Shopping Mall adds firearms detection dogs after shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Shopping Mall adds firearms detection dogs after shooting

Post by Bruenor »

Sounds like a wonderful mall.....
https://www.jsonline.com/story/communit ... 800666001/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Less than two weeks after a shooting at Mayfair mall sent eight to the hospital, the mall announced a new security measure to detect weapons there.

Mall management announced Wednesday they were implementing the Vapor Wake Public Safety Canine Detection Program (VWK9).

The program will use specially trained K-9s, alongside security officers, to patrol the shopping mall and detect firearms.
The program was developed to "mitigate the risk of body-worn explosives and concealed firearms in mass pedestrian areas," according to the company's website.

The K-9s are trained to work in high-flow pedestrian areas. The company is partners with several police and fire departments across the nation, along with the Transportation Security Administration and Amtrak.

"They (K-9s) can accurately screen hundreds of people unobtrusively passing through an entry point in a nonintrusive way,"
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Shopping Mall adds firearms detection dogs after shootin

Post by Mr. Glock »

It’s the height of irresponsibility to have a gun-free zone and no extra security to protect the unarmed masses.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Similar but , similar. Here in Ohio

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/beach ... r-BB1bmtBX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/beach ... r-BB1bmtBX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://fox8.com/news/beachwood-place-p ... t-weapons/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This makes me want to get friends together for an indoor range trip, making sure powder and dust from the floor gets on our clothes. Then, we disarm, go to that mall and enter/exit through different doors until the dogs freak out. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, if a dog like that alerts on me and seems even the least bit aggressive, it's getting a blast of pepper spray. For starters.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Brian D. wrote:This makes me want to get friends together for an indoor range trip, making sure powder and dust from the floor gets on our clothes. Then, we disarm, go to that mall and enter/exit through different doors until the dogs freak out. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, if a dog like that alerts on me and seems even the least bit aggressive, it's getting a blast of pepper spray. For starters.
cayenne pepper would work wonders to mask Odor of a firearm. :wink:
Black Rifles Matter
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I will say this, one of my biggest criticisms of gun free zones is that only law abiding citizens cooperate. To be effective you have to actively enforce it. I will give them credit for that. I will also point out that shootings at courthouses are far from unheard of. This is not a deterent to a determined wrongdoer.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

I'm game. Just say when. :twisted:

Way back when the airport kabuki theatre started, I jokingly "threatened" to do something like this before packing for a trip that we had no choice but to fly for.
Brian D. wrote:This makes me want to get friends together for an indoor range trip, making sure powder and dust from the floor gets on our clothes. Then, we disarm, go to that mall and enter/exit through different doors until the dogs freak out. :mrgreen:

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

catfish86 wrote:I will say this, one of my biggest criticisms of gun free zones is that only law abiding citizens cooperate. To be effective you have to actively enforce it. I will give them credit for that. I will also point out that shootings at courthouses are far from unheard of. This is not a deterent to a determined wrongdoer.
A couple of problems with this action is that while it might increase a law abiding shoppers safety against a criminal or group of criminals is

1: It only focused on firearms, and takes away a law abiding citizens right to defend themselves against criminals armed with other deadly weapons.
(unless they have a policy like my nearest mall, which allows for CHL holders to carry concealed in the mall)

2: A lot of crimes occur not in a mall or store but between a car and the door of the store. This doesn't address that potential issue at all. For example, the guy who had someone attempt to rob him at the Dayton Ohio mall did it outside, not inside.

My wife had to enter a Fifth Third bank once in Dayton that had a weapons detection system at the door. The bank is located in a very high crime area. I had to basically walk her to the door and walk her back to the car for her safety.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I agree about the trip from the car to the door. I also agree a good common sense policy is to forbid guns with exception of a valid CCW. The property owner has the right to narrowly ban guns. Not too many gang bangers are able to get a CCW even assuming they were inclined to do this. That goes to my point that absent enforcement, the bad actors will do it anyway. Problem would be using dogs would out the CCW...but I would say they can identify the person and ask for the person to show their CCW.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

Is security armed? A local hospital has everyone pass thru a metal detector before entering the ER, but the entire security force is unarmed. "Okay; you found a gun, what are you going to di about it?"
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

dustymedic wrote:Is security armed? A local hospital has everyone pass thru a metal detector before entering the ER, but the entire security force is unarmed. "Okay; you found a gun, what are you going to di about it?"
How dare you apply critical thinking to their lack of proper security planning. Their security theater makes them feeeeell good.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
eugene

Post by eugene »

When I was in college a couple of the other students in my class would get bored and go to stores and peel security stickers off of products and carefully place them sticky side up near the entrance so people would get them stuck on their shoes and set off the alarm on their way out.

Makes me wonder if someone would accidentally spill powder outside the mall door where it would get stuck on peoples shoes how the dogs would react.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Bruenor wrote:
dustymedic wrote:Is security armed? A local hospital has everyone pass thru a metal detector before entering the ER, but the entire security force is unarmed. "Okay; you found a gun, what are you going to di about it?"
How dare you apply critical thinking to their lack of proper security planning. Their security theater makes them feeeeell good.

Sshhhhhhhhh. Don't give the enemies ideas.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

IDK why a mall would be any different than the The Curtis Culwell Center attack. In that attack the first person shot was an unarmed security guard. The shooters were only stopped by an armed security guard.