Guilty - Manufacturing ammunition without a license

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Guilty - Manufacturing ammunition without a license

Post by Bruenor »

So what I'm getting from this is that if he were licensed for the manufacture of ammunition, he would not have been charged with anything.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... fense.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An ammunition dealer who acknowledged selling hundreds of incendiary tracer rounds to the gunman who killed nearly 60 people at a Las Vegas music festival two years ago pleaded guilty on Tuesday to manufacturing bullets without a license.

Douglas Haig, 57, of Mesa, Arizona, became the first and only person arrested and charged in connection with the October 1, 2017, massacre, which ended when the gunman, Stephen Paddock, killed himself.
The case against Haig stemmed from the federal investigation of the shooting. Authorities never accused Haig of conspiring in the attack.

Authorities said Haig´s fingerprints were found on un-fired bullets in the high-rise hotel suite from which Paddock spent more than 10 minutes firing more than 1,000 rounds into the open-air concert crowd before killing himself.

Ammunition in the room also bore tool marks consistent with Haig's reloading equipment, prosecutors said, and Haig´s address was on a box that police found
Haig pleaded guilty to a single count of engaging in the business of manufacturing ammunition without a license, a federal crime punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Sentencing is set for February 19, 2020.
Doesn't pay to reload for other people. On the other hand I've used reloading presses at my friends houses. One is setup with a dillon 1050 and Mark 7 automation system so dump in all the components and push the button and watch the magic happen, Who wouldn't make use of that? another friend has a 1050, Mark 7 setup for processing 556 brass into 300 Blackout. Depending on who's press is setup for a certain caliber we may swap back and forth for convenience. So tool marks from the press ....
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
John 447

Re: Guilty - Manufacturing ammunition without a license

Post by John 447 »

https://www.justice.gov/usao-nv/pr/ariz ... ut-license

…….from about July 2016 to about October 19, 2017, Haig operated an unlicensed ammunition manufacturing business known as Specialized Military Ammunition (SMA). SMA’s manufacturing was conducted in a workshop located in Haig’s Arizona residence. Haig maintained a website for SMA through which he advertised and sold ammunition that he manufactured. He promoted and sold ammunition he manufactured at gun shows in Arizona and other states............

This is a little more than reloading a few rounds for friends.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Not to mention issues with ITAR and FFL licensure.

Seriously, it's not doing anybody any good to reload for others, especially for money. Showing them how to do it is one thing, selling is another.

Also, the fastest way to ruin a friendship or get in legal problems is if a round you made is bad and the gun blows up.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

An Arizona man was sentenced Tuesday to 13 months in federal prison for selling home-loaded bullets to the gunman who unleashed the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, killing 58 people in the Las Vegas Strip in October 2017.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/arizo ... s-shooter/

My dad used to buy wadcutters from a friend. I had no clue that you are supposed to have a license to sell what you make.
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

Pretty expensive lesson for not having a $30 Type 6 FFL good for three years: https://rocketffl.com/ffl-cost/
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

[quote=My dad used to buy wadcutters from a friend. I had no clue that you are supposed to have a license to sell what you make.[/quote]

I think it all has to do with selling manufactured ammunition without the license, and the collection of the excise tax.
Uncle hates it when he does not get his cut.