Dayton Ohio Mass Shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Re: Dayton Ohio Mass Shooting

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote:
Update: Trump said that he had instructed the DoJ to propose legislation to ensure those who commit hate crimes could face the death penalty, while also proposing 'red flag' laws to ensure that those deemed a risk to public safety don't have access to firearms.
While the death penalty might stop repeat offenders, it won't stop the first time offenders, like these two guys. We don't yet have a future crimes dept. like in the Tom Cruise movie Minority Report. What we do have (and has been proven to work almost every time it's tried) is armed defenders of some kind at the scene of a mass shooting. Not 60 seconds away or 6 minutes away or an hour away, but right there. The most efficient and cost effective way to do this is with civilian carry.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

bignflnut wrote:
He said “We must seek real, bipartisan solutions…we must do a better job of acting on early warning signs.”

He then said that we must . . .

Work with social media companies to detect mass shooters before they strike.
Stop the glorification of violence, including gruesome video games. Cultural change is hard, he said.
We must reform our mental health laws to better identify mentally disturbed individuals to give people treatment and, when necessary, involuntary confinement.
Enact red flag laws with due process.
Use the death penalty for those convicted of mass murder.
Trump just lost my vote.

Red Flag laws are a terrible idea. It is nothing short of back door gun confiscation without due process. Shameful.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Ghost wrote:
bignflnut wrote:
He said “We must seek real, bipartisan solutions…we must do a better job of acting on early warning signs.”

Stop the glorification of violence, including gruesome video games. Cultural change is hard, he said.
We must reform our mental health laws to better identify mentally disturbed individuals to give people treatment and, when necessary, involuntary confinement.
Trump just lost my vote.

Red Flag laws are a terrible idea. It is nothing short of back door gun confiscation without due process. Shameful.
So, you have better prospect to vote for?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Ghost wrote:
bignflnut wrote:

Trump just lost my vote.

Last election my granddaughter sent me a email asking me to vote for Hillary. I responded that I didn't particularity like Trump, but Hillary was a worse choice to vote for. So I voted for Trump. Next election cycle I will be voting for Trump again because a Democrat in office would be a worse choice.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Ghost wrote: Red Flag laws are a terrible idea. It is nothing short of back door gun confiscation without due process. Shameful.
Trump isn't the only one saying we have to give the antis something.
Given the present realities, the best bet is to put up a version of a “red flag” law that has due process protections (including penalties for maliciously false reports and requirements for the guns to be stored securely) and treatment for those who are suffering from acute mental health crises.
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/find-s ... z5vfGsCzsL

I'm definitely not a fan of this. I don't think it buys us anything if crazies keep scaring non-gun-owning voters. Unfortunately, if crazies do keep shooting up places, red flag laws could be the least of our problems.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Do I have a better prospect on who to vote for?

First let me start by saying this type of thinking is why we keep getting crappy politicians who promise one thing and then do another. No accountability.

To answer your question, I probably will just stay home on election night but honestly a Democrat president might be better.

How many gun control laws did Obama get through? Zero.

Trump already has signed fix nics and he’s banned bump stocks. Now, he’s talking about taking people’s guns away without due process. For gun owners that should be three strikes and he’s out.

At least with a Democrat president, Republican gun owners would be opposing these gun laws. Instead since it’s coming from a “Republican” president, gun owners seam to think more gun control is just fine.

I guess everyone forgot he’s been a New York Democrat for basically his whole life.

If he gets elected again we will see him sign even more gun control.

A vote for Trump is a vote for more gun control and I can’t in good conscience vote for that.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I know one proposal to counter back-ground checks:

1) It is already illegal to sell to a prohibited person. Prosecute more of these.

2) If someone sells to a prohibited person they face penalties as an accomplice to the crime committed with the gun they sold. This would allow for sales to relatives but give pause to selling to an unknown person.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Ghost wrote:Do I have a better prospect on who to vote for?

First let me start by saying this type of thinking is why we keep getting crappy politicians who promise one thing and then do another. No accountability.

