Dayton police confiscate toy guns painted black no charges

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Dayton police confiscate toy guns painted black no charges

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/breaking-news ... zokOJWk6M/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DAYTON — A suspicious circumstance call on Thursday led to officers confiscating toy guns and weapons painted black to appear real.

Officers on scene spoke with a man who said he found multiple toy guns and a weapon spray painted black at a residence in the 50 block of East Fairview Avenue.

The toy guns and weapons include a Nerf rifle, toy Beretta M9 style pistol, toy grenade and toy suppressor.
No charges have been filed and the items were tagged and confiscated.
A lot of information missing from this news story at this time.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Dayton police confiscate toy guns painted black no charg

Post by bignflnut »

#FreeAndBrave

Has anyone seen the wonders of cerekote these days? Do a non-google search for images of cerekote rifles or pistols.

Here's one example from Ruger.
The zombie green to OSU themed anything...the sky is the limit. All of it looks like a toy...

How are the State-ists going to handle this newly available technology? Hint: not by deferring to Liberty.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Another example
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Or the PCC my neighbor had done, complete with tassels on the grip.

https://www.facebook.com/ViktorsLegacy/ ... =3&theater

Kind of humerus seeing a 6'4" guy blazing around the USPSA course with this thing
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

So...setting aside whether or not it is a good idea to paint a real gun to look like a toy, or have a toy gun that looks real, my question is this: am I to understand that law enforcement is now empowered to confiscate private property on the basis that they don't like it? I'm aware of no law prohibiting the possession of a "toy" gun that looks real.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I know that the police in the Dayton area will shoot someone with a toy gun on sight. The guy is probably lucky to be alive.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

catfish86 wrote:I know that the police in the Dayton area will shoot someone with a toy gun on sight. The guy is probably lucky to be alive.
If someone threatens me with and points what appears to be a real gun at me, I'm going to assume it's a real gun until and unless I find out differently. I'm not going to wait until the bullets start flying out of the barrel toward me to detirmine whether or not it's real, and I don't expect the police to do that either. OTOH, I don't support the police shooting people who are merely carrying openly either, toy guns or not.

In this case, according to the article, the guy was the one who called to report the find. The article only says at a residence, doesn't say inside or outside and why the person who reported it would've been in a position to even see it, unless the person lived at the residence. It also does not say that the man was holding the toy guns at the time, so there was no legit reason for the cops to assume the toy guns represented a immediate threat to them just laying there. If the person who called lived there and the stuff was found outside, perhaps it was being staged there by someone for use at a later time?
Officers on scene spoke with a man who said he found multiple toy guns and a weapon spray painted black at a residence in the 50 block of East Fairview Avenue.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

I decided to go for maximum effect and went with four colors of dye, all available at your local craft store. The brand I used was Rit. I used Sunshine Orange, Dark Brown, Pearl Grey, and Dark Green. I knew that I would get different results when dying different polymers, so I went with parts from SIG SAUER and Magpul for some consistency.

Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Call & raise.....

Quoted from first post in the thread @ xdtalk:
"So I coated this masterpiece for a company. It was a joke of the joke of the tacticool AR's with stuff bolted all over them. The customer asked me to make them a rifle that was an 11, not a 10 but beyond that. So what do you all think? On my Instagram/FB @therealxdman the responses are great. There is so much hatred for my creation it is amazing. one guy said he looked at it and it gave him cancer. Someone else compared to to an Arizona tea can. Anyway this thing is so amazing that it will definitely follow me to the Shot Show next year for a display. This thing literally has everything. Oh by the way it actually works and functions.

https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/the-most ... ca.444689/
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.