Virginia Municipal Building shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Virginia Municipal Building shooting

Post by bignflnut »

To address AlanM's reluctant agreement:
Thank you AlanM for your analysis.
I don't take pleasure in saying these things. I don't take pleasure in our current state. The point I'm trying to make is that a person needs to understand that they have a disease/problem before they are motivated to seek the proper cure. For years on this board there have been people/leaders decrying my analysis (not saying this to AlanM directly, I don't recall he and I ever having an issue) as tinfoil or dismissing it as trolling, this or that negativity, Ad homenim attacks, questioning my patriotism because I haven't ever donned the State uniform, etc.

It's time to wake up to reality. It should be odious to all of us. We should guard our liberties much more jealously than we do, as Tweed Ring graciously allowed me to quote, prior to his passing. Yet and still, how many will make the case in the next POTUS election cycle that there are no choices other than the clownish R we're handed? With WWF HOF Trump in there now, how much lower can we stoop? (OF course I asked this after Bush, Romney, McCain, and we got the Bankruptcy Master)

Back to the story at hand...
Once again, after a senseless act of violence, gun ownership opponents — including those in the news media — rush to penalize millions of lawful firearms owners for something they didn’t do.

The mayhem in Virginia Beach was the act of a man who legally purchased the two pistols recovered by authorities at the scene.

SNIP

No law on the books now, or that has been proposed, would have prevented the Virginia Beach tragedy. Reports say the killer had no criminal record other than traffic violations. He had a college degree and was a veteran of the Virginia National Guard. He passed multiple background checks.

But the predictable knee-jerk reflex of the gun prohibition crowd is to seek tighter restrictions on millions of people who harmed nobody, just to advance their agenda of public disarmament. That’s not justice, it’s social bigotry by people who would never tolerate a similar broad brush policy were it aimed at the rights of any other group.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Every year the Virginia Civilian Defense League holds a "Lobby Day" on MLK Day.

[quote= From a Post on vagunforum.net]
For those whom may not know -- there are buses travelling on Hwy 81 to Richmond on MLK Day for the annual Lobby Day to fight for gun rights. Check the https://www.VCDL.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; site for information -- always Jan of new year.
[/quote]

I expect with the pot stirring our governor is doing something like that will happen if there is a special session and next January will see a large increase in riders.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
High Power

Post by High Power »

During the heady days of rallies of the 20th century, the democrats use to have their marches in Richmond. Photo taken in 1925.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Not taking credit for this, it's FPC's
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

VIRGINIA BEACH

Kate Nixon had considered taking a gun to work on May 31, the day a co-worker killed her and 11 others in the country's deadliest mass shooting this year, a family attorney said on a radio show Monday.

The public utilities engineer was concerned about DeWayne Craddock "as well as one other person," said Kevin Martingayle, an attorney working with Nixon's family. So on the night of May 30, Nixon had discussed with her husband, Jason, "whether or not she should take a pistol and hide it in her handbag," Martingayle said. She decided against it because of a city policy that prevents employees from bringing weapons to work.

The next day, Craddock, who had worked as a city public utilities engineer for nine years, used a .45-caliber handgun with a legally purchased silencer to fire at colleagues in Building 2 of the city's Municipal Center in Princess Anne.

On Monday, Martingayle revealed the detail about Nixon's worries on WHRV's "HearSay with Cathy Lewis" radio show.

"The night before it happened they had that discussion," he said on the show. "There was obviously something big going on."
(*cough*)

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

These gun-prohibitions didn’t keep us safe in Virginia Beach. Why would new laws work any better?
-The murderer passed a required background check. The background checks, which looks backwards, failed to predict future behavior. Background checks never find new criminals.

-Local preemption means that cities can write their own gun laws that are more restrictive than state law. Virginia Beach did that and it failed to stop this murderer. In fact, it enabled the attack.

-Virginia Beach declared its municipal building as a “gun-free” zone. The city did not post armed guards after they disarmed their employees. We know that murderers prefer “gun-free” zones for their attacks because these zones disarm the intended victims. We also know Virginia Beach city employees wanted to go armed at work for their own safety.

-Concealed carry licensing didn’t disarm the murderer. All the criminal histories and fingerprint requirements failed to identify this murderer or stop him, but these gun-prohibitions might have disarmed his victims.

-We already regulate noise suppressors on firearms, but that didn’t disarm the murderer. Both the victims and the responding officers heard the gunshots.

-There was an extraordinarily rapid police response, but electronic key-card access on the municipal building kept police outside while people died inside. Security doors keep out both the bad guys and the good guys.

