body cam video of police shooting at Westerville hospital

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

body cam video of police shooting at Westerville hospital

Post by M-Quigley »

Happened at St Ann's Mount Carmel hospital in Westerville Oh. News story + body cam video. The suspect was patted down before getting into an ambulance but the cop on scene failed to find a handgun hidden in his groin area. It was after this that they discovered that he had a warrant out for his arrest for having weapons under disability. When police at the hospital checked him again and found a bullet in his pocket they tried to find a gun and that's when a struggle ensued. At one point the suspect's gun went off in his pants, and one of the LEO's had his handgun jam. He appears to have difficultly getting it unjammed. Eventually the suspect is shot and gives up, before dying.

Whether it's deemed a legit shoot or not someone might be in trouble with the Chief over why and where it happened in the first place.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/polic ... 30dd9ac89b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: body cam video of police shooting at Westerville hospita

Post by TSiWRX »

M-Quigley wrote:...and one of the LEO's had his handgun jam. He appears to have difficultly getting it unjammed.
Glad the officers weren't injured badly.

But the ungloved officer in the room with Jackson - the one whose "gun jammed" - it's more that he jammed his gun (support hand thumb overriding slide above rear sight)....

Use the YouTube link given by Channel 10 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYVoQUG62NM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Set resolution to 1080HD and playback speed at 0.25, start at the 1:59 mark, and you'll see at the 2:00 mark, the slide reciprocates from the initial shot while the officer's left thumb is atop the rear sight (his thumb comes off the slide as it is reciprocating), likely inducing the stoppage. There certainly does seem to be a bit of hesitation and confusion with stoppage reduction, too.

Good lesson for us all.... Thanks for putting this one up, M-Quigley.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Ummmm

All of Central Ohio and most of the country watched every angle of like 7+ different body cams of this goat rope eight months ago when it happened. They released body cams within DAYS.

So why you posting this now?
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

M-Quigley wrote:Happened at St Ann's Mount Carmel hospital in Westerville Oh. News story + body cam video. The suspect was patted down before getting into an ambulance but the cop on scene failed to find a handgun hidden in his groin area. It was after this that they discovered that he had a warrant out for his arrest for having weapons under disability. When police at the hospital checked him again and found a bullet in his pocket they tried to find a gun and that's when a struggle ensued. At one point the suspect's gun went off in his pants, and one of the LEO's had his handgun jam. He appears to have difficultly getting it unjammed. Eventually the suspect is shot and gives up, before dying.

Whether it's deemed a legit shoot or not someone might be in trouble with the Chief over why and where it happened in the first place.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/polic ... 30dd9ac89b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looked like a S&W MP.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

TSiWRX wrote: But the ungloved officer in the room with Jackson - the one whose "gun jammed" - it's more that he jammed his gun (support hand thumb overriding slide above rear sight)....
. . .
while the officer's left thumb is atop the rear sight
We see that 'thumb over top of slide' grip a couple times each year in the FASTER Saves Lives classes when they are first put under stress in force on force. For some reason it happens even more then the thumb crossed over behind slide.

JLE

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Sevens wrote:Ummmm

All of Central Ohio and most of the country watched every angle of like 7+ different body cams of this goat rope eight months ago when it happened. They released body cams within DAYS.

So why you posting this now?
Because it popped up in the menu of news when I checked the website. I just assumed it was new news and didn't scroll down to see it was from April, sorry. I'm in SW Ohio and this was the first time I saw this story online. Again, sorry about that.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Strangely, I saw and heard news of the protests following, but not the actual event...this thread was the first that I'd seen of the actual shooting.

------

JEaton wrote:We see that 'thumb over top of slide' grip a couple times each year in the FASTER Saves Lives classes when they are first put under stress in force on force. For some reason it happens even more then the thumb crossed over behind slide.
+1. Force-on-Force shows all kinds of funny (well, not funny, but you get my drift :wink: ) stuff like this. I like to think that under stress, we fall to the level of skill which we've actually mastered - at least that's what I see of my own failures - so this says a lot.

What's the image that you were trying to link to?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Well no apologies necessary, I just couldn't understand why all of a sudden it was up for discussion.

As I recall, this happened right around the M'Kia Bryant incident.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Yup - that was, IIRC, why it was linked to the protests - at least in the news coverage in my area (and nationally, although I will say that I don't watch the news on TV any more, and this is via SXM's NPR, CNN, FOX, MSNBC, and BBC channels).