Bar owner in Nebraska shoots rioter who attacked him

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Bar owner in Nebraska shoots rioter who attacked him

Post by M-Quigley »

From NBC:
OMAHA, NEBRASKA

James Scurlock, a 22-year-old black man, was killed Saturday after authorities said he tussled with the owner of two downtown bars. Surveillance video of the strip of bars shows a group of people, including Scurlock, approach white bar owner Jake Gardner.

Two people shove Gardner to the ground, and he fired shots in the air. Seconds later, Scurlock is seen jumping on Gardner, who then fires the gun over his shoulder, striking Scurlock.

Authorities have declined to press charges in the death, calling the shooting self-defense. But Gardner could still face misdemeanor gun charges because his concealed carry permit for the gun had expired, the police chief said.
I wonder if it was expired because he was unable to renew it because of the coronavirus?
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Bar owner in Nebraska shoots rioter who attacked him

Post by catfish86 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_ ... s_Scurlock

The shooter was a bar owner trying to clear rioters from his bar. They had already broken windows, this was not a peaceful demonstration.

The black community is backing Scurlock, demanding the bar owner be charged. There is clear video showing he was on the ground after being tackled by two people who fled when the bar owner fired two rounds in the air. That's when Scurlock pounced on his back and started choking him. The bar owner can be heard saying "get off me" several times before shooting over his shoulder.

The black community is ruining their argument if they believe racism is an excuse for blacks to break windows...if that was black man who owned the bar, would their opinion be different. I can say mine would not. So who is racist?
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

catfish86 wrote:So who is racist?
I've lived in white communities, black communities, suburbs, rural, and a very liberal college community. The only white racists I've found were liberals explaining why black people need white peoples' help. Many black people are racist against whites (and asians) - very openly.

Like many, at the beginning of this Floyd protest I had sympathy for the cause, specifically to reduce police corruption and violence (against all races). Now the symapthy gave way to disdain because "it's all about the black people!" and the looting/rioting/violence has soured the narrative.

The Bill of Rights sees no color.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Initially ruled self-defense but now the DA caved and it is going to a grand jury. Also a case of it not paying to protect your business. Guy is losing the business because the landlord is being threatened over the incident so landlord ended the lease.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/no-charge ... id-rioting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

This is scary. This goes to the foundation of the right to defend oneself. He was literally in the process of being attacked when he fire and at that point was being choked from behind.
God,

Gun control is racist.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

What's the plan after the bar owner is not charged?

Who in the local government is gonna cave, and, how?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Update:
The grand jury rejected Jake Gardner’s claims that he acted in self-defense in the death of James Scurlock, charging him with four felonies: manslaughter, attempted first-degree assault, making terroristic threats and weapon use. If convicted, Gardner, 38, could face up to 95 years in prison.
“I can tell you that there is evidence that undermines (claims of self-defense),” Franklin said. “And that evidence comes primarily from Jake Gardner himself.”
Without getting into specifics, Franklin pointed to texts from Gardner’s phone; messages from Gardner’s Facebook account; and Gardner’s interactions with bystanders “prior to even coming in contact with James Scurlock.” Also: surveillance video that showed Gardner and his father, David Gardner, inside Gardner’s business that night.
https://omaha.com/news/local/crime-and- ... 5c51b.html

And then this story about how protesters had geared up to go cause trouble if they didn't get the indictments they wanted.

https://omaha.com/news/local/crime-and- ... 663e1.html
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

https://omaha.com/news/local/crime-and- ... 2b5cb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a stunning development, Jake Gardner — the white bar owner indicted in the killing of a 22-year-old Black man during protests in downtown Omaha on May 30 — has been found dead near Portland, Oregon.

Gardner shot himself after authorities in Hillsboro, Oregon, received a call of a suicidal party, said two law enforcement sources who spoke on condition of anonymity. The death happened this weekend, though Hillsboro police would not confirm the death or the time it happened.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Ouch. My sympathies to the family. and a pox on the protesters who thought they could get "justice" by stampeding the court, police and others.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Based on simply what's been reported so far I think he had a good chance of winning, he of course he would've gone through hell and probably lost his business merely defending himself in court. :(
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

Such a very sad outcome for him, his family, and friends. The local prosecutor originally deemed it self defense. Then caved to charge him after the protests started. I won't comment on the hateful comments posted online from those taking great joy in his suicide. The kindest thing I can say is they are truly despicable people.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

"The indictment of Jake Gardner would never have happened without the community, the people, who stood up for justice and demanded action from city officials. Jake Gardner is gone, but the white supremacist attitudes that emboldened him are still with us today."

- Nebraska Senator Megan C.Hunt
(I did not misspell her name.)
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

That Nebraska senator is pathetic. At least she acknowledged the wrong of charging him but then throws in the Antifa propaganda by mentioning white supremacism. No evidence that he was but he "was emboldened". That means the rioters were justified because he was subhuman if you missed the translation.
God,

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

catfish86 wrote:That Nebraska senator is pathetic. At least she acknowledged the wrong of charging him but then throws in the Antifa propaganda by mentioning white supremacism. No evidence that he was but he "was emboldened". That means the rioters were justified because he was subhuman if you missed the translation.
Regarding the bolded, when or where did she say the indictment was wrong? I didn't see that.