Walmart to stop selling firearms in New Mexico

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Walmart to stop selling firearms in New Mexico

Post by Bruenor »

New Mexicos Universal background check law will cause issues for them. I can understand their position on this, as their gun counter is usually in the back of the store.

https://www.koat.com/article/walmart-wi ... o/28266243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tiffany Wilson, director of communications for Walmart, said the new law would require Walmart associates to handle and potentially store handguns and modern sporting rifles, which are types of firearms that Walmart does not sell and associates are not trained to handle or render safe.

“Unlike a specialty sporting goods retailer where customers expect to see firearms of various types being handled, Walmart customers do not generally expect to see individuals walking through the store potentially carrying multiple firearms, which can lead to confusion and potentially putting both our customers and associates at risk,” Wilson said.

Wilson also said that Walmart is not currently equipped or designed to conduct background checks for private-party transfers under New Mexico's new firearms law.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Re: Walmart to stop selling firearms in New Mexico

Post by Brian D. »

Walmart appears to have taken an easy way out. The margin on firearms isn't worth the extra hassle and work to them.

Trouble is, the arrival of Walmart to a town sometimes leads to the local mom 'n' pop gun store throwing in the towel.

I guess if you live in New Mexico you get used to driving long distances frequently.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Walmart to stop selling firearms in New Mexico

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:Walmart appears to have taken an easy way out. The margin on firearms isn't worth the extra hassle and work to them.

Trouble is, the arrival of Walmart to a town sometimes leads to the local mom 'n' pop gun store throwing in the towel.

I guess if you live in New Mexico you get used to driving long distances frequently.
I saw a fair number of gun shops last year when I was out there and a fair number of signs saying that guns were welcome. The tricky part out there is figuring out when you're on an Indian reservation.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand