12yo suspended - teacher saw toy gun in online class sessio

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Re: 12yo suspended - teacher saw toy gun in online class se

Post by deanimator »

deanimator wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:The teacher shouldn't be ashamed. They were doing what they were told to do, especially if the sessions are recorded. What should be ashamed is the system and the district that cause a mess like this.
I'm not so sure. I've seen a number of reports of teachers declaring that the online sessions should be concealed from parents who should be forbidden from viewing them.

If a cop doesn't want to be recorded in the public performance of his duties, they're up to no good.

If a cop doesn't want parents to know what they're doing, they're up to no good.
Correction: If a TEACHER doesn't want parents to know what they're doing, they're up to no good.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
marca

Post by marca »

deanimator wrote:
Correction: If a TEACHER doesn't want parents to know what they're doing, they're up to no good.
This!!!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

marca wrote:
deanimator wrote:
This!!!
And they've actually come out and ADMITTED that they want to subject children to Marxist indoctrination sessions about which they don't want the parents to know.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

deanimator wrote:
And they've actually come out and ADMITTED that they want to subject children to Marxist indoctrination sessions about which they don't want the parents to know.
In support of the above point...
A Philadelphia teacher wondered on Twitter how educators will cope with “conservative parents" listening in on virtual classes.

Matthew Kay, who teaches English at the Science Leadership Academy, a Philadelphia public school, tweeted over the weekend he is concerned about the “damage” that “helicopter parents” might cause if they overhear lessons on topics such as gender and sexuality, the Daily Wire reported.

“So, this fall, virtual class discussion will have many potential spectators — parents, siblings, etc. — in the same room. We’ll never be quite sure who is overhearing the discourse. What does this do for our equity/inclusion work?” Kay tweeted. “How much have students depended on the (somewhat) secure barriers of our physical classrooms to encourage vulnerability? How many of us have installed some version of ‘what happens here stays here’ to help this?”

Kay then described how “conservative parents” are his chief concern when teachers are engaging “in the messy work of destabilizing a kid’s racism or homophobia or transphobia.”
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

bignflnut wrote:
Kay then described how “conservative parents” are his chief concern when teachers are engaging “in the messy work of destabilizing a kid’s racism or homophobia or transphobia.”
One of my favorite YouTube 1st Amendment auditors has this saying, "Eventually, you'll find the right one.", referring to White people screaming racial slurs at, and sometimes physically attacking Black people. And sometimes they do, getting seriously tuned up for their trouble.

Similarly, some Maoist teacher's going to try to humiliate and verbally abuse the wrong White/straight/Christian kid for his race or beliefs and get turned into an unrecognizable mass of macerated flesh and gristle as if they'd been stomped into the ground by an angry cape buffalo. And it'll be a mother or grandmother who does it.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

kcclark wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:It's been said to me once that almost every election there are people who are running for school boards, and most voters don't have a clue about anything the people who are running for school boards believe.
In my district, it is easy to find out which potential board members are going to do what the teachers' union tells them to do because the teachers' union basically finances their campaigns. In my 15 years here, I remember only one person getting elected to the board who was not teacher union backed/endorsed. Just tough to compete financially aganist the union's $.
Why do school board members even need an outside organization to fund their campaigns? How much money does it take to run for school board? I've never seen an ad for a school board candidate, or even a yard sign. Usually when I vote it says something like "Vote for not more than 3" and there is only 2 names on the ballot.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

M-Quigley wrote: Why do school board members even need an outside organization to fund their campaigns? How much money does it take to run for school board? I've never seen an ad for a school board candidate, or even a yard sign. Usually when I vote it says something like "Vote for not more than 3" and there is only 2 names on the ballot.
My district was a battle zone for a while when it came to levies and the school board. When a levy got defeated, the teacher's union went into action with its $. Since then, they have lost only one school board seat election.

I believe that most of the vocal opposition has raised the white flag. The district has always touted the fine academic standing when pushing levies. When the last levy was up for a vote, the state report card sucked. I figured it was an opening for the opposition. I barely heard a peep.

District got a lot of press in 2012 when we were trying to get a levy repealed. OSC basically said once a levy is "permanent," it really is permanent. Nothing you can do about it.

https://www.ideastream.org/news/ohio-su ... chool-levy

My property taxes have more than doubled since I've lived here. I wanted to move a while ago. My wife wanted to wait until kids were out of school. My youngest one finished this year so now I can escape.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

kcclark wrote: My property taxes have more than doubled since I've lived here. I wanted to move a while ago. My wife wanted to wait until kids were out of school. My youngest one finished this year so now I can escape.
Our local district hammered at the property tax levy every election for years, even tried to slip it through on a special election. it failed every time. Then they switched it from a property tax to an income tax, and that passed. I guess property owners felt that finally everyone would get to chip in not just homeowners so more voted for it. I pay MORE annually on the school levy income tax than I would have for the property tax levy. Then the renewal came up for the school maintenance levy which is a property tax and that passed as well, right after they socked us with the income tax.

I feel your pain, on the school levies, and in my wallet. I want kids to get a good education, but I don't believe it should cost so darn much. we learned just fine as kids with far far less spent per student.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I'll let you in on a little (and poorly kept) secret why schools need more money: teachers' salaries. You're not surprised? About 20 years ago, the state legislature and ODE thought it wise to force every teacher to get a Masters Degree. It made them better teachers, some a lot, some a little, few didn't improve at all, but it bumped them across the pay scale by a couple of columns and got huge raises. Now, teachers are forced to go 35 years instead of the previous 30 to get a full pension that they paid into and that leaves them at the top of the pay scale for another 5 years. Future teachers will need to go to age 65 plus at least 35 years of service. If a teacher gets a job right out of college, they'll be teaching for 40+ years with 10-15 at the top of the scale. Also, how is this supposed to bring in new teachers to the profession if us old geezers stay in? I"m at the top right now and would have retired this past year but must go more. A young whipersnapper could be brought in a a fraction of my salary and start paying off their student loan.

At least I'd know the BB gun on the wall was a toy and even if it was a bolt action Marlin, wouldn't care about what is on the wall in a student's private house. I've gone shooting at Camp Perry with some of my students while they were still in high school.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Javelin Man wrote:the state legislature and ODE thought it wise to force every teacher to get a Masters Degree.
The Masters Degree thing went away when Strickland was governor. Seems that is a well kept secret since most of the teachers I talk with don't know about it. They still want their Masters though because of the bump in pay negotiated in their contracts.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

kcclark wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:the state legislature and ODE thought it wise to force every teacher to get a Masters Degree.
The Masters Degree thing went away when Strickland was governor. Seems that is a well kept secret since most of the teachers I talk with don't know about it. They still want their Masters though because of the bump in pay negotiated in their contracts.
Yep, Strickland did a fair amount of good for education. I also liked that he did away with the Masters mandate. Many teachers were still paying off student loans on the bottom of the salary schedule as they were forced to get into Master program.

Many of the salary schedules stop the raises at a low number of years if you stick with a Bachelors Degree, hence the adding of extra hours or degree to continue to the next level. Back in the '70s was when administrators came up with the salary schedule to make it easier on them to do evaluations.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Ohio >>teachers >>schools >>funding >>taxes~
Repeat, or write it all down in a circle diagram

One thing to NOT forget though, and, insert in any spot along the diagram; the Ohio Supreme Court ruled DECADES AGO, the current school funding SCHEME is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Speaker Bob Cupp (R) has legislation in to change the dollars back to...change....

https://go.tiffinohio.net/2020/08/schoo ... e-speaker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

REMEMBER...your property taxes Vaaaaast majority , approximately 65% across all the state, is , has, and will be declared unconstitutional by the OSC.

Unconstitutional = ILLEGAL
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Bruenor wrote: Our local district hammered at the property tax levy every election for years, even tried to slip it through on a special election. it failed every time. Then they switched it from a property tax to an income tax, and that passed. I guess property owners felt that finally everyone would get to chip in not just homeowners so more voted for it. I pay MORE annually on the school levy income tax than I would have for the property tax levy. Then the renewal came up for the school maintenance levy which is a property tax and that passed as well, right after they socked us with the income tax.

I feel your pain, on the school levies, and in my wallet. I want kids to get a good education, but I don't believe it should cost so darn much. we learned just fine as kids with far far less spent per student.
It also could be that someone who can least afford a tax (the unemployed or retired) still has to pay a property tax. Plus a income tax is usually automatically taken out a little at a time, whereas a property tax is usually due every 6 months. You can't pay it and they can potentially steal your property.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

M-Quigley wrote:
Bruenor wrote: Our local district hammered at the property tax levy every election for years, even tried to slip it through on a special election. it failed every time. Then they switched it from a property tax to an income tax, and that passed. I guess property owners felt that finally everyone would get to chip in not just homeowners so more voted for it. I pay MORE annually on the school levy income tax than I would have for the property tax levy. Then the renewal came up for the school maintenance levy which is a property tax and that passed as well, right after they socked us with the income tax.

It also could be that someone who can least afford a tax (the unemployed or retired) still has to pay a property tax. Plus a income tax is usually automatically taken out a little at a time, whereas a property tax is usually due every 6 months. You can't pay it and they can potentially steal your property.
It got me to thinking today and wondering what exactly do my property taxes pay for ? what is the breakdown.. so I went searching. Did find it on the county auditors site with the property listings.. 2/3 of my taxes go to the schools.. there's 20 different school levies I'm paying on some go back as far as 1976. PLUS the income tax for the school. Guess I always imagined there was one levy out there and when it was renewed it was one levy.. turns out that's not even close.
  • 1. GENEVA AREA CSD CURRENT EXPENSE 1993
    2. GENEVA AREA CSD GENERAL FUND
    3. GENEVA AREA CSD CURRENT EXPENSE 1992
    4. GENEVA AREA CSD CURRENT EXPENSE 1988
    5. GENEVA AREA CSD CURRENT EXPENSE 1981
    6. GENEVA AREA CSD CURRENT EXPENSE 1977
    7. GENEVA AREA CSD CURRENT EXPENSE 1976
    8. GENEVA AREA CSD CURRENT EXPENSE 1976
    9. GENEVA AREA CSD CURRENT EXPENSE 1976
    10. GENEVA AREA CSD CURRENT EXPENSE 1976
    11. GENEVA AREA CSD CURRENT EXPENSE 1976
    12. GENEVA AREA CSD PERMANENT IMPROVEMENT 1999
    13. GENEVA AREA CSD BOND ($23,110,000) 2002
    14. GENEVA AREA CSD CLASSROOM FACILITIES 2007
    15. ASHTABULA CO SCH FINANCING DISTRICT CURRENT EXPENSE 2019
    16. A-TECH PERMANENT IMPROVEMENT 1990
    17. A-TECH DUAL PURPOSE-CURRENT EXPENSE 1976
    18. A-TECH CURRENT EXPENSE 1998
    19. A-TECH CURRENT EXPENSE 1984
    20. A-TECH CURRENT EXPENSE 1981
    + 1.25% income tax
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Bruenor wrote: there's 20 different school levies I'm paying on some go back as far as 1976. PLUS the income tax for the school. Guess I always imagined there was one levy out there and when it was renewed it was one levy.. turns out that's not even close.
Plus the state will not let you repeal a non-permanent levy and the OSC will not let you repeal a permanent levy.

I know I'm NEVER voting for a permanent levy ever again.