentially apply to any self defense encounter in a public place.

The other interesting thing that was said was by the police chief regarding the attorney for Price comments that Price was not a mutual combatant but a victim defending himself. The chief responded,

"Three people chose to come to the mall carrying guns concealed that have a dislike for each other, and then they chose to pull the guns and fire their guns and nine people got hit."

That statement, while technically true, doesn't address the attorney's claim about self defense at all. What it does do is basically condemn concealed carrying in general and using that firearm to defend yourself if you are attacked in a public place where innocent people are hit, even if the defender didn't actually hit any innocent people. Maybe he did, IDK, but that wasn't mentioned. Also nothing said so far that Price chose to go to the mall knowing the other two would be there. If that was the case that's a different situation.

Several years ago a guy formally married to one of our nieces got out prison and made a written kill list, and my wife and I were on it. This was documented to LE. It was also alleged that after he got out he was watching some other relatives on the kill list to see where they went, like to work or the store, so he wouldn't have to try to kill them at their home, which everyone there was armed and alerted to the danger. This even included finding out where she worked, which btw is a no guns zone. He obtained 2 guns and was in the process of getting a 3rd when he "accidentally" shot himself in the face. The 3rd gun belonged to a relative that found out what he wanted to do and allegedly there was a struggle over the gun. Anyway, problem solved :), however lets say for the sake of argument the guy had confronted us while we chose to go shopping where other innocent people are at. Am I somehow responsible for what the BG does to other people while he is attempting to kill me? Also am I wrong to carry when I have a documented threat against my wife and I? Or am I just supposed to sit at home and not go out in public for fear that my wife and I might be confronted by this felon? Granted, I can't say I liked the guy after I found out we were on a kill list merely for being a relative of his ex :roll: but my personal feelings have nothing to do with it. If I would've had to shoot him it would've been to stop the threat, not anything personal.

Of course unlike Price I do have a CC license and I would do things Price didn't do, like call 911 as soon as it was safe to do so, not leave the area if it is safe to stay, etc. Even if price is innocent of the most serious charges it make his defense harder what he did and didn't do afterwards. The point is though, in the absence of other evidence the comments by the judge and chief seem relatable to carrying concealed and self defense in general, not any real risk of danger to the community now that the people who threatened him are in jail.

If nothing changes and the facts are as Price's attorney says, it would be interesting to know why the guy didn't try to get a license to carry, since he could legally own the gun, unlike the other two. Maybe he did, IDK, just curious.