Oberlin slapped for $11 mil for playing race card for robber

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Oberlin slapped for $11 mil for playing race card for ro

Post by schmieg »

sodbuster95 wrote:It seems the American Bar Association (an organization I steadfastly refuse to support with either my time or my money) is disappointed with this ruling.

Oberlin College ordered to pay $44.4 million damages in libel case brought by small business
And that surprises you?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

schmieg wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:It seems the American Bar Association (an organization I steadfastly refuse to support with either my time or my money) is disappointed with this ruling.

Oberlin College ordered to pay $44.4 million damages in libel case brought by small business
And that surprises you?
Lol. Not even a little bit, no.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote:

And that surprises you?
Not being an attorney I'm a little confused. Shouldn't an organization composed of attorneys support big awards and attorneys making money?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
schmieg wrote:

And that surprises you?
Not being an attorney I'm a little confused. Shouldn't an organization composed of attorneys support big awards and attorneys making money?
Only if the awards favor liberal causes or are neutral. I'm being a bit facetious there. The ABA isn't quite that bad, but it can only walk in one direction going around a hill because it does lean pretty far to the left.,
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Here's hoping the bakery gets its..dough. Sorry, still giddy about how this has gone so far. :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

M-Quigley wrote:
schmieg wrote:

And that surprises you?
The ABA is about as representative of the legal profession as CNN is of the news.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Even some liberals don't like what Oberlin college did.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/b ... ice-to-pay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Social justice warriors ... are finally finding that maybe there's a price to pay."
— Bill Maher
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I read the article. As a paralegal (and one who has met a lot of the plaintiff's lawyers involved in this suit, it was two Stark County firms) I think the ABA article was pretty vanilla reporting. They gave voice to both sides but did point out the basis of the ruling:
In a 2003 case, Cooke v. United Dairy Farmers, an Ohio appeals court ruled that “As a general rule, all persons who cause or participate in the publication of libelous or slanderous matter are responsible for such publication. Hence, one who requests, procures, or aids or abets, another to publish defamatory matter is liable as well as the publisher.” This case was cited by the judge in rulings on various motions, and he noted “aiding and abetting” in jury instructions.
While they had this quote of some guy from New York:
Floyd Abrams, a New York City lawyer specializing in First Amendment issues, said the verdict represented “a double-barreled threat to free speech on campus.”

“The notion that uninhibited student speech can lead to vast financial liability for the universities at which it occurs threatens both the viability of educational institutions and ultimately the free speech of their students,” he told the New York Times.
They followed it up with this quote which pretty much sums up the true message of the ruling followed with its own summation:
]William Jacobson, a law professor at Cornell University, put it this way: “This historic ruling confirms that no institution, no matter how powerful, may baselessly smear individuals or businesses in pursuit of their of their political or social agenda, and even a college as influential as Oberlin may be held accountable for its actions in a court of law.”Emphasis added.

But, in many ways, this case wasn’t about freedom of speech and constitutional law as much as many had thought. Lorain County Common Pleas Judge John. R. Miraldi kept the focus of the trial limited in evidence before the jury. The issue was not about the student protests at Gibson’s Bakery in November of 2016, but how the school supported the protesters in various ways that cut the business’s earnings from about $900,000 in 2016 to a projected $433,000 this year.
At the end of the day, the university egged on these students in spreading a falsehood they knew or should have known was false...in other words, you can't yell fire in a crowded theatre when there is no fire and expect no consequences.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

catfish86 wrote:At the end of the day, the university egged on these students in spreading a falsehood they knew or should have known was false...in other words, you can't yell fire in a crowded theatre when there is no fire and expect no consequences.
They didn't just egg them on. Oberlin and its employees were active participants, both allowing college resources to be used to create the libelous material and physically distributing it.

Raimondo in particular was even more directly involved in the defamation, slander and libel than was Tom Metzger in the murder of Mulugeta Seraw. Metzger only verbally encouraged an attack. Raimondo was observed distributing the libelous material. Like Metzger, she should lose everything.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Damages were knocked down to $25,000,000.

Still doesn't look like their insurance will pay up, and as far as I know, Raimondo's on the hook for her share.

Maybe she should be scoping out cheaper accommodations. I've seen some fairly nice bridges over 480, 80, and 90...
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

deanimator wrote:Still doesn't look like their insurance will pay up, and as far as I know, Raimondo's on the hook for her share.
Press accounts have repeatedly said that terms of Raimondo's contract ensure the college will fully indemnify her. Since it's a private collage I'm not quite sure how they've gotten access to her contract to verify this though, unless it was part of the mountain of trial evidence.

I would like to think that causing such an indemnity clause to be invoked would also be an immediate resume builder but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that instead of getting walking papers for her role in this fiasco she gets a raise.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

djthomas wrote:[I would like to think that causing such an indemnity clause to be invoked would also be an immediate resume builder but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that instead of getting walking papers for her role in this fiasco she gets a raise.
You'd have to wonder what kind of morons would give somebody blanket indemnification for tortious acts that cost them money.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

These are the genius elite...you little people should know better than to question them.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

catfish86 wrote:These are the genius elite...you little people should know better than to question them.
I question them every chance I get.

It gets me censored all the time on cleveland.com... until I start publicly questioning their motives.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

From the looks of this article on Legal Insurrection, it appears the Oberlin may not be able to pay (or are making choices that would make it difficult to pay) the judgement against them.
Oberlin College ordered to post $36 million bond to delay Gibson’s Bakery collection of Judgment
Judge granted Oberlin College’s motion to stay execution of the judgment, but required the posting of a bond in the amount of the judgment plus three years interest as security.