NYPD going to 5-lb trigger pull

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

docachna

NYPD going to 5-lb trigger pull

Post by docachna »

So NYPD has been intentionally modifying their service weapons to jack the trigger pull to 12 pounds ?? And now they're going to 5 pounds like the rest of the world ???

Wonder if they made the rookies carry blackjacks and lead-weighted gloves just for old times' sake, too.

https://www.lawofficer.com/nypd-issuing ... -accuracy/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: NYPD going to 5-lb trigger pull

Post by WhyNot »

When we took the class at Middletown PD we installed the NY trigger, extra really horrible on 1st shot. I remember a red spring. Trade off, extra crisp trigger rest / 2nd shot. Which I thought kinda strange.

From the article...

''The department has been testing a 9mm firearm (specific weapon was not mentioned) with a trigger pull of five pounds after using a firearm with a 12-pound pull for more than 100 years, NYPD said.''

Did the revolvers and/ or 1911s of 100 YEARS :P ago actually even have a 12 pound trigger??? Sounds kinda far fetched to me :P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

WhyNot wrote:
Did the revolvers and/ or 1911s of 100 YEARS :P ago actually even have a 12 pound trigger??? Sounds kinda far fetched to me :P
NYPD never* authorized 1911 pistols. Revolvers only, best I know, until the mid to late 1980s. In the 50s they issued some S&W Model 10s with a manual safety built into the cylinder release. Apparently the gizmo was fragile or unreliable.

All their revolvers were double action, which meant 12 lbs or so of double action pull weight.

* Never say never, I have no idea what some of their spec ops people might have been allowed to carry.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

If I remember correctly (and I probably don't :( ) I thought Mas Ayoob wrote something once about the NYPD used to use DA/SA revolvers for a while, and if a cop wanted an accurate shot they could cock the hammer manually and fire SA. Some lawyer or prosecutor filed either a suit or prosecution after an officer involved shooting and claimed the officer did not intentionally shoot the suspect, as the cop testified to, but rather accidentally fired after cocking the gun. The attorney couldn't make a charge or suit stick if it was intentional, based on other factors in the case, but could if it was accidental. If I recall correctly the attorney did not end up winning but after that the PD went to DA only revolvers so that this particular argument couldn't ever be brought up in court again. :(
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

AIM Surplus down here has gotten in batches of NYPD trade in Glock handguns with that heavy trigger pull weight. They would also stock replacement parts to restore the guns to the standard 5lb pull, for just a few bucks. Money well spent, I'd say.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.