Effects on LE after school shootings understudied

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Effects on LE after school shootings understudied

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/national/scho ... HkQO1WI5L/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An article talking about PTSD after witnessing a school shooting with massive numbers of casualties. :(
deanimator

Re: Effects on LE after school shootings understudied

Post by deanimator »

I'm sure that Scott Peterson, formerly of the Broward County Sheriff's Department is treating HIS "PTSD" with beer from the comfort of his bass boat. All at taxpayer expense of course.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

They're not concerned about us teachers following school shootings, are they? :roll:
"The more severe the violence, the more innocent the victim and the more the officers feel that they were helpless to respond
What do you think we would feel like? I'm to protect my students, your children, and I'm given a bucket with a hammer and golf balls. :evil:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Javelin Man wrote:They're not concerned about us teachers following school shootings, are they? :roll:
"The more severe the violence, the more innocent the victim and the more the officers feel that they were helpless to respond
What do you think we would feel like? I'm to protect my students, your children, and I'm given a bucket with a hammer and golf balls. :evil:
Hmm.. a bucket of hammers and I'd still feel inadequate.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

PTSD is a very real thing. It entails actual physical damage to the brain that can be identified on PET scans. Researchers have even reached the point that they can to a certain extent determine timing (ie how old the person was when the event occurred) and what type of event (violence, injury/accident, sexual, etc.) It is also well established that in severe cases it can literally cause your body to tear itself apart in a variety of ways. Think of it like a power surge's effects on a computer, blowing or burning out certain circuits. You computer may lose its sound card or certain graphics. The USB port may no longer work.

It is also something that they have a lot of knowledge in how to treat although it can be as much art as science.

You can make fun of this but it is no fun to go through. Flashbacks can be horrifying. You may feel the pain, smell smells, hear sounds, taste, feel see things as if it is happening in real time. Learning to shut down flashbacks and reenter reality is a long and difficult process. The melt downs of these guys careers is typical and not a sign of weakness. A doctor once explained it to me this way, "It is a physical injury as real as a broken bone. If you broke your leg would you go home and set it yourself?"
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Of course PTSD is a real thing. Sadly though, there are people who lie about having it, and work themselves a tax free 100% disability pension after convincing a small group of doctors to sign off on the diagnosis.

I know this happens, and at some point after the checks start coming, nobody follows up.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Brian D. wrote:Of course PTSD is a real thing. Sadly though, there are people who lie about having it
<cough> Daniel Harless <cough>
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Land of the Free
and the
Home of the Brave**

**unless they've been traumatized, then that can be their "identity" ( get a dog or a turkey, and be exempt from life)
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798