Hamilton Co. (Oh) Sheriff has vehicle, firearm stolen

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Hamilton Co. (Oh) Sheriff has vehicle, firearm stolen

Post by Brian D. »

I'm terrible at posting links but anyone else feel free to do so. By the way Hamilton County is the Cincinnati area.

To be honest the sheriff's account of what happened doesn't sound quite right to me. This will be interesting to follow.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pirateguy191

Re: Hamilton Co. (Oh) Sheriff has vehicle, firearm stolen

Post by pirateguy191 »

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I wonder if they are talking about a pistol, rifle or shotgun. From what I understand a lot of the "locks" can be undone with a handcuff key which are available to the general public.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
dademoss

Post by dademoss »

News reports it as a pistol.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The sheriff's story has apparently changed a bit as she's been interviewed. The theory that the key fob was possibly cloned seems ludicrous considering the low rent neighborhood the car was recovered from. Sophisticated vehicle thieves don't live or operate out of there.

It's also "interesting" that she and a couple of city council critters have been gum flapping about "the gun violence epidemic" quite a bit lately. "Lock up your guns, lock up your cars!!" etcetera. Almost feels like a stage play.

********************************************************************************
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:The sheriff's story has apparently changed a bit as she's been interviewed. The theory that the key fob was possibly cloned seems ludicrous considering the low rent neighborhood the car was recovered from. Sophisticated vehicle thieves don't live or operate out of there.

It's also "interesting" that she and a couple of city council critters have been gum flapping about "the gun violence epidemic" quite a bit lately. "Lock up your guns, lock up your cars!!" etcetera. Almost feels like a stage play.
I was thinking the same thing as the bolded when I read the link.

I was talking about the issue of key fob cloning with the families cyber security tech expert over the weekend and from what he related, you don't have to be a sophisticated thief to use the equipment (that you can easily get online) to clone someone's key fobs. You do have to be in range of the fob transmission in order to clone it however. In fact it's so easy that with this equipment almost anyone can do it. We've got a couple of cars what have remote access key fobs and push button start, but they are kept in a garage and anyone that tries to get close enough to our property to clone anything would be detected. Also our fobs have the ability to be put on standby so they don't transmit a signal for someone to clone by simply pressing a combo of buttons. (for specific instructions on how to put key fobs on standby check your owners manual or check online)

The few times that I ever have to drive to anyplace in Hamilton County I usually take the 20 year old car with no key fobs, manual everything, including a manual transmission. If I have to leave the car unattended there's nothing of any great value inside.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hey now M-Q let's not disparage the entire county I happen to reside in, okay? :lol:

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

The few times that I ever have to drive to anyplace in Hamilton County I usually take the 20 year old car with no key fobs, manual everything, including a manual transmission. If I have to leave the car unattended there's nothing of any great value inside.
Or...use the key? No keyfob press? If I understand this CRIMINAL USE of tech it can only work to intercept a signal being transmitted. Am I correct?

I admit, my vehicle is sooo old I don't have to depress the brake to shift. There's no airbags. I do however, have factory air, cruise control. Quite the modern technology for the era :P . Door locks and windows are manual but the next up-model package had electric win/door/mirror. If U had that pkg U WERE CRUIS'N, the envy of your friends :roll: :mrgreen:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:Hey now M-Q let's not disparage the entire county I happen to reside in, okay? :lol:
:lol: sorry, no, the problem isn't the entire county, although I'm still armed before I start out as I have to drive thru the good parts to get to the not so good parts.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WhyNot wrote:
Or...use the key? No keyfob press? If I understand this CRIMINAL USE of tech it can only work to intercept a signal being transmitted. Am I correct?
Yes but the fob transmits all the time, whether it's pressed or not, unless it's put on standby or sleep mode. There's allegedly been cases of thieves being outside of peoples house trying to intercept the signal of a fob laying or hanging around. For those fobs that you can't put on standby they sell a product online called a faraday pouch, which is simply an aluminum foil lined pouch. Or you could just make your own. Allegedly it's the cars with push button start with the greatest chance of being stolen, because if you clone the signal you can not only get into the car you can start it and drive away also.

Putting a key fob on standby mode isn't just for theft protection. Let's say you have a spare fob you rarely use. Putting it on standby makes the battery last longer. :)
WhyNot wrote: I admit, my vehicle is sooo old I don't have to depress the brake to shift. There's no airbags. I do however, have factory air, cruise control. Quite the modern technology for the era :P . Door locks and windows are manual but the next up-model package had electric win/door/mirror. If U had that pkg U WERE CRUIS'N, the envy of your friends :roll: :mrgreen:
That's pretty old all right. I at least have airbags in mine, 2 actually. :) I don't have to press the brake either but I do have to press the clutch pedal. The AC is factory but the cruise is aftermarket, because it's a stick shift. With car thieves the problem isn't manual windows but manual transmissions. Apparently some car jackers don't like stick shifts. You can google it and see stories on a regular basis about how some car jacker got in, found out it was a manual and got out. Most of the time they simply car jack someone else but on one occasion they were mad at the unarmed car owner and got out and shot him after he got in and found out it was a stick shift. The key words here are "unarmed car owner" and the car jacker "got out and shot him". Had the car owner been armed the story might've turned out differently. Unlike car jackers, I would imagine though if someone was actually planning in advance on stealing a particular car with a stick shift that they would at least know how to drive a manual transmission.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:Yes but the fob transmits all the time, whether it's pressed or not, unless it's put on standby or sleep mode.
I have never heard that before, can you point me to something to read up on the topic?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

JustaShooter wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:Yes but the fob transmits all the time, whether it's pressed or not, unless it's put on standby or sleep mode.
I have never heard that before, can you point me to something to read up on the topic?
Used to be a great website called rfid-insecurity.org Wish I had saved the videos from it..

They did a demo where the bad actor sat down next to someone on a bench then got up and walked away.. all of a couple seconds or near proximity. Then went to the gas pump and paid using the chip info from the victims credit card..

Second demo was for a vehicle key fob. cloned it then started the vehicle using the laptop and rfid transmitter with the cloned info.

here's a news report on the vehicle hacking..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk_fTTlGcMA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson