Arizona cop fired for shooting shoplifter in motor wheelchai

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Arizona cop fired for shooting shoplifter in motor wheelchai

Post by M-Quigley »

He allegedly was in a motorized wheelchair, stole a toolbox and displayed a knife at a Walmart then went to a Lowes and entered it. There is some limited video on the link but of course they don't show the moment of the shooting as that would offend some people. :roll:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 819769002/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surveillance video of the Monday shooting shows Richard Lee Richards, 61, entering a Lowe's in a wheelchair before an officer, later identified as Ryan Remington, fires his gun nine times at Richards' back and side. Richards was pronounced dead shortly afterward.

Before Richards entered the Lowe's, a Walmart employee had reported Richards was suspected of shoplifting a toolbox, Tucson police chief Chris Magnus said Tuesday at a news conference. When asked to show a receipt, the Walmart employee told police that Richards pulled out a knife and said, "Here's your receipt."

Remington was working off-duty as security at Walmart and has been with the department for four years. Magnus said Tuesday that Remington would be fired.

Here's what we know.

After Richards left the Walmart store, Remington followed him around the parking lot and can be seen on video calling for backup.

Officer Stephanie Taylor responded, arriving at the scene as Remington was approaching Richards near the Lowe's entrance. Footage from her body-worn camera shows her run out of her vehicle toward Richards.

"You need to stop," someone is heard saying, and then, "He's got his knife in his other hand."

As Remington says, "Do not go to the store, sir," Taylor draws her gun, too.

Video captured by Lowe's security cameras show Richards enter the store in a wheelchair followed by the two officers with their guns drawn a few feet behind him.

"Stop now. You need to —" Taylor starts saying but is interrupted by Remington firing his gun, according to the body camera video.

Richards was facing away from the officers when Remington fired his gun nine times at Richards' back and side, body camera footage shows. Richards immediately fell out of his chair as Remington rushed toward him and handcuffed the man, who remained crumpled on the ground.

Officer Ryan Remington has been with the Tucson police department for four years. His attorney, Mike Storie,said in a statement that Remington “had no nonlethal options."

"He did have a Taser, but in his mind, he couldn’t use it because he didn’t feel he had the proper spread to deploy it, with the wheelchair between him and Richards,” Storie said.
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Arizona cop fired for shooting shoplifter in motor wheel

Post by Cosmos »

So the guy is in a wheel chair, displays a knife, is shot nine times because the cop had "no non-lethal options?" I guess taking a couple of steps back and using a taser was too much trouble?
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Arizona cop fired for shooting shoplifter in motor wheel

Post by catfish86 »

I understand there may be some risk in grabbing a knife...but if you can't disarm a guy in a wheelchair without shooting him I am thinking you need to be in another profession. At what point does "there is a danger" become an excuse to be a pantywaist...
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.