Lessons in legal consequences

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Lessons in legal consequences

Post by catfish86 »

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/06/28 ... -back-pay/

This gentleman was sucker punched by a drunk in a parking lot and shot the guy. Eventually ruled a valid defensive gun use but after a lot of consequences. This is why I have insurance to cover legal costs.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Bruenor

Re: Lessons in legal consequences

Post by Bruenor »

Agreed some sort of coverage is a good idea.

I opted for a legal network (ACLDN) that is not an insurance plan so I can get immediate assistance hopefully avoiding being charged in the first place. A lot of people refer to all the plans as Self Defense Insurance, but they are not all insurance, nor do they all offer the same benefits.

Insurance cannot pay if an illegal act was committed, so you may get no bail, or financial assistance for your legal costs until you are found innocent.

Prepaid Legal (US Law Shield / CCW Safe)
Combination legal fund backed by insurance(Second Call Defense)
Group Legal Fund (ACLDN)
USCCA
NRA Carry Guard
and more...

Seems to be lots of players in the market each offering something a little different.
Curious what people are using and what the deciding factor was for the one they chose.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

Only got a year back pay?
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I use CCW Safe. I have an ap on my phone. One phone call and they get the lawyer and cover the bail. No searching for a gun friendly attorney...that feeling you get when in the middle of a situation your attorney makes a comment that you would have been better off not carrying a gun because they are nothing but trouble...
God,

Gun control is racist.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

catfish86 wrote:I use CCW Safe. I have an ap on my phone. One phone call and they get the lawyer and cover the bail. No searching for a gun friendly attorney...that feeling you get when in the middle of a situation your attorney makes a comment that you would have been better off not carrying a gun because they are nothing but trouble...
About how much for a year of coverage. :?:
Black Rifles Matter
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

steves 50de wrote:
catfish86 wrote:I use CCW Safe. I have an ap on my phone. One phone call and they get the lawyer and cover the bail. No searching for a gun friendly attorney...that feeling you get when in the middle of a situation your attorney makes a comment that you would have been better off not carrying a gun because they are nothing but trouble...
About how much for a year of coverage. :?:
I have US Law Shield and billed $131 annually. I believe it's a basic level coverage.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

CCW Safe is $129 per year. It covers legal fees, bond and they even provide the lawyer. They brag about a case in the Carolinas I believe where a guy was jacked up for murder by police who rather that try to find the truth tried to build their case.
God,

Gun control is racist.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Just read that concealed carry insurance is under attack.
In Washington State, the Office of Insurance Commissioner has sent cease and desist letters to the NRA for their Carry Guard insurance. The WA OIC has sent similar letters to the United States Concealed Carry Association, the Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network, U.S. Law Shield, Firearms Legal Protection, and CCW Safe, demanding that all quit doing business in WA. The same thing is happening in New York, and likely other states not yet on my radar.
https://www.ammoland.com/2020/04/attack ... z6IuDLFJqg
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Interesting considering some of those are NOT insurance, but rather legal funds. US Law Shield is prepaid legal fund, ACLDN is similar.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

That is why it is important to be informed and involved. To be the "evil gun rights" people who show up at meetings and show up to vote.
God,

Gun control is racist.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

More and more reasons to defend your home, bury the body, and move on with life. And yes, I'm well aware of the legal implications, but as we slowly become criminals by default, what's the difference?

If you're living in the sticks, anyway.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin