Gun "buybacks" ineffective - Who'd a thunk it?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Gun "buybacks" ineffective - Who'd a thunk it?

Post by AlanM »

13News Now Investigates: How effective are gun buybacks?

A study from the National Bureau of Economic Research found gun buybacks are "ineffective at deterring gun crime."

Researchers offered several reasons that gun buybacks could fail to reduce gun violence, including:

The gift cards aren't priced high enough to incentivize donations
Most participants come from low-crime areas
The firearms exchanged "tend to be older and less well-functioning than the average firearm."
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Gun "buybacks" ineffective - Who'd a thunk it?

Post by Javelin Man »

#4. Criminals don't turn in their guns.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Geeee Whizzzz
I'm completely shocked ! ! !
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
docachna

Post by docachna »

I missed the last gun buyback in Nashville. I was going to show up with a sign on the sidewalk and tell them I would offer more than the buyback if I liked the gun. Knowing Metro Nashville PD, that probably would have lasted about ten minutes before they tried to run me off for conducting a business without a city license. At which point, it would have gotten interesting.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
drc

Post by drc »

There was a guy in the greater Akron area (since naturally deceased due to age) that would buy box fulls of el-cheapo handguns. He would then go trade them for good guns. The people got their money and he got inventory of really good stuff to sell.

When I first met my wife, there was a Luger that had been taken off a dead SS officer by one of the uncles. One of the other uncles turned it in for a $50.00 food
coupon in Cleveland. She wouldn't let me tell him that he p*ssed away over a grand.
High Power

Post by High Power »

drc wrote:There was a guy in the greater Akron area (since naturally deceased due to age) that would buy box fulls of el-cheapo handguns. He would then go trade them for good guns. The people got their money and he got inventory of really good stuff to sell.

When I first met my wife, there was a Luger that had been taken off a dead SS officer by one of the uncles. One of the other uncles turned it in for a $50.00 food
coupon in Cleveland. She wouldn't let me tell him that he p*ssed away over a grand.
...and that some LEO got a really nice Luger for his collection.

A friend of mine came home from a deployment in Afghanistan to discover that his wife sold all of his firearms in a gun "buyback" scheme. That was about a dozen guns that she threw away. That's one of the reasons she is now his EX-wife.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

The only 'buy-back' I have seen that provides any benefit besides grandstanding for the mayor/chief/leo are the ones ran in Cincinnati by https://street-rescue.org/

They focus on having people turn in 'community guns'. We mainly see guns turned in by (ex)-girlfriends which were given to them by prohibited owners or from homeless community who find them stashed in hide-holes and are afraid they may be used against them. Also lots of mothers bring in realistic BB-guns they find with their kids thinking they are real.

The guns turned in go to a local FFL who buys them for resale.
The money Street Rescue gets from the FFL funds future events.
And the legal gun owners in the community have more affordable guns available to buy from the FFL.

It is also ran with a partnership of liberal Dem politicians and gun loving Republicans so that plays well in the local media

PS: They are a non-profit with no government support so if you want to make a small donation you can get info here : https://street-rescue.org/Donation_Information.htm

JLE