-The elevated stairway/entrance prevented a terrorist from crashing a vehicle into the main hallway of the municipal building. The stairway also kept first responders from breaking down the doors.

-As expected, no more innocent victims were shot once the murderer faced armed opposition. A good guy with a gun stopped the bad guy with a gun. Does that surprise anyone?

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Just received an email from VCDL regarding the latest Virginia Beach City Council meeting which, I think, was on 6/17/19.

Here's a link to the text.

https://mailchi.mp/9e30a4a6a43d/va-aler ... c4a30f8503
Tonight almost 40 people spoke on a proposed resolution in Virginia Beach that would have been a step towards destroying Virginia's firearms preemption law. The majority of those who spoke, spoke against the resolution, including several City employees that were in Building 2 during the massacre. Besides rank-and-file members, VCDL Board member Gary Moeller was there, as were EMs Brendon Mooney and Doug Petersen.

I must say that the speakers on our side were excellent and I was proud of them. We all hit on different angles, but still had a common theme: gun-free-zones are dangerous. Cool heads and logic prevailed.

In the end, City Council voted 10 to 2 to table the resolution until some future date. They, correctly, wanted more time to pass and they wanted the City to meet with its employees about what the employees wanted done.

The main thing is the resolution is dead for the upcoming General Assembly session on July 9. We'll keep an eye on things if that resolution is ever brought back.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
High Power

Post by High Power »

AlanM wrote:Just received an email from VCDL regarding the latest Virginia Beach City Council meeting which, I think, was on 6/17/19.

Here's a link to the text.

https://mailchi.mp/9e30a4a6a43d/va-aler ... c4a30f8503
Tonight almost 40 people spoke on a proposed resolution in Virginia Beach that would have been a step towards destroying Virginia's firearms preemption law. The majority of those who spoke, spoke against the resolution, including several City employees that were in Building 2 during the massacre. Besides rank-and-file members, VCDL Board member Gary Moeller was there, as were EMs Brendon Mooney and Doug Petersen.

I must say that the speakers on our side were excellent and I was proud of them. We all hit on different angles, but still had a common theme: gun-free-zones are dangerous. Cool heads and logic prevailed.

In the end, City Council voted 10 to 2 to table the resolution until some future date. They, correctly, wanted more time to pass and they wanted the City to meet with its employees about what the employees wanted done.

The main thing is the resolution is dead for the upcoming General Assembly session on July 9. We'll keep an eye on things if that resolution is ever brought back.
Let's pray that the city council does away with the CPZ and lets city employees carry on government property!
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

The next student at the microphone asked how those measures would help, arguing it doesn’t appear they would have prevented the shooting in Virginia Beach.

“The assailant used a silencer, a suppressor. Why do you think he did that?” Northam countered from the stage.

The student, standing away from the microphone, said quietly, “So nobody could hear him.”

“So do you think that we need silencers on the street?” Northam continued. “Do you think that if he hadn’t had a silencer, perhaps not as many people would have been killed because people in the building would have been able to hear the firearm discharge?”

Northam conceded that his proposals wouldn’t have necessarily prevented the Virginia Beach shooting. But he said the legislation his administration has backed would have helped.

“The bigger picture is it wasn’t just about Virginia Beach,” Northam added. “We have had one tragedy after another. I hear people say now is not the right time. I say when is the right time? And maybe it’s too late. Maybe we should have talked about this before.”

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote:
The next student at the microphone asked how those measures would help, arguing it doesn’t appear they would have prevented the shooting in Virginia Beach.

“The assailant used a silencer, a suppressor. Why do you think he did that?” Northam countered from the stage.

The student, standing away from the microphone, said quietly, “So nobody could hear him.”

“So do you think that we need silencers on the street?” Northam continued. “Do you think that if he hadn’t had a silencer, perhaps not as many people would have been killed because people in the building would have been able to hear the firearm discharge?”

Northam conceded that his proposals wouldn’t have necessarily prevented the Virginia Beach shooting. But he said the legislation his administration has backed would have helped.

“The bigger picture is it wasn’t just about Virginia Beach,” Northam added. “We have had one tragedy after another. I hear people say now is not the right time. I say when is the right time? And maybe it’s too late. Maybe we should have talked about this before.”
So he's worried about reducing the number of deaths? Allow the employees to carry and not be defensive sitting ducks. This measure has been proven statistically to reduce the number of dead and injured.
High Power

Post by High Power »

M-Quigley wrote:
bignflnut wrote:

So he's worried about reducing the number of deaths? Allow the employees to carry and not be defensive sitting ducks. This measure has been proven statistically to reduce the number of dead and injured.
Don’t confuse a leftist, racist communist with the facts.