Chicago - lack of CHL leads to charges in DGU

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Chicago - lack of CHL leads to charges in DGU

Post by Bruenor »

I guess she put the saying "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 " to the test. what are the requirements to get a CHL in Chicago these days..
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... l-dog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A teenage girl was shot in the chest on Friday night in Chicago after she tried to steal a woman's dog, authorities say.

When Diaz communicated that the price for the animal would be $800, the girl reportedly brandished a pellet gun, The Chicago Tribune reports.

She then allegedly ordered Diaz to the ground, hit her over the head with the pellet gun and tried to take the dog without paying for it.

That's when Diaz pulled out a handgun and reportedly shot the girl in the chest.
The Chicago Police Department says that while Diaz has a valid Firearm Owner's Identification card to posses a weapon, she did not have a concealed carry license.

Diaz was taken into police custody in the town of Cicero around 6.46pm and was charged with one felony count of unlawful use of a weapon.

She was not charged in the shooting because it is being considered self-defense.
the teenager was transported to Stroger Hospital to treat her gunshot wounds and was subsequently arrested on Saturday.

She has been charged with attempted armed robbery and will appear in juvenile court on December 9.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
AlanM

Re: Chicago - lack of CHL leads to charges in DGU

Post by AlanM »

In Ohio, that wouldn't have been a problem as long as she was at her own home or business, I think.
I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

This is definitely true in Virginia https://lawcenter.giffords.org/conceale ... -virginia/.
Note that both Ohio and Virginia get a D rating from that site. :lol:
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

AlanM wrote:In Ohio, that wouldn't have been a problem as long as she was at her own home or business, I think.
In Ohio if she had been in her residence she would have been fine, but not her place of business. Ohio requires you to have a CHL to carry concealed or in a motor vehicle anywhere outside of your residence.
AlanM wrote:I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.
It's OK Alan, it happens when you are as old as you are... ;)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bruenor wrote:I guess she put the saying "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 " to the test. what are the requirements to get a CHL in Chicago these days..
It's expensive, the training is longer than anywhere else, the state cops drag their feet processing the applications, and...no reciprocity with other states.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Brian D. wrote:It's expensive, the training is longer than anywhere else, the state cops drag their feet processing the applications, and...no reciprocity with other states.
While it's true that Illinois doesn't have reciprocity with any other state, an IL license is recognized in well over 20 states, including all those that surround it.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

djthomas wrote:
Brian D. wrote:It's expensive, the training is longer than anywhere else, the state cops drag their feet processing the applications, and...no reciprocity with other states.
While it's true that Illinois doesn't have reciprocity with any other state, an IL license is recognized in well over 20 states, including all those that surround it.
Well, that's true enough. Indiana recognizes even carry licenses from other countries, last I looked.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

That's the thing with these "regulations"...they can be used to go after you even if what you did was justified. It sucks when this happens to you.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:
Bruenor wrote:I guess she put the saying "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 " to the test. what are the requirements to get a CHL in Chicago these days..
It's expensive, the training is longer than anywhere else, the state cops drag their feet processing the applications, and...no reciprocity with other states.
As bad as it is, it could be worse. It could be "may issue", where only the wealthy or politically connected get a CHL.