Oberlin slapped for $11 mil for playing race card for robber

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Oberlin slapped for $11 mil for playing race card for ro

Post by steves 50de »

Cost of college in Oberlin might be going up. :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

steves 50de wrote:Cost of college in Oberlin might be going up. :lol:
You mean Donald Trump University?
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Of course there will be appeals and they will try to tie up this thing in knots and run the bakery into the ground...but then again they would do that anyway. Seems like they have a jury that saw enough was enough.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Plaintiffs need to start attaching Oberlin's physical assets in satisfaction of the judgments. Sheriff's auction!
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

So, How much can one get for a tenured professor from such an institution??
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

techmike wrote:So, How much can one get for a tenured professor from such an institution??
That would be one instance where a cheap Chinese counterfeit would be of superior quality to the genuine item.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

The President of Oberlin College, Carmen Twillie Ambar, just sent this blast email (h/t commenter rhhardin):

Dear Members of the Oberlin Community,

By now many of you will have heard about the latest development in the Gibson’s Bakery lawsuit, a jury’s declaration of punitive damages against Oberlin. Let me be absolutely clear: This is not the final outcome. This is, in fact, just one step along the way of what may turn out to be a lengthy and complex legal process. I want to assure you that none of this will sway us from our core values. It will not distract, deter, or materially harm our educational mission, for today’s students or for generations to come.

We will take the time we need to thoughtfully consider the course that is in Oberlin’s best interests. I will update the community as we make these decisions. I am confident that when we resolve this matter, it will look substantially different than it looks today.

We are disappointed in the jury’s decisions and the fragmentary and sometimes distorted public discussion of this case. But we respect the integrity of the jury, and we value our relationship with the town and region that are our home. We will learn from this lawsuit as we build a stronger relationship with our neighbors.

This has been a remarkable year for the college and conservatory. There is unprecedented unity around an ambitious new vision for Oberlin. The work of fulfilling that vision is already underway. Long after this lawsuit has receded from memory, that work will shape Oberlin’s future. I appreciate the contributions so many of you have made, your perspective at this important time, and the commitment you have shown to what matters most for Oberlin.

Sincerely,

Carmen Twillie Ambar
President
This stands in contrast to the conciliatory tone taken by Oberlin College in arguing no punitive damages were needed:

“You have spoken,” said Oberlin College attorney Rachelle Kuznicki Zidar to the jury. “You have sent a profound message. We have heard you, and believe me, colleges across the country have heard you,” She also looked at the Gibson family and said, “The college doesn’t hate you.”
FYI,
Total endowed funds as of June 30, 2018 were $887.4 million, as compared to $820.3 million the previous year, an increase of $67.1 million. In comparison, total endowed funds increased by $66.8 million in the fiscal year ended June 30, 2017, from $753.5 million at June 30, 2016.

Like most private liberal arts schools, the endowment is the financial cornerstone of the College. Nearly all of Oberlin’s 1,700 endowed funds are invested within the General Investment Pool. The College’s General Investment Pool was $887.0 million at June 30, 2018, versus $819.9 million at June 30, 2017, a $67.1 million increase. The change in the total value from year to year is the result of changes in the market values of our pooled investments and the many donor- and board-designated gifts received from generous alumni and friends during the fiscal year, offset by the distribution of cumulative investment earnings.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

I guess the liberal educators still don't get it and are in denial. Not surprising. You libel some one and you pay the price.
docachna

Post by docachna »

No one has addressed this question - can Plaintiffs even reach the endowments ? Personally , I have no clue.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

deanimator wrote:Plaintiffs need to start attaching Oberlin's physical assets in satisfaction of the judgments. Sheriff's auction!
This would simply be purchased by some benefactor and re-deeded to the college instantly. Likely at a discount!

The verdict is only 1/2 of their endowment market value increase for an annual period.
It is hardly a punitive verdict.
This is not to be critical of the jury. They did great.
This is only to say that these Colleges can afford to lose 100 of these cases before it really makes a mark.
Oberlin will not be dissuaded from continuing in their #Resistance. They may even double down.

Hopefully this will wake up potential commercial interests, potential students, etc.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

bignflnut wrote:
deanimator wrote:Plaintiffs need to start attaching Oberlin's physical assets in satisfaction of the judgments. Sheriff's auction!
This would simply be purchased by some benefactor and re-deeded to the college instantly. Likely at a discount!

The verdict is only 1/2 of their endowment market value increase for an annual period.
It is hardly a punitive verdict.
This is not to be critical of the jury. They did great.
This is only to say that these Colleges can afford to lose 100 of these cases before it really makes a mark.
Oberlin will not be dissuaded from continuing in their #Resistance. They may even double down.

Hopefully this will wake up potential commercial interests, potential students, etc.
Evergreen State: Get Woke, Go Broke.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Gillete
Budwiser
and other companies are of the mind "Get Woke OR Go Broke!"

deanimator

Post by deanimator »

bignflnut wrote:Gillete
Budwiser
and other companies are of the mind "Get Woke OR Go Broke!"
It doesn't seem to be working out for them. Ask DICK's.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

It seems the American Bar Association (an organization I steadfastly refuse to support with either my time or my money) is disappointed with this ruling.

Oberlin College ordered to pay $44.4 million damages in libel case brought by small business
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

sodbuster95 wrote:It seems the American Bar Association (an organization I steadfastly refuse to support with either my time or my money) is disappointed with this ruling.

Oberlin College ordered to pay $44.4 million damages in libel case brought by small business
A $44 million judgment is a hell of a learning aid.