regon shooting victim Families sue firearm magazine maker

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

regon shooting victim Families sue firearm magazine maker

Post by Bruenor »

Just going to ignore plcaa, and file anyway.
https://www.whio.com/news/local/familie ... SU5KOIFXA/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lawyers representing the families of four of the nine people killed in the Oregon District mass shooting are suing the Nevada-based company that made the 100-round drum magazine the shooter used in the attack.
attorneys allege negligence on the part of Kyung Chang Industry USA, Inc. (KCI) and its related South Korean company. KCI made and sold the 100-round magazine that the FBI says Connor Betts used the night of his murderous rampage. In less than 30 seconds, Betts shot and killed nine and wounded more than 20 others before Dayton police shot and killed him, ending his attack.

“If the Dayton shooter did not have such a large capacity magazine, he would not have been able to inflict the damage that he did,” said Ben Cooper, an attorney and partner with Columbus-based law firm Cooper & Elliot, LLC. “No civilian needs a 100-round magazine. It’s only useful for the military or mass shootings. They’re incredibly dangerous and the companies know that.”
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Re: regon shooting victim Families sue firearm magazine make

Post by M-Quigley »

Has there ever been a court ruling on whether or not the PLCAA applies or not to magazines?
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

M-Quigley wrote:Has there ever been a court ruling on whether or not the PLCAA applies or not to magazines?
Good question. Since some states want to regulate them through gun control laws, I would thing they would be covered since firearm manufacturers and retailers are. but when has logic ever played a factor.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Bruenor wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:Has there ever been a court ruling on whether or not the PLCAA applies or not to magazines?
Good question. Since some states want to regulate them through gun control laws, I would thing they would be covered since firearm manufacturers and retailers are. but when has logic ever played a factor.

"(4) QUALIFIED PRODUCT- The term `qualified product' means a firearm (as defined in subparagraph (A) or (B) of section 921(a)(3) of title 18, United States Code), including any antique firearm (as defined in section 921(a)(16) of such title), or ammunition (as defined in section 921(a)(17)(A) of such title), or a component part of a firearm or ammunition, that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce."

So I guess the question is whether or not a magazine is a component part of a firearm..... I am sure this is the angle the Plaintiffs are taking; that it is not.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The part of this that is ironic is the perp in this incident was a liberal gun control supporter. If I remember correctly some around theorized that furthering gun control may have been part of his purpose and that he timed his incident right after the shooting in TX to create a storm of media attention to "gun violence". Plus correct me if I am wrong but a lot of drum magazines are prone to jamming.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

FormerNavy wrote:
Bruenor wrote:

"(4) QUALIFIED PRODUCT- The term `qualified product' means a firearm (as defined in subparagraph (A) or (B) of section 921(a)(3) of title 18, United States Code), including any antique firearm (as defined in section 921(a)(16) of such title), or ammunition (as defined in section 921(a)(17)(A) of such title), or a component part of a firearm or ammunition, that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce."

So I guess the question is whether or not a magazine is a component part of a firearm..... I am sure this is the angle the Plaintiffs are taking; that it is not.
I wish them well spending all the best Brady money
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.