To answer your question, I probably will just stay home on election night but honestly a Democrat president might be better.

Trump already has signed fix nics and he’s banned bump stocks. Now, he’s talking about taking people’s guns away without due process. For gun owners that should be three strikes and he’s out.

At least with a Democrat president, Republican gun owners would be opposing these gun laws. Instead since it’s coming from a “Republican” president, gun owners seam to think more gun control is just fine.

I guess everyone forgot he’s been a New York Democrat for basically his whole life.

If he gets elected again we will see him sign even more gun control.

A vote for Trump is a vote for more gun control and I can’t in good conscience vote for that.
Yes, please stay home.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Cruiser wrote:So, you have better prospect to vote for?
How about a candidate that won't denigrate RKBA. Would that work for you?

Are ERPOs the idea that soldiers fought and died for? Background checks? Bumpstock bans? THIS -lesser of two evils, we simply cannot win, constant capitulation to the culture, -concept is the cancer that proRKBA groups dare not speak of, and it's killing our hard won, historical Rights.
The Republicans’ leader in the House, Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, took to Fox News this weekend to tell the world he believes that the shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, are a direct result of the influence of violent video games in our society.
#Leadership

I forgot, Trump's playing 6-D underwater intergalactic chess and if he can "bipartisan" the Dems hard enough, they'll give us constitutional carry. Just give him more time to work his magic. Muh Bad, bro.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Ghost wrote: To answer your question, I probably will just stay home on election night but honestly a Democrat president might be better.

How many gun control laws did Clinton get through? Hint: Answer is not zero.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

kcclark wrote:
Do you realize that Reagan signed the FOPA86 machine gun ban?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
High Power

Post by High Power »

bignflnut wrote:
kcclark wrote:
Do you realize that Reagan signed the FOPA86 machine gun ban?
And that's also because the NRA was willing to compromise on the machine gun ban, just like they gave Trump the green light for the bump stock ban.

I will not give the NRA anymore of my money and encourage others to do likewise. Our dollars are better spent on other pro-gun organizations.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

bignflnut wrote:
Cruiser wrote:So, you have better prospect to vote for?
How about a candidate that won't denigrate RKBA. Would that work for you?

Are ERPOs the idea that soldiers fought and died for? Background checks? Bumpstock bans? THIS -lesser of two evils, we simply cannot win, constant capitulation to the culture, -concept is the cancer that proRKBA groups dare not speak of, and it's killing our hard won, historical Rights.
The Republicans’ leader in the House, Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, took to Fox News this weekend to tell the world he believes that the shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, are a direct result of the influence of violent video games in our society.
#Leadership

I forgot, Trump's playing 6-D underwater intergalactic chess and if he can "bipartisan" the Dems hard enough, they'll give us constitutional carry. Just give him more time to work his magic. Muh Bad, bro.
Exactly.

It’s the same thing with Mike DeWine. I didn’t want to vote for him either but I did because he was the “lesser of two evils” and supposedly better than a Democrat.

Well now I wish I wouldn’t have. He just came out in favor of red flag laws AND universal background checks for all of Ohio.

So congratulations, that is exactly what this type of thinking produces. At least it came from a Republican, right?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 1930220001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/dayton- ... qHNRGXyoL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When he was holding a so called "assault weapon" then there was NO negative comments by the left or anti gunners, like there is sometimes is when a pro gun rally is held and the participants are peacefully assembling and not doing anything illegal with their open carry firearms.
rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

M-Quigley wrote:https://www.whio.com/news/local/dayton- ... qHNRGXyoL/

When he was holding a so called "assault weapon" then there was NO negative comments by the left or anti gunners, like there is sometimes is when a pro gun rally is held and the participants are peacefully assembling and not doing anything illegal with their open carry firearms.
Well of course not. Dayton was too busy shutting down the center of the city for the unthinkable violence of... single digit white supremacists members. Couldn't be bothered to pay attention to a real threat. Because, you know, Trump.