John Stafford of Stafford jewelers charged with agg menacing

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

John Stafford of Stafford jewelers charged with agg menacing

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/promine ... RB6FZWSYM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If he has surveillance video of the incident and it confirms that it went down exactly as he said, he might beat the charge.Obviously they are going to be holding clubs, they're golfing, and they apparently have a legal right to golf through that property. I guess a lot depends on how the club is held and whether video has audio or not. Otherwise it will be he said they said.

Does anybody know if golf carts can damage septic lines? I've been told trucks and cars can.
“A guy pulled a gun on us, brought his dog over,” a golfer said when he called 911. “He said he won’t back down. He keeps threatening us.”

New video obtained by News Center 7 through a public records request showed a portion of the argument that happened on the fairway of the golf club on Mead Road. It does not actually show Stafford pulling out a gun.

“This is my yard (expletive),” Stafford told a group of golfers in the cell phone video.

“You pulled a gun. You pulled a gun,” one of the golfers said to Stafford.

“Yeah because he came at me. You’re in my yard. Once you stepped in my yard you had a problem,” Stafford is heard saying in the video.

Police body camera video shows accounts from several people, on both sides, who are involved in the investigation.

“Once he gets on my property and I feel threatened, that he’s got the golf club in his hand, he’s probably going to hit me, or hit the dog, I pulled out my weapon and said you guys get off my property, you’re not supposed to have golf carts on here,” Stafford told two Sugarcreek Twp. officers. “Now I didn’t say I was going to shoot anybody, I didn’t say I was going to do anything.”
Stafford told police the golfers were being loud and were driving a golf cart on his land, against club rules.

Greene County records News Center 7 obtained Tuesday, following a records request, shows the golf course does cut across a section of Stafford’s land, but golfers are allowed to play there.

An easement signed in July 1991 between Greene Tree Development Inc. and Sugar Valley Country Club involves a portion of Stafford’s property. The easement for the plot of land was in place prior to a home being built on it and transferred to future owners, records show.

The easement said Sugar Valley could use a portion of the property exclusively for part of its’ golf course, but that the property owner could use it for a subsurface sanitary disposal area.

“The above described grant of Easement and Right of Way from Sugar Valley to Greene Tree shall be for future subsurface sanitary disposal area purposes only and Sugar Valley retains the right to use said premises for any purposes not inconsistent with the granting of a subsurface sanitary disposal area easement,” the easement agreement read.

Stafford told police he felt threatened during the incident.

“Per Ohio law – I have a right to stand there and I don’t have to give up my position on my property,” Stafford said.

“If you feel like your life was in danger,” the officer responded.

“Well he came at me with a golf club. And he’s telling me he’s gonna kick my (expletive). He knows who I am...he’s coming after me. So, what would you do…he’s within six feet of me,” Stafford said.

The golfers told police what they said happened that prompted the calls for police to respond.

“He kept antagonizing us antagonizing us and bringing his dog – he goes I’ll just shoot everybody and like we’re standing there – you know – confrontation and he pulls a gun – it’s him there me here him there and he goes like this right here, two foot from our face, he goes, I’ll shoot all of you…just like that I said I’m calling the cops,” one of the golfers said.

During the investigation an officer said “we’re going to have to arrest him.” Within a few minutes, officers return to Stafford’s home and put him in handcuffs, the body camera video shows.

News Center 7 cameras were at the police station when officers led Stafford inside. He was issued a citation for misdemeanor aggravated menacing, which could result in up to six months in jail if he’s convicted on the charge. He’s scheduled to appear in court on June 7 at 9 a.m.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: John Stafford of Stafford jewelers charged with agg mena

Post by evan price »

Anything that compacts the soil can prevent a leach field from working right and heavy vehicles can break or collapse the tile, however a properly designed and installed system has no trouble with the occasional light equipment such as a lawn tractor or golf cart.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Golf carts weigh about 550 lbs..hardly enough to cause damage.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Golf carts weigh about 550 lbs..hardly enough to cause damage.
Not counting occupants and their sets of frustration sticks, right? :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Are the Stafford stores posted prohibiting firearms carry? If so, that would give this story a nice twist of irony.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I wonder if this is going to be a test of Ohio's new so called stand your ground law, since he didn't retreat into his house. (he is no longer required to) This is assuming there isn't any actual evidence against him in his version of events versus theirs.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Golf carts weigh about 550 lbs..hardly enough to cause damage.
That's how much the extra golf balls you have to carry weigh. :P :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:
Not counting occupants and their sets of frustration sticks, right? :mrgreen:
The last time I saw anyone on a golf cart, the occupants combined looked like they weighed way over 550. It was the first time I felt sorry for a golf cart. :roll:
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Update: Special prosecutor is asking for charges to be dismissed

https://www.whio.com/news/local/prosecu ... HL5VV67FM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

evan price wrote:Anything that compacts the soil can prevent a leach field from working right and heavy vehicles can break or collapse the tile, however a properly designed and installed system has no trouble with the occasional light equipment such as a lawn tractor or golf cart.

I'll second that.

If a golf cart damages your septic system, you should sue your plumber.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Charges being dismissed due to lack of evidence...he said/he said. Part of the reason I have surveillance cameras at my home and business...and for the record, far from having a no-gun sign on my business I pay for concealed carry lessons and permits for my employees. Paying for a second round soon, 3 new hires.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

^^that’s fantastic, I’ve not heard of any employers that do that.

Any “conscientious objectors” ? Does that affect the hiring process?

What if a potential employee simply doesn’t have the right attitude to go armed?

I find this side track quite interesting.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

I liked to hire hillbillies. They come pre-armed.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I don't want to highjack this post so I started another topic and answered questions in the OP:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

EricTheBald wrote:
evan price wrote:Anything that compacts the soil can prevent a leach field from working right and heavy vehicles can break or collapse the tile, however a properly designed and installed system has no trouble with the occasional light equipment such as a lawn tractor or golf cart.
I'll second that.

If a golf cart damages your septic system, you should sue your plumber.
As soft as the clay in my yard is when it's soaked, like now.. I keep everything off my leech field, and the rest of the yard, otherwise it's turfed and full of tire ruts.
I think my first mowing last year was June, before the yard was dry enough for me to drive the mower on it.. otherwise the mower sinks the the axles / deck.
I dunno if you've ever tried to get a Zero turn unstuck but they are a lot heavier than they look, a lot heavier than my Garden tractor was.
Makes me paranoid I'm going to damage the leech field if I get out there too early, I will never buy another property that is this much clay.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson