Va deputies arrest pastor defending against attackers

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Va deputies arrest pastor defending against attackers

Post by M-Quigley »

A black pastor defending himself at property he owns against 5 white attackers, then when the deputies show up they arrest the pastor for brandishing while the 5 who did the assault look on.

https://www.nvdaily.com/nvdaily/sheriff ... 0fe18.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On June 1, McCray called 911 to report five people assaulting him. After officers from the Sheriff’s Office arrived on the scene, McCray was arrested and charged with brandishing a weapon.

McCray told listeners at an anti-racism protest in Woodstock on June 6 and in a video posted at his church’s Facebook page on Sunday that the gun was his, that he has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and that he was using the gun to save his life.

He said that only one officer at the scene talked with him. McCray said he was denied the opportunity to tell his side of the story until he was released from custody later that night. He made a written statement and the following day arranged to sit down with Carter to discuss what happened.
After the victim talked to the Sheriff the Sheriff promised the charge against the victim would be dropped, and the five have since been charged with assault and a hate crime.
The department is also conducting an internal review, and Carter has placed two staff members on administrative leave without pay while conducting an inquiry.
deanimator

Re: Va deputies arrest pastor defending against attackers

Post by deanimator »

M-Quigley wrote:A black pastor defending himself at property he owns against 5 white attackers, then when the deputies show up they arrest the pastor for brandishing while the 5 who did the assault look on.

https://www.nvdaily.com/nvdaily/sheriff ... 0fe18.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On June 1, McCray called 911 to report five people assaulting him. After officers from the Sheriff’s Office arrived on the scene, McCray was arrested and charged with brandishing a weapon.

McCray told listeners at an anti-racism protest in Woodstock on June 6 and in a video posted at his church’s Facebook page on Sunday that the gun was his, that he has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and that he was using the gun to save his life.

He said that only one officer at the scene talked with him. McCray said he was denied the opportunity to tell his side of the story until he was released from custody later that night. He made a written statement and the following day arranged to sit down with Carter to discuss what happened.
After the victim talked to the Sheriff the Sheriff promised the charge against the victim would be dropped, and the five have since been charged with assault and a hate crime.
The department is also conducting an internal review, and Carter has placed two staff members on administrative leave without pay while conducting an inquiry.
Kind of sounds like the Chicago race riot of 1919 where the Chicago PD sided with Dick Daley and the other [Democrat] arsonists who tried to burn the Black community to the ground.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/5-cha ... 20461.html

A little more background. The pastor is the owner of an apartment complex and the "mob" started as a couple of scrappers hauling off a refrigerator. The landlord showed up and told them to leave the property. They returned with family and friend and surrounded him, cussing, using racial slurs and head butting him. He called 911 and subsequently drew his firearm. The deputies showed up, talked to the white mob and arrested the guy with the gun. Picture victim hauled of in handcuffs while the mob hooted, howled and laughed.

I learned this lesson personally but this guy got the last laugh. Police are prejudiced against guns in general. Society, if you listen to peoples reactions to things, view wielding a gun as a crime in and of itself. BTW, pretty clear there was a racial bias here as well. This guy is a property owner asserting his right to tell people to leave his land. I will give the Sheriff credit for listening and responding to facts rather than blindly backing his officers in their stupidity.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/black-pastor ... t-virginia

I stand corrected, the two people were trying to put a refrigerator into the dumpster at the apartment property of the pastor. Turns out the pastor is a 24 year veteran of the US Air Force.
God,

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

catfish86 wrote:https://www.whsv.com/content/news/5-cha ... 20461.html

A little more background. The pastor is the owner of an apartment complex and the "mob" started as a couple of scrappers hauling off a refrigerator. The landlord showed up and told them to leave the property. They returned with family and friend and surrounded him, cussing, using racial slurs and head butting him. He called 911 and subsequently drew his firearm. The deputies showed up, talked to the white mob and arrested the guy with the gun. Picture victim hauled of in handcuffs while the mob hooted, howled and laughed.

I learned this lesson personally but this guy got the last laugh. Police are prejudiced against guns in general. Society, if you listen to peoples reactions to things, view wielding a gun as a crime in and of itself. BTW, pretty clear there was a racial bias here as well. This guy is a property owner asserting his right to tell people to leave his land. I will give the Sheriff credit for listening and responding to facts rather than blindly backing his officers in their stupidity.
According to a retired LEO that I communicate with on various things, and who lives in that area and personally knows the Sheriff and some deputies, it is NOT a case of a deputy merely being prejudiced against a citizen with a gun defending himself, at least not a white citizen anyway.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Here's an update on this from the president of VCDL:

I spoke with Shenandoah Sheriff Timothy Carter today about the false arrest of Pastor McCray
Shenandoah County Sheriff Carter returned my call this morning and we had a friendly discussion on the situation where a pastor was initially arrested after brandishing a gun at five assailants who threatened his life while on his property. The assailants were not arrested at that time.

The sheriff has already apologized to Pastor McCray, after dropping the charges against the pastor and arresting the five assailants.

Sheriff Carter is going to have a meeting with his deputies where they will review the body cams from the incident. The Sheriff wants to analyze what went wrong and how the incident could have been handled better.

At this point, the ball is in the Commonwealth Attorney's court when it comes to removing the arrest record for Pastor McCray. Since the pastor did nothing wrong, VCDL hopes this happens expeditiously and completely.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I believe I saw a picture of the Sheriff and he is black. Not sure about the deputies. Is this a case of "arrest the guy with the gun" as a default?
God,

Gun control is racist.