Woman sues Krogers because they don't have a no guns policy

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Woman sues Krogers because they don't have a no guns policy

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kroger-gun ... rs-murder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watson and her mother, Charlotte Stallard, filed a civil lawsuit against Kroger last week asking the chain to ban guns in its stores. "Who would have known that Kroger would allow people to just walk in, carry their guns on their waistband and just pull them out?" she said.

Currently, Kroger does not have a policy prohibiting customers from bringing firearms into their stores. The company released a statement on its website stating that their longstanding policy on the issue is to follow state and local gun laws and to ask customers to be respectful of others while shopping.

"You don't need a gun to buy groceries," said Ron Johnson, the Stallard family's attorney. "…You can't carry a gun into your school, you can't carry a gun into the courthouse… And what we're simply saying is grocery stores need to do the same thing."

The alleged gunman, Gregory Alan Bush, was indicted by a federal grand jury for hate crimes. This October, a judge will determine if Bush is mentally competent to stand trial.

Speaking about her father, Watson said, "To think that this man, as loving and caring as he was, to have been taken from us in the way that he was taken, because of someone else's hate… it's unbelievable at times."

The lawsuit details more than two dozen gun-related incidents resulting in eight deaths inside and outside of Kroger stores nationwide.

"The duty of a store in Kentucky is to provide a safe place to shop. That is the law," Johnson said. "So retailers like Target and Starbucks have said, 'Having guns in our stores is not consistent with having a safe place to shop,' so they don't allow guns."

"Can a judge force an entity like Kroger to change its policy?" asked "CBS This Morning" national correspondent Jericka Duncan.

"All a judge or a jury can do is give damages to those who are harmed when Kroger doesn't meet its duty," Johnson said.

Watson said she hopes her lawsuit will help make public spaces safer and keep other families from suffering similar losses. "It is traumatic. It is violent. It is dramatic. It is painful…" she said. "We have to do something to try to prevent these things from happening again to others."
I've never been in a Starbucks, but the last time I was in a Target store (admittedly a long time ago) there was no "no guns" signs at the door.

I'm not familiar with Kentucky law, but are they similar to Ohio, in that you can't sue a business if they choose to have a "no guns for the law abiding" sign or not have one? And I don't recall the shooter having a CHL anyway. Murder is already against the law.

If Kentucky doesn't have a law and Krogers can technically be sued, why can't someone sue a business that has a "no guns for the law abiding" sign if a mass shooting occurs there? As far as the comment that guns in stores is not consistent with having a safe place to shop, the documented facts are exactly the opposite. Most mass shootings occur in so called gun free zones. Plus, there is documented evidence from some mass shooters or attempted mass shooters that they chose their targets precis ally because the location was a "soft target". A "no guns for the law abiding sign" could be said to create the conditions or environment for a mass shooter to succeed and therefore makes people potentially less safe.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Woman sues Krogers because they don't have a no guns pol

Post by schmieg »

I don't know whether Kentucky has an immunity law for businesses that post or don't post, but the no firearms signs do not have the force of law there unless the premises is included in the statutory no guns list. I suspect this case will be disposed of by summary judgment unless the plaintiff can show some duty Kroger had to her and which was violated.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Yep, you don’t need a gun for self defense when you go for groceries. Except in an El Paso Wal Mart recently. Or a number of convenience stores. Or the next one.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

The whole point of this exercise is that the lawyer saw some dollar signs from a large corporation and was eager to have a client sue them. A business is not responsible for a criminal act by a outside party on their property.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

"The duty of a store in Kentucky is to provide a safe place to shop. That is the law," Johnson said. "So retailers like Target and Starbucks have said, 'Having guns in our stores is not consistent with having a safe place to shop,' so they don't allow guns."
Does anyone know where this is in Kentucky state statutes?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
docachna

Post by docachna »

qmti wrote:The whole point of this exercise is that the lawyer saw some dollar signs from a large corporation and was eager to have a client sue them. A business is not responsible for a criminal act by a outside party on their property.
A business can be responsible under certain circumstances if there was a history of similar events and they did nothing to protect their customers. However, under normal circumstances , it’s shop at your own risk.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Someone found a possible solution for Krogers and told me about it, so I'm passing it on. :) It would be just as effective as a no guns sign.

Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

M-Quigley wrote:Someone found a possible solution for Krogers and told me about it, so I'm passing it on. :) It would be just as effective as a no guns sign.

Finally - a real solution!
This exemplifies the reality of signage.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Some more along the same line:

More here: https://www.google.com/search?q=No+crime+zone+sign and click images
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

The courts consistently find that the police have "no duty to protect" an individual, but this woman thinks that Kroger does ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Last time I checked, the 'No Guns" signs in Kentucky do not have the force of law.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Suckerspawn wrote:Last time I checked, the 'No Guns" signs in Kentucky do not have the force of law.
As I understand Kentucky law (IANAL), if you bring a gun into a posted location (extremely rare in my experience), you have to be asked to leave, and refuse to do so. Then the cops get called and they ask you to leave. Only if you refuse the request from the cop, can you be arrested.

Ken