Another cop fired for cowardice-Las Vegas

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Another cop fired for cowardice-Las Vegas

Post by catfish86 »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/las-vegas-po ... department

Body cam footage showing them waiting in the hallway while reports come in of civilians helpless being shot. 5 guys with pistols waiting in the hallway. It was three armed hotel security guards, a trainee and a police officer. The officer was fired because he was in charge and instructed them to stay back as the gunman unleashed fully automatic fire on a helpless crowd.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Another cop fired for cowardice-Las Vegas

Post by Mr. Glock »

There is a lot to be said for the kinder, gentler working world we live in now. But, back in the tougher days, this sort of negligence would have suffered from corrective efforts by that LEOs co-workers well before any disciplinary action was necessary. Maybe this is a sign (along with S Peterson) that we may be getting a little too soft?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

You mean....{gulp // clear throat} ...there was other things contributing to the terror...besides a plastjk stock (?)

Seems a LOT of these shootings have...hidden details that seem to not come out immediately. Well, that is, not until AFTER a 2A ''restriction to fix it all'' happens...

:idea:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
High Power

Post by High Power »

For some unknown reason, officers were ordered to turn their body cameras OFF.

Watch the video in this article and be sure to turn the volume on. There is video imagery from four different body cameras (and audio) showing that an off-site and on-site supervisor telling the officers to turn their cameras off. Why?

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/sho ... -shooting/

They should also fire both supervisors for giving the orders to turn the cameras off.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

catfish86 wrote:Body cam footage showing them waiting in the hallway while reports come in of civilians helpless being shot. 5 guys with pistols waiting in the hallway. It was three armed hotel security guards, a trainee and a police officer. The officer was fired because he was in charge and instructed them to stay back as the gunman unleashed fully automatic fire on a helpless crowd.
Running towards the sound of gunfire can be terrifying. Not everyone can do it. I don't fault the guy for being terrified.

But...it would seem he lacks the intestinal fortitude necessary to be a police officer. So, while I don't fault him, I also don't have much sympathy for him.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Mr. Glock wrote:There is a lot to be said for the kinder, gentler working world we live in now. But, back in the tougher days, this sort of negligence would have suffered from corrective efforts by that LEOs co-workers well before any disciplinary action was necessary. Maybe this is a sign (along with S Peterson) that we may be getting a little too soft?
Yeah, I can see an officer quietly fold his tent and slink off into the night rather than face the ridicule of his peers. That said, considering the extent to which officers actions are scrutinized today, for good or bad, we may be seeing the results of paralysis by analysis.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

sodbuster95 wrote:
catfish86 wrote:Body cam footage showing them waiting in the hallway while reports come in of civilians helpless being shot. 5 guys with pistols waiting in the hallway. It was three armed hotel security guards, a trainee and a police officer. The officer was fired because he was in charge and instructed them to stay back as the gunman unleashed fully automatic fire on a helpless crowd.
Running towards the sound of gunfire can be terrifying. Not everyone can do it. I don't fault the guy for being terrified.

But...it would seem he lacks the intestinal fortitude necessary to be a police officer. So, while I don't fault him, I also don't have much sympathy for him.
Hmmm..we give you a gun. We give you legal arrest powers. We pay your salary and training. We allow you to roam around and pull people over for traffic violations (that are usually meaningless). All in the hope that you will be a sheepdog when it counts. Maybe you (i.e. that LEO) should have thought of the other side of that bargain before you took the job.

It's pretty simple. You are a cop. There is an active shooter. You go get them. That is the deal.

I'm not saying that is easy. I'm saying we gave you all this, so you'd do that hard thing when it mattered.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Our "mission statement" in the fire service was similar, in theory anyway. There were certain scenarios in which you knew that you and your crew might not all come back from. But when there were citizen's lives at risk, you charged right in. A school fire. A hazardous materials incident. The partial collapse of an occupied building.

One well regarded instructor summed it up best: "Risk a little to save a little. (Such as property.) Risk a lot to save a lot. (Lives.)"
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Mr. Glock wrote:Hmmm..we give you a gun. We give you legal arrest powers. We pay your salary and training. We allow you to roam around and pull people over for traffic violations (that are usually meaningless). All in the hope that you will be a sheepdog when it counts. Maybe you (i.e. that LEO) should have thought of the other side of that bargain before you took the job.

It's pretty simple. You are a cop. There is an active shooter. You go get them. That is the deal.

I'm not saying that is easy. I'm saying we gave you all this, so you'd do that hard thing when it mattered.
I believe the saying goes, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
High Power

Post by High Power »

In the military we could be tried and punished for cowardice in the face of the enemy. LEOs just get to retire. Perhaps that should change.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

High Power wrote:In the military we could be tried and punished for cowardice in the face of the enemy. LEOs just get to retire. Perhaps that should change.
Valid point - Art 99, UCMJ. That's what Bergdahl was convicted of (though, under a different subsection).

And the punishment includes the possibility of a dishonorable discharge, reduction to the lowest enlisted grade, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, death, or confinement for life without possibility of parole.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.