Under the heading of "Guns Save Lives"

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Under the heading of "Guns Save Lives"

Post by AlanM »

I JUST ran across a link to this site.

I provides a LARGE amount of ammunition to fire at people that say that civilians don't stop or prevent mass shootings.

List of Mass Shootings Stopped by Armed Civilians
The “Catch 22”

When dealing with a claim of stopping a mass shooting, there’s a “Catch 22” problem. If someone shoots a potential mass shooter before they begin, technically a mass shooting never took place and one can’t definitively claim it was prevented. On the other hand, if a mass shooting is underway and then stopped by an armed civilian, technically the mass shooting wasn’t prevented either, as it already happened. This “Catch 22” makes it technically impossible to stop a mass shooting. Thus, this meme could be considered correct under this twisted logic, but would be grossly and maliciously misleading and not what any fair person would consider to be true.

Another factor is to consider what is meant by “armed civilian”. One could argue that an off-duty police officer or military personnel carrying a weapon isn’t a civilian, but this seems disingenuous.
Here's another link to even more, more recent, incidents:
https://crimeresearch.org/2019/05/uber- ... -shooting/
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
M-Quigley

Re: Under the heading of "Guns Save Lives"

Post by M-Quigley »

When it comes to politics, half to 3/4ths of the memes out there have either severly misleading or outright false statements in them, including alleged quotes by people. It's not just the left wing that puts out false memes either, I've seen just as many lies from a right wing perspective as well. I guess people think that if they put it in a meme people will believe it, and some idiots do. :(

After the El Paso shooting a couple of the Democratic candidates for president, one of them Julian Castro if I recall correctly, said that the fact that no law abiding gun carriers stopped the mass shooter proves allowing people to carry guns doesn't work. :roll: What the reporter never corrected him on is that there were no citizen gun carriers there at the time. Just because it's legal doesn't mean people have to do it. Having legal carry was never meant to be a substitute for armed security or allowing employees to carry for a business, and the only legal obligation the carrier has is to themselves. If they happen to be at a mass shooting and want to intervene, it's legal, but it's not required. Legal carry is so the carrier can have the tools if they so choose to defend themselves and maybe their family, not society at large. Heck, many law enforcement agencies don't require their officers to carry off duty either, which is why the one woman who was an LEO left her gun at home, because she "was only going to Walmart." Those two politicians did not say that since no off duty cops stopped the shooter therefore cops shouldn't be allowed to carry when off duty.

If it's on the internet it must be true. George Washington
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Under the heading of "Guns Save Lives"

Post by WY_Not »

Exactly. My carry is to protect myself and my family. If the rest of society wishes they are free to take responsibility for their own actions and their own safety.
M-Quigley wrote:Just because it's legal doesn't mean people have to do it. Having legal carry was never meant to be a substitute for armed security or allowing employees to carry for a business, and the only legal obligation the carrier has is to themselves. If they happen to be at a mass shooting and want to intervene, it's legal, but it's not required. Legal carry is so the carrier can have the tools if they so choose to defend themselves and maybe their family, not society at large.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.