Dayton police to review traffic stop of allegedly disabled m

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Dayton police to review traffic stop of allegedly disabled m

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/dayton- ... JE3ZJQYVY/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is body cam video of the encounter.
Dayton PD promises ‘thorough review’ after body cam shows officers drag man who says he’s disabled

DAYTON — The interim chief of Dayton Police Department and Dayton’s City Manager are promising a thorough review of an encounter last week where officers forcibly removed a man who reported being disabled from his car, handcuffed him, and dragged him to a police cruiser.

The case involved a traffic stop Thursday, Sept. 30 on Grand Avenue in Dayton.

Clifford Owensby, who told News Center 7 he cannot walk, said he was out running errands without a wheelchair in the car.

“I usually get assistance with getting in and out of the vehicle,” he said

Body camera footage WHIO obtained through a public records request shows officers appeared to pull Owensby over for a traffic stop, noting his window tint at 20 percent.

Minutes after conferring in a police cruiser, the video shows an officer approach Owensby on the driver’s side of his car, and ask him to turn off the engine and step out of the car. The officer noted a dog would need to search the vehicle, due to Owensby’s “history.” WHIO checked and found Owensby has past drug and weapons convictions in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

Owensby explained to officers he could not step out of the car.

“I’m paraplegic,” he said numerous times.

Officers offered to help him out of the car numerous times.

“Sir, I’m going to assist you to get out of the vehicle,” video shows, the officer said.

“No you’re not. No you’re not. You’re not going to touch me,” Owensby replied.

The video then showed Owensby appeared to call someone – apparently nearby – asking that person to come and bring others to witness the encounter.

“Bring cameras,” he said to his phone.

He then asked for a police supervisor.

“That way, if they were there they could possibly make sure the stop could be conducted in a decent manner,” he told News Center 7 Monday.

“Can you call your white shirt please?” Owensby is seen on video saying.

“I’ll pull you out and then I’ll call the white shirt,” the officer replied. “Because you’re getting out of the car. That’s not an option.

The officer continued, his voice raised. “You’re getting out of this car. So you can cooperate and get out of this car or I will drag you out of this car. Do you see your two options here?” he shouted to Owensby.

Seconds later, video shows the two officers pull Owensby out of the car, and force him to the pavement. Owensby can be heard on the video calling for help, and telling officers they are hurting him.

Officers told Owensby multiple times that he was making the situation more difficult. Police then are seen on the video dragging him to a cruiser, where they placed him under arrest for obstructing official business and resisting arrest.

“I just feel like they (were) wrong for doing what they (were) doing and I couldn’t believe what was happening to me,” Owensby said Monday.

WHIO reached out to Dayton Police and city leaders for a response on the encounter.

In a statement Monday, Interim Chief Matt Carper said the department’s Professional Standards Bureau is investigating the incident, “to include the officers’ actions and any allegations of misconduct.” Carper said detectives have already interviewed Owensby, and promised transparency in the investigation.
No mention of anything illegal found in the car or any other charges other than the mentioned in the bolded part.
Brian D.

Re: Dayton police to review traffic stop of allegedly disabl

Post by Brian D. »

I want to check the Montgomery County Clerk of Courts site to see what history Mr. Owensby might have. Is it easy to navigate?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

I bought a vehicle in TX in 2016. Came with tint darker than allowed in OH. Wish I had replaced it with allowable tint on the front windows since it ended up being used as a reason to hassle me and ended up costing me time and inconvenience. Caused me to thoroughly examine the OH laws on window tint. Found out it is very tough to find installers that actually will follow the exact law. Ohio requires a gizmo that says how much light the tint allows and installers don't want to do that because it can cause the tint to prematurely detach from the window. OTOH, I've never met a cop who knows that part of the law so I'm guessing it is almost never enforced.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Brian D. wrote:I want to check the Montgomery County Clerk of Courts site to see what history Mr. Owensby might have. Is it easy to navigate?
easy..

Multiple marijuana possession charges - convicted
multiple cocaine/crack possession charges - 1 convicted / 1 dismissed
attempting to have weapons under disability - convicted
having weapons under disability - convicted
carrying a concealed weapon (loaded) - convicted

5 cases from 2002-2013
5 years community control x3
1 yr, 12mo, and 6 mo confinement (Consecutive or concurrent ??
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson