gun defense success story but with some concerns

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

gun defense success story but with some concerns

Post by M-Quigley »

The concerning parts I underlined and bolded.

Nick Moore became a hero as a 17-year-old allegedly walked into the store with a knife and told employees that he was robbing the store. “I kind of backed up a little bit to see what he was going to do, but I kind of already had [an] inkling in my head of what he was going to do,” he said.

"I put my stuff on the counter, snuck out the door, ran to my car, grabbed my pistol and came back up to the door — and as I came up the door, he just turned to look at me. I racked my slide on my pistol and pointed it at him and he put his hands up," Moore said. After coming back inside the store, he told the teenager to put down his knife and lay face-down on the floor while waiting for law enforcement to arrive.

Once the authorities arrived, the teenager was placed under arrest and charged with attempted robbery in the first degree, and third degree assault.

Would he have used the gun?

Moore sure drew the gun out in order to prevent a robbery from happening, and possibly to avoid things from escalating. The question then stands that would Moore have used the gun? The answer is no.

Moore said that while he wasn’t planning on using his gun, he sure is glad that he had it on him for such a situation. Moore admits that he feels having a gun deters crime, "They’re a shield against thieves, a deterrent against most crimes if people if people know that your establishment could be armed or people in that establishment could be armed."

IMHO you should never pull a gun on someone unless you intent on pulling the trigger if it should escalate to where shooting is needed. Sometimes you hear people shorten this comment to "Don't pull a gun unless you intent to use it." The problem is what is meant by "use". If someone has a contact type weapon (knife, bat, crowbar, etc) and is a good distance away, "using" a handgun by pointing it might be a safe option. I've done that, when someone tried to rob me once with a knife. I didn't shoot because I didn't have to, the guy dropped the knife and ran away. The thing is though, had he decided to attack me with that knife I would've shot him, as many times as needed to end the threat. I wouldn't have just stood her and get stabbed or sliced.

Had the robber chose to escalate it and the guy would've been forced to shoot, the 1st bolded part might be a problem in some jurisdictions. If you can carry concealed it's better to have it on you than leave it in your car. IDK however if that guy could legally carry concealed in Alaska, so that might've been the reason. Unfortunately in my unenlightened state you can't have a loaded handgun in your car either unless you have a CC license. You can open carry without a license, but not in a car.

Also what would the guy have done if when the robber first saw him his reaction wasn't to just look at him but attack? He racked the slide of the pistol AFTER going inside? Would he have able to rack the slide under an attack from a knife?

https://meaww.com/nick-moore-legal-pist ... un-control" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: gun defense success story but with some concerns

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:The concerning parts I underlined and bolded.

Nick Moore became a hero as a 17-year-old allegedly walked into the store with a knife and told employees that he was robbing the store. “I kind of backed up a little bit to see what he was going to do, but I kind of already had [an] inkling in my head of what he was going to do,” he said.

"I put my stuff on the counter, snuck out the door, ran to my car, grabbed my pistol and came back up to the door — and as I came up the door, he just turned to look at me. I racked my slide on my pistol and pointed it at him and he put his hands up," Moore said. After coming back inside the store, he told the teenager to put down his knife and lay face-down on the floor while waiting for law enforcement to arrive.

Once the authorities arrived, the teenager was placed under arrest and charged with attempted robbery in the first degree, and third degree assault.

Would he have used the gun?

Moore sure drew the gun out in order to prevent a robbery from happening, and possibly to avoid things from escalating. The question then stands that would Moore have used the gun? The answer is no.

Moore said that while he wasn’t planning on using his gun, he sure is glad that he had it on him for such a situation. Moore admits that he feels having a gun deters crime, "They’re a shield against thieves, a deterrent against most crimes if people if people know that your establishment could be armed or people in that establishment could be armed."

IMHO you should never pull a gun on someone unless you intent on pulling the trigger if it should escalate to where shooting is needed. Sometimes you hear people shorten this comment to "Don't pull a gun unless you intent to use it." The problem is what is meant by "use". If someone has a contact type weapon (knife, bat, crowbar, etc) and is a good distance away, "using" a handgun by pointing it might be a safe option. I've done that, when someone tried to rob me once with a knife. I didn't shoot because I didn't have to, the guy dropped the knife and ran away. The thing is though, had he decided to attack me with that knife I would've shot him, as many times as needed to end the threat. I wouldn't have just stood her and get stabbed or sliced.

Had the robber chose to escalate it and the guy would've been forced to shoot, the 1st bolded part might be a problem in some jurisdictions. If you can carry concealed it's better to have it on you than leave it in your car. IDK however if that guy could legally carry concealed in Alaska, so that might've been the reason. Unfortunately in my unenlightened state you can't have a loaded handgun in your car either unless you have a CC license. You can open carry without a license, but not in a car.
Alaska is a Constitutional carry state for those over 21 who are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm. The article quoted does not specify Moore's age, but it is likely he could have carried concealed.

Also what would the guy have done if when the robber first saw him his reaction wasn't to just look at him but attack? He racked the slide of the pistol AFTER going inside? Would he have able to rack the slide under an attack from a knife?
He should have racked the slide prior to entering. I recall missing only one question on the test when I obtained my license and it depended on how you define "use." The statement was that you should not have a round in the chamber unless you intend to use the gun - T/F. I chose F as I believe a round should be chambered whenever you carry it as a self defense weapon, but I did not (do not) consider that to be "using" the firearm and I challenged the question on that basis, not that it did me any good. However, I agree with you that if you pull the firearm, you should be prepared to use it if necessary, but also be prepared to not use it if the threat evaporates as it did here. I don't know what was in Moore's mind when he answered that question, but the question and the answer are both ambiguous.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
jag1954

Post by jag1954 »

I tend to go by the adage that my CCW instructor told me, "Don't be a hero." Things could have gone badly both ways in that scenario.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote: He should have racked the slide prior to entering. I recall missing only one question on the test when I obtained my license and it depended on how you define "use." The statement was that you should not have a round in the chamber unless you intend to use the gun - T/F. I chose F as I believe a round should be chambered whenever you carry it as a self defense weapon, but I did not (do not) consider that to be "using" the firearm and I challenged the question on that basis, not that it did me any good. However, I agree with you that if you pull the firearm, you should be prepared to use it if necessary, but also be prepared to not use it if the threat evaporates as it did here. I don't know what was in Moore's mind when he answered that question, but the question and the answer are both ambiguous.
Thanks, I hadn't considered that. I don't consider carrying to be "using" it either, but whoever wrote that test doesn't care of course. By that standard, I'm "using" my money or credit card when I'm carrying my wallet, or "using" my cell phone when it's being carried. :roll:
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Just IMHO, but going outside to grab a gun, and then going back inside, these days, could get you crucified.... Or worse....

:twisted:

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
docachna

Post by docachna »

SMMAssociates wrote:Just IMHO, but going outside to grab a gun, and then going back inside, these days, could get you crucified.... Or worse....

:twisted:

Regards,
I certainly agree. Unfortunately.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
marca

Post by marca »

Going back in to protect innocents is perfectly OK. Going back in without a round chambered was dumb.