Springfield man takes get off my lawn literally, fires shots

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Springfield man takes get off my lawn literally, fires shots

Post by M-Quigley »

Fortunately no one was hit, a neighbor said he probable snapped and couldn't take it anymore. He purchased what used to be an alley between his house and the house next door but despite signs people keep walking through it. I think a gated fence would've been a better way to go. :roll:

https://www.whio.com/news/local/springf ... WB3DCVQM4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: Springfield man takes get off my lawn literally, fires s

Post by evan price »

M-Quigley wrote:Fortunately no one was hit, a neighbor said he probable snapped and couldn't take it anymore. He purchased what used to be an alley between his house and the house next door but despite signs people keep walking through it. I think a gated fence would've been a better way to go. :roll:

An alley can be a right of way.

https://www.whio.com/news/local/springf ... WB3DCVQM4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

evan price wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:Fortunately no one was hit, a neighbor said he probable snapped and couldn't take it anymore. He purchased what used to be an alley between his house and the house next door but despite signs people keep walking through it. I think a gated fence would've been a better way to go. :roll:

An alley can be a right of way.

Absolutely. If it would've been me, I would've wanted to find out whether I could legally keep people from going thru before buying, if I was concerned about it.

update: He's his own attorney. :roll:

https://www.whio.com/news/local/i-am-my ... ULPFM3T3M/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SPRINGFIELD — A man facing decades of time in prison after police said he fired about a half dozen shots at a woman walking down the street told a judge he’s going to be his own attorney.

“I am my own attorney on the record,” said Charles Porter, the man arrested after the shooting. “Things did occur on my property with my legally purchased firearm, legally purchased ammunition, legally purchased magazine.”

Porter is charged with attempted murder, felonious assault, a gun charge and obstructing official business. He could face more than 20 years in prison if he’s convicted, Judge Stephen A. Schumaker said.

“On these types of charges, it’s often advisable to have an attorney,” Schumaker told Porter. “I’m willing to listen to whatever you have to say.”

Officers responded to Porter’s house in the 700 block of Charles around 8:45 a.m. Monday. after receiving 911 calls reporting a man shooting a gun at a woman walking down the street.

“I need to report this guy just shot at me six times,” the woman said. “I was just walking down the (expletive) street.”

The woman said she saw the gunfire hit the pavement and ricochet off her feet, but she was not injured.

“He told me to freeze,” the woman said.

Porter said he had asked the woman if she was with the Springfield City Police Department in anyway.

Porter said the charges against him are “utterly false.”
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Might be interesting to pull up more about Mr. Porter through Clerk of Courts offices in that region.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

I remember one of Clint Eastwood movie where he says "Get off my lawn". Although he didn't fire off his M1 Garand.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

qmti wrote:I remember one of Clint Eastwood movie where he says "Get off my lawn". Although he didn't fire off his M1 Garand.
I've got that movie recorded but haven't watched the whole thing yet. I have seen that particular scene, and the get off my lawn statement is merely an excuse to sound like he's not defending someone when he is. The character in the movie might have some legal justification for doing what he did, defense of others. I've got to try to find the time to watch the whole, sounds interesting.

This is just a one minute clip of the confrontation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelBNtNm8l0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
qmti wrote:I remember one of Clint Eastwood movie where he says "Get off my lawn". Although he didn't fire off his M1 Garand.
I've got that movie recorded but haven't watched the whole thing yet. I have seen that particular scene, and the get off my lawn statement is merely an excuse to sound like he's not defending someone when he is. The character in the movie might have some legal justification for doing what he did, defense of others. I've got to try to find the time to watch the whole, sounds interesting.

This is just a one minute clip of the confrontation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelBNtNm8l0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a good movie.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand