Goodbye WalMart

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

welshj

Wal mart becoming dicks?

Post by welshj »

https://www.wtol.com/mobile/article/new ... b091dd9b61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently walmart is now no longer selling handgun ammo, and banning open carry in stores?
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Goodbye WalMart

Post by bignflnut »

It’s clear to us that the status quo is unacceptable,” Walmart Chief Executive Officer Doug McMillon said in a statement, this morning, after announcing that the massive retailer will cease selling some types of ammunition and ask customers to not openly carry firearms in its aisles in the wake of two deadly shootings in its stores.

SNIP

As Bloomberg reports, the company will discontinue sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition such as .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber once it has sold through its current inventory commitments, it said in a statement to employees Tuesday.

It will also stop offering handgun ammunition after it has sold through existing inventory.
The actions will reduce the chain's total U.S. market share of ammunition from 20%, to between 6% and 9%, McMillon wrote.

WalMart was the problem, who knew?
We're all much safer now, huh?
Brush your hands off and declare the problem solved!

Say hello to Sears when you see them at the "Washed up mega retailers of years gone by" reunion.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Re: Wal mart becoming dicks?

Post by Brian D. »

I love your thread title, the double meaning is hilarious. If Moderator Tunnel Rat was still here on Earth, he'd have wanted very badly to edit that. And to any other Mod with such thoughts, welshj's thread came in before the similar one started by bignflnut, so don't get any idea about closing THIS one. :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Re: Goodbye WalMart

Post by Brian D. »

I'm imagining that gun show vendors will be buying out the supplies asap, and jacking up the price for this weekend's shows. I'll find out for sure in Sharonville this Saturday.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Fox News headline also makes it appear that short-barrel rifle ammo was also eliminated. Had to scratch my head a few times to figure that one out.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/walmart-to-s ... nationwide
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Hey!
Yeah. Better title.
Combine em.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

popcorn sales R up... 8)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote: Say hello to Sears when you see them at the "Washed up mega retailers of years gone by" reunion.
IMHO it won't matter to the majority of people who go to Walmart. The only thing that might put Walmart out of business is if some 24 hour retail competitor starts selling mostly Chinese made stuff even cheaper than Walmart. :roll:
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

All about looking good to the Libs IMO! Hope the % they loose on sales of ammo is added to the bigger % they loose from our members and other urinated off Americans buying clothes, tires, trashcans, oil changes etc when we go to other sources.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I decided many years ago that my time is worth far more than the dollar a box I might save going to WM to buy ammo (limit two per customer), assuming they have what I want in stock (rarely) and I don't mind spending 23 minutes waiting for somebody with the keys to come back from break or whatever.

Instead I spend a couple hundred bucks a year and buy exactly what I want online. With shipping it's still less than what I'd waste trying to acquire same piecemeal at retail.

As to open carry, meh, it's never interested me outside of a range or training situation. Even at police conferences I don't really dig the whole name embroidered polo shirt with badge and gun on belt thing. Look for the guy with the backwards baseball hat and untucked, non-police shirt and you probably found me. Or if I have to dress up a bit, wearing a sportscoat with a plain turtleneck. You still won't see a badge and gun flopping around. If you do, it has suddenly become a real bad day on the railroad.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

W-M isn’t so high brow like Dick’s. Heck, WM is in Arkansas, while Dick’s is in Pittsburgh. But, W-M HQ is much more sophisticated. They have the real pulse of their customers. Dick’s is run by family members of the founder, never a
strong management approach.

We are losing the fight here. Nothing to do with W-M, they are the lagging indicator. The canary in the coal mine. But they know what their customers want. And it doesn’t look good for the 2A if the average WM customer is starting to get afraid of guns.

Heck, NASCAR just banned AR and AK ads too.

This is a sign that we are losing the fight. There has been no effective response to the recent mass shootings. The NRA is in shambles (thanks WLP!), GOA and the others are too small. And Bloomberg marches on. To victory in this case.

Because a large number of 2A folks have been lulled to sleep with Trump. Who is not and has never has been a 2A supporter. The GOP? Really? So, folks will run to the “new position”, which always defaults to more government restrictions and more controls.

And we let it happen.

Prediction: The pendulum is starting to swing the other direction
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

My crystal ball told me long ago that this would happen. Wal Mart has a totally different business format than a specialty store like Dick's does. This move won't hurt their bottom line at all. And in some communities it's the only store for miles since they ran the mom and pop store out of business long ago. I have never bought any firearms or ammo from them since I like my local gun shop. And the anti-gunners will now hail another "victory" for their cause.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I have to drive past TWO Targets to get to Walmart.

My 9x19mm carry ammunition came from Walmart. I'm pretty sure I can get 9x19mm 147gr. JHPs at the Berea show... not to mention Fin, Feather and Fur.

Practice ammunition? I've got a Dillon 550 AND and RCBS single stage. I've cleaned out my reloading/server room so I can get to the presses again.

There's very little that Walmart has that I can't get on Amazon and have delivered to Whole Foods, which is a good ten miles closer.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
fireman

Post by fireman »

If Walley World still has something I'm looking for that's affordable, I'll continue to shop there. While I wholeheartedly don't agree with choice to drop certain ammo loadings...I can understand the open carry thing. People don't wanna see it. I suspect it's the fringe element that thinks it prudent to carry "ugly scary long guns" just because they can.

So I'll continue to shop for specific stuff, with my concealed sidearm and not lose a bit of sleep over it.

Just my opinion.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

I think people that would boycott any other company for the same actions may be hesitant to do so with big ole WallMart. Avoiding Dicks is fairly easy, no hardship. This is different. It will be harder on me and my family to boycott WallMart. It will take me more time per week to shop. It will coast me a bit more. To me its a no brainer. I am done with Walmart. I hope many more will do the same.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.