Dayton Ohio Mass Shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Re: Dayton Ohio Mass Shooting

Post by deanimator »

steves 50de wrote:
BEAR! wrote:I just saw on the news conference that senator sherrod brown and congressman Mike Turner both said the murderer used a magazine that's illegal in Ohio.

What were they talking about?
He used an AR 15 with drum mag, not sure why they say the mag is illegal. :?
Because they're ignorant buffoons?
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

rattlehead wrote:If Nan Whaley said the sky was blue, I'd walk outside and look up.
She also quoted the source that counts ANY shooting as a "mass shooting" even if it includes criminal aka gang activity.

Dayton is therefore the 240th shooting this year.
revred

Post by revred »

The picture they showed this afternoon on the PBS live stream of the press conference was an AR-15 pistol built on an Anderson lower. They also had pictures of the Beta Mags.
What I found interesting was that one of the victims was Connor Betts sister.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free, because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything that I do." Professor Bernardo de La Paz in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

steves 50de wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
steves 50de wrote:BEAR! Wrote: "I just saw on the news conference that senator sherrod brown and congressman Mike Turner both said the murderer used a magazine that's illegal in Ohio.

What were they talking about?"
He used an AR 15 with drum mag, not sure why they say the mag is illegal. :?
Most likely because they don't realize the law changed a few years back.
Right we can't expect them to know the law's they pass. :roll:
To be fair, they didn't pass that law, they are a US Senator and a US Representative, not members of the Ohio General Assembly. As Washington insiders, I'm surprised they know anything about Ohio law...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
don-in-ytown
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by don-in-ytown »

Trump has promised a response on Monday, what will it be?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

revred wrote:What I found interesting was that one of the victims was Connor Betts sister.
My understanding is she was the first victim and her boyfriend was the second. After that, he just went on a rampage and didn't care who he shot. After all, once you commit two, why not become media famous and commit as many as you can?
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Tesser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Tesser »

Connor Betts: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/connor-betts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liberty is the soul's right to breathe, and when it cannot take a long breath, laws are girdled too tight.

HENRY WARD BEECHER, Proverbs from Plymouth Pulpit
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I just heard Hugh Hewitt claim that "red flag laws won't be abused".

Kind of how the FISA courts haven't been abused...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

don-in-ytown wrote:Trump has promised a response on Monday, what will it be?
If it's consistent with some of his comments in the last 24 hrs., according to the MSM he's talking about strengthening the background checks, which sometimes is a code word for universal background checks. Trump allegedly indicated they could possibly paired with border wall spending. :roll: I hope that's not what it ends up being. Tying the two issues together IMO is a terrible idea, will only play into the hands of his critics, as they'll say he's holding lives hostage in order to get the border wall built. Of course universal background checks would not have done anything to prevent either of these or most other shootings, as almost every mass shooter passed a background check or could've passed a background check had one been done. The problem is, as the scientist Neil Degrass Tyson discovered recently, facts don't matter, feelings do.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

don-in-ytown wrote:Trump has promised a response on Monday, what will it be?
Well...this didn't happen in a gun free zone (aside from the liquor restriction)...so it won't be that.
It won't be a lecture on the depravity of the human heart or how we've medicated everyone into oblivion. Probably won't be mentioning this guy's belief system (who is being radicalized, again?). Forgiveness, Grace and social cohesion will not cross his lips.

Trump will likely attempt to show how the State can save us from the horrors of a free people with RKBA. Remember that he's the RKBA Champion, and that he's not Hillary.

2020 will be a referendum on RKBA.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

My personal opinion, for what it's worth:

Universal background check WILL NOT DO ANYTHING BUT PUNISH THE LAW ABIDING.

What MIGHT actually work is to get the FIX NICS bill passed with teeth in it to get reporting agencies to enter information on individuals under disability in a timely manner and to actually arrest and prosecute the people that lie on 4473s.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

That was a doozy.

Internet radicalization/domestic radical terrorism Pre-Crime unit activated (State will "stop mass murders before they start")
Video games (hat tip to Pro Life Culture)
Mental Health Laws (involuntary confinement)
Restrict RKBA to wackos / Red Flag Laws/ ERPOs BY NAME with rapid "due process"
Death Penalty after that rapid "due process"

Cheering Fix NICS and TrumpStock Ban (those worked!)
Wrapped it all in Love!

(...and Dayton is Toledo.)

Apparently it's loving for our Champion to take our Rights.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

He said “We must seek real, bipartisan solutions…we must do a better job of acting on early warning signs.”

He then said that we must . . .

Work with social media companies to detect mass shooters before they strike.
Stop the glorification of violence, including gruesome video games. Cultural change is hard, he said.
We must reform our mental health laws to better identify mentally disturbed individuals to give people treatment and, when necessary, involuntary confinement.
Enact red flag laws with due process.
Use the death penalty for those convicted of mass murder.

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Rep. Dan Crenshaw, the Texas Republican who’s developed a large following on the right since he was elected in 2018, floated a trial balloon about “red flag” firearms laws on Twitter Sunday evening.

The solutions aren’t obvious, even if we pretend they are. But we must try. Let’s start with the TAPS Act. Maybe also implement state “red flag” laws, or gun violence restraining orders. Stop them before they can hurt someone.https://t.co/2G2pZSWaF1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

— Rep. Dan Crenshaw (@RepDanCrenshaw) August 4, 2019

The TAPS Act that Crenshaw refers to is H.R. 838, the Threat Asssesment, Prevention, and Safety Act sponsored by his fellow Texas Republican Brian Babin. According to the sponsor, the legislation is designed to identify threats to the community.

• Will standardize and provide a behavioral threat assessment and management process across the Federal government

• Will provide States the training, resources, and support needed to stand up community-based, multidisciplinary behavioral threat assessment and management units

• Recognizes that behavioral threat assessment and management processes must become part of the culture and fabric of contemporary law enforcement

• Urges that this is a matter of national security – if we act now and work together, we can save lives
No, the State cannot save lives. In fact, it is the State that has rendered us vulnerable to these attacks. "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other" - John Adams How fully has the State destroyed our societal morality and intellect?

This is the realm of the family government and the church government. THESE realms of authority, often attacked and pilloried by civil government, are where lives and souls are saved.

An all powerful civil authority is a threat to our Liberty and our physical health. Plain and simple.

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Update: Trump said that he had instructed the DoJ to propose legislation to ensure those who commit hate crimes could face the death penalty, while also proposing 'red flag' laws to ensure that those deemed a risk to public safety don't have access to firearms.

The president also blamed video games for 'radicalizing' shooters, sand condemned 'white supremacy'

*TRUMP BLAMES INTERNET FOR RADICALIZING MINDS
*TRUMP SENDS CONDOLENCES TO MEXICO DUE TO MEXICAN LIVES LOST
*TRUMP SAYS HE SPOKE WITH TEXAS, OHIO GOVERNORS
*TRUMP: EL PASO SHOOTER'S ONLINE MANIFESTO WAS 'CONSUMED WITH RACIST HATE'
*TRUMP CONDEMNS 'RACISM, BIGOTRY AND WHITE SUPREMACY
*TRUMP: INTERNET HAS PROVIDED 'DANGEROUS AVENUE' TO 'RADICALIZED, DISTURBED MINDS'
*TRUMP VOWS TO ACT WITH URGENT RESOLVE
*TRUMP SAYS HE'S 'SICKENED' BY SHOOTINGS
*TRUMP CALLS DAYTON SHOOTER 'TWISTED MONSTER'
*TRUMP: 'PERILS' OF SOCIAL MEDIA 'WILL NOT BE IGNORED'
*TRUMP SAYS MUST CONDEMN WHITE SUPREMACY 'IN ONE VOICE'
*TRUMP CALLS FOR RED FLAG LAWS
*TRUMP SAYS THOSE DEEMED 'GRAVE RISK TO PUBLIC SAFETY' SHOULD NOT HAVE ACCESS TO FIREARMS
*TRUMP CALLS FOR REFORM OF MENTAL HEALTH LAWS TO 'BETTER IDENTIFY MENTALLY DISTURBED INDIVIDUALS'