Remington offers 33 Mil settlement to Sandy hook families

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Remington offers 33 Mil settlement to Sandy hook families

Post by Bruenor »

Bad precedent. at least it's a settlement offer and not something that was due to a judgement..

https://ground.news/article/remington-o ... medium=rd1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Remington Arms Co on Tuesday offered to pay nearly $33 million to nine families to settle lawsuits claiming that its marketing of firearms contributed to the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, where 26 people died. The proposed settlements would provide $3.66 million to relatives of each victim, subject to approval by a federal judge overseeing Remington's bankruptcy case in Alabama.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Remington offers 33 Mil settlement to Sandy hook familie

Post by WY_Not »

Absolutely horrible decision. They just hosed EVERY other firearms manufacturer. :evil: Perhaps they were better off in the dustbin of bankruptcy.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

WY_Not wrote:Absolutely horrible decision. They just hosed EVERY other firearms manufacturer. :evil: Perhaps they were better off in the dustbin of bankruptcy.
Probably a decision made by the bankruptcy attorneys instead of Remington's attorneys and management.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Perhaps, but they just threw themselves and every other firearm manufacturer under the bus and opened themselves and others up to future lawsuits. Bad enough that the judges involved are willfully ignoring the law. :evil:
schmieg wrote:
WY_Not wrote:Absolutely horrible decision. They just hosed EVERY other firearms manufacturer. :evil: Perhaps they were better off in the dustbin of bankruptcy.
Probably a decision made by the bankruptcy attorneys instead of Remington's attorneys and management.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Settled for $73 million plus documents the parents wanted.
Four insurers for the now-bankrupt company agreed to pay the full amount of coverage available, totaling $73 million, the plaintiffs said.
https://apnews.com/article/sandy-hook-s ... 275a4df403
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I'm going to sue Taco Bell for being over my ideal weight per the BMI charts.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

jeep45238 wrote:I'm going to sue Taco Bell for being over my ideal weight per the BMI charts.
Make sure to sue Oneida as well for making that efficient delivery device ... the Fork.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Bruenor wrote:
jeep45238 wrote:I'm going to sue Taco Bell for being over my ideal weight per the BMI charts.
Make sure to sue Oneida as well for making that efficient delivery device ... the Fork.
Beer companies, Car companies, they will all be on the hook for BS lawsuits if the settlement is approved by the judge.
Black Rifles Matter
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Here's hoping that the spectre of bankruptcy finds Remington again soon.

If the judge had any integrity, this never would have made it to court in the first place. Settling just sets a horrible precedent. It will embolden other money grubbing parasites to try again and again.

Doesn't matter if it sets a legal precedent or not. It emboldens those who would ignore the law to try again and continue to harass legitimate businesses till they bleed to death. There are supposed to be laws on the book to protect the industry from this sort of harassment.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

More detail and a statement from NSSF on the settlement

After today’s announcement that the lawsuit had been settled, the NSSF released the following statement, which contains some pretty important details that are likely to be glossed over by most media outlets. Here’s the statement in its entirety, with some comments to follow.

The decision to settle in the Soto v. Bushmaster case was not made by a member of the firearms industry. The settlement was reached between the plaintiffs and the various insurance carriers that held policies with Remington Outdoor Company (ROC), which effectively no longer exists.

As part of bankruptcy court proceedings, the assets of ROC were sold at auction in September of 2020. Remington Outdoor Company, which owned the Bushmaster brand, effectively ceased to exist as a going concern. The lawsuit, however, continued against the estate of the Remington Outdoor Company, essentially ROC’s insurers and their insurance policies in effect at the time.
more
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

As I said, settlement by the bankruptcy attorneys and not Remington. The insurance companies factored in the cost of settlement versus the cost of continuing litigation and probable appeals and went for the most cost effective course. This is easier when there is no insured who may object to settlement as was the case here.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I sold most of my Remingtons at the last gun show at which I had a table. Glad I did.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Javelin Man wrote:I sold most of my Remingtons at the last gun show at which I had a table. Glad I did.
My only Remington is the Remington 720 awarded to my father by the Secretary of the Navy for winning the National Match Senior Division in 1970 and 1972. Never been fired and there are no plans to fire it in the future.
-- Mike

docachna

Post by docachna »

Glenn Beck about the implications.

https://www.theblaze.com/shows/the-glen ... belltitem2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE