I'll say it: Looks like OFCC is finished. :/

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

I'll say it: Looks like OFCC is finished. :/

Post by JU-87 »

I'll say the obvious: It looks like Ohioans for Concealed Carry,(as far as being a effective organization) is finished. :(

The main page has not been updated in a YEAR. I've read, and been told that OFCC is "broke" financially.

I pose this question: How can we work toward improving our 2A rights here in Ohio?

I think I've found the answer. I'm not renewing my longtime membership in OFCC. I joined Buckeye Firearms Association month's ago. https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I understand that BFA was "birthed" from OFCC years ago, and that there may still be some hard feelings/animosity. I think the smart move would be to acknowledge but move past those differences,
and combine what little resources OFCC has left with BFA.

We can ALL do more. We can ALL be more effective.

Sincerely.
Daniel Lapp
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: I'll say it: Looks like OFCC is finished. :/

Post by carmen fovozzo »

1460 posts in 16 years.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Time for the ''effective organization'' e.g. OFCC to sing out a little, what's been going on behind scenes etc.

Although ANYTHING done with limited ca$h is one shoe off before the whistle blows, in ANY race.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

What would you ask OFCC to do ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JU-87 I'm sure you've figured out by now that the BFA forums are pretty dull. When I helped as an administrator there the only real activity was spam bots trying to join.

By comparison this forum is busy like the (pre-Covid) downtown of a big city.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

JU-87

I'll take a break from receiving this overwhelming amount of adulation and praise from OFCC brass for telling the difficult/unpopular truths over the past decade plus :roll: to address your concern.

BFA is perhaps better funded than OFCC, but they're not pro 2A. They're giving DeWhine cover on many bad ideas. They're for GCA/NFA, Brady "improvements", etc. In short, BFA will be right where you think OFCC is (a non-factor) in short order. So, if you're into rinse and repeat under a different banner, I bid you farewell and happy hunting.

The failure of any 2A group is their disloyalty to the actual agenda their patrons desire.
People wish to help strengthen RKBA, but they lack leadership and the ear of the legislature.

Any 2A group needs to become large enough to get the legislature's ear and then not compromise on the agenda. If the agenda is betrayed, then there is no second act for the legislator. Party loyalty means NOTHING, as demonstrated over the past how many years? The endorsement needs to be valuable and desirable. It's the currency of the organization. If the candidate can not be enthusiastically endorsed, then the endorsement is withheld and the candidate is opposed. Will some candidates win without the endorsement, yes, but on a race-by race, district-by-district case.

A great first step would be admitting the failure of CHLs as a strategy towards Constitutional Carry. Be honest that the half-baked half-measure hasn't moved the Columbus Swamp towards honoring their oaths or restoring the militia, with 2A says is "NECESSARY to the security of a free state".

OFCC must dedicate itself to calling out people who betray the agenda, regardless of party. Accept no substitutes. Splenda is not sugar. Egg Beaters ain't eggs. An S-10 is not an F-350. The R means squat.

Just spitballing...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
khufford

Post by khufford »

JU-87 wrote:I'll say the obvious: It looks like Ohioans for Concealed Carry,(as far as being a effective organization) is finished. :(

The main page has not been updated in a YEAR. I've read, and been told that OFCC is "broke" financially.

I pose this question: How can we work toward improving our 2A rights here in Ohio?

I think I've found the answer. I'm not renewing my longtime membership in OFCC. I joined Buckeye Firearms Association month's ago. https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I understand that BFA was "birthed" from OFCC years ago, and that there may still be some hard feelings/animosity. I think the smart move would be to acknowledge but move past those differences,
and combine what little resources OFCC has left with BFA.

We can ALL do more. We can ALL be more effective.

Sincerely.
Daniel Lapp
Hey boss.

Been a while since I've posted on here but I get a glimpse at what is going on behind the scenes. I am in no way a decision maker for OFCC but whether it was working a gunshow or donating door prizes to PITP, over the years I've tried to be involved as much as possible (until the last couple years due to some personal issues).

OFCC has always been a member driven organization. You get back what you put into it. I'm sorry to see you go, but honestly we don't need the drama. If OFCC is not the place for you, that's fine. Move along.

Do we have our share of problems? Absolutely. COVID has killed us. We were hoping to get some $$ from lawsuits and from fundraisers but (and I hate this saying) it is what it is.

There are still things going on behind the scenes. If you think OFCC had nothing to do with the recent victory on removing the duty to retreat you are sadly mistaken. We are still making a difference. Our endorsements still mean something. We are not just a website.

My 2 pennies.
Some random nobody...
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:What would you ask OFCC to do ?
Show a Pulse.

Or update the main page weekly.

Or monthly.

Or quarterly.

Or semi-annually.

Or annually.

Or send out a email alert on a current CCW related issue.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

khufford wrote:...

There are still things going on behind the scenes.
Really? Like what exactly? Please share some details. Or are they "too secret"? :wink:
khufford wrote: If you think OFCC had nothing to do with the recent victory on removing the duty to retreat you are sadly mistaken.
I DO think OFCC had nothing to do with it. Prove me wrong with details.
khufford wrote:We are still making a difference.
How? Again, please give details.
khufford wrote: Our endorsements still mean something.
I don't think so. When was the last time OFCC endorsed a candidate/issue?
khufford wrote: We are not just a website.
False. Look at the main page. Today, all OFCC is-is this forum.

I'd like to be wrong on OFCC being finished. But when I look at it objectively, and not emotionally, it is.
Convince me I'm wrong, and I will renew with my usual Patron membership.

Best regards.

khufford

Post by khufford »

JU-87 wrote:
khufford wrote:...

There are still things going on behind the scenes.
Really? Like what exactly? Please share some details. Or are they "too secret"? :wink:
khufford wrote: If you think OFCC had nothing to do with the recent victory on removing the duty to retreat you are sadly mistaken.
I DO think OFCC had nothing to do with it. Prove me wrong with details.
khufford wrote:We are still making a difference.
How? Again, please give details.
khufford wrote: Our endorsements still mean something.
I don't think so. When was the last time OFCC endorsed a candidate/issue?
khufford wrote: We are not just a website.
False. Look at the main page. Today, all OFCC is-is this forum.

I'd like to be wrong on OFCC being finished. But when I look at it objectively, and not emotionally, it is.
Convince me I'm wrong, and I will renew with my usual Patron membership.

Best regards.
I'm not going tit for tat with you and it's not my place to share anything. I'm just here to tell you that this might not be the right org for you (seems you already came to this conclusion) so why not just move along?

I wish you the best...
Some random nobody...
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Thanks for the reminder...I just renewed my OFCC membership.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
khufford

Post by khufford »

sodbuster95 wrote:Thanks for the reminder...I just renewed my OFCC membership.
I did mine today too but my site supporter thing isn't showing up. Probably my fault, renewal was long overdue.
Some random nobody...
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

khufford wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:Thanks for the reminder...I just renewed my OFCC membership.
I did mine today too but my site supporter thing isn't showing up. Probably my fault, renewal was long overdue.
I renewed mine last week. 8)
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Guys, I'm sorry as h-e-double hockey sticks for not posting here like I should be.
I won't give you excuses, but I will give you my take on the last legislative session.

You will remember it started out with the emergency legislation to fix the previous GA's screw up, a screw up that we, OFCC, found and brought to the attention of everyone else. At the time everyone was saying it wasn't a big deal and emergency legislation wasn't necessary, and in the end it got exactly what we said was needed, and they even used our words in the bill.

Scott Wiggam, our ball carrier on repealing notification, introduced repealing Duty to Retreat, in the form that Larry Householder told him to, which was a form that was unacceptable to us; not notifying would still be a crime, but one with a lesser penalty. Larry Householder was/is MY representative and I was not happy. (He's only made me more unhappy since)

So, right before the TEOTWAWKI with Larry, he tells Scotty to amend HB 142 to read the way we want it, Scotty tells me and I'm happy once again, calling house members and drumming up support. It gets to the Senate and I get to Bill Coley's office, who flat out tells me that refusing to notify ought to be a crime, period. He then tells me that they're going to give us something big that we'll like and won't say what, so I bring up all the House bills for SYG, Constitutional Carry etc, and ask him if he really believes both chambers will act on them in time, and he looks smug. I say for God's sake don't make some late night last minute not thought out changes and screw it up like last year and he showed us out. (They fist bump instead of shaking hands now-a-days down there)

Senator Coley used his final lame duck to insert/amend HB 142 include some lame bill of his that was dying a painful death over in the House and it never got a Senate vote, he did EXACTLY what I asked him NOT to do.
I won't miss him a bit

Terry Johnson's office tells me that his second SYG companion bill, number doesn't matter, (it was the same language from our first effort in 2013), was going to be inserted into a bill, and they didn't know which one yet, but they knew when.
I took the day off work (unpaid) and went to see the show for myself.

I've had a rough year, personally. my leg swelled up to twice it's size with some infection and I used a whole years worth of time off before the COVID made itself known. When the head of OSU Radiology died from it, I took myself out of work on temporary disability and prepared to die, seriously. My heart's output was so low it could NOT draw the water from my leg and I couldn't walk to work it out.
Then I got this brand new (and expensive!) heart medicine and started improving; went back to work after three months.
But we were in the middle of COVID, and all the insanity that went with it. After several arguments with Capitol Square, I finally got the Statehouse lawn booked for Patriots Day, one week after the actual holiday. Then the governor shut down everything, people are screaming at the Statehouse daily about the tyranny of not being allowed to go to work and being forced to wear masks anyway, and before long they had riots at night, so I just kept a low profile, and worked on my health.

The park also canceled our PITP because of the COVID, I'm sorry.

My friend Gary, Mr. Magoo here on the forums and a fellow director for OFCC, would occasionally go to the Statehouse for me, go to a committee hearing and/or testify, sometimes he'd meet them in their offices until the COVID got too big. With no time off work available to me

You used to often see me out front, cheerleading and rousing the troops to email this or call that and make your voice be heard, or putting on and promoting events like Patriots Day or Open Carry walk and picnics. It reached a point where I felt it was more about me than the cause. Gun rights is what we are about, and improving them through legislation and the courts, and it was turning into who can give the best speech and who is the biggest celebrity we can get.

So anyway, this year, I didn't say much publicly. We tried to stay involved and in contact with the bills we (what's the word I'm looking for, engineered?) requested/drafted/petitioned for. I called more than email and I made no calls for attention. I think our approach was well received where you would expect it to be and towards the end of the session several legislators made comparisons in the approach of the different gun groups.

Did we make a difference?
I think we did. I won't share with you private texts and what not, but I will share this photo Terry Johnson took the day they inserted his bill into Tim Shaffer's bill and they both became law:

PS. I didn't proof read this and I know I should have.
It's 3:15 am
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
machinegunkelly

Post by machinegunkelly »

Chuck
Thank you, better health this year.
MGK