Swatting charges for Ohio teen

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Swatting charges for Ohio teen

Post by Bruenor »

Bout time they start rounding these people up.
https://fox8.com/2019/04/03/ohio-teen-f ... e-country/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 17-year-old, who is accused of making “swatting” calls, was charged with 40 felony and 33 misdemeanor delinquency charges in Mahoning County, Ohio.
Last week, a California man who made a hoax call that led to a fatal police shooting in Kansas was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison after pleading guilty. Authorities said he made 911 calls from Los Angeles by acquiring a Wichita, Kansas, number through a cell phone app.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... untry.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Swatting charges for Ohio teen

Post by bignflnut »

So, does this further justify or give a greater investigative duty to SWAT teams who enter and shoot without verifying the pretense of their presence?

The mere legal recognition that these calls are fraudulent should bear some weight, right?
Last edited by bignflnut on Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Would some please explain to me why we have to go to a site outside the US to learn of this stuff?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

AlanM wrote:Would some please explain to me why we have to go to a site outside the US to learn of this stuff?
It always amazes me when the local news reports a story, with minimal details. then I look at some site in the UK and it has more details, and 10 times as many photos of the scene in the US. I don't understand it either.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Bruenor wrote:
AlanM wrote:Would some please explain to me why we have to go to a site outside the US to learn of this stuff?
It always amazes me when the local news reports a story, with minimal details. then I look at some site in the UK and it has more details, and 10 times as many photos of the scene in the US. I don't understand it either.
In totally unrelated news, a BUNCH of reporters at the Plain Dealer are going to be learning to code...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

deanimator wrote:
Bruenor wrote:
In totally unrelated news, a BUNCH of reporters at the Plain Dealer are going to be learning to code...
PD may it wither away. :twisted:
Black Rifles Matter
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Ohio teen got a sentence he didn't expect.

https://www.whio.com/news/ohio-gamer-se ... 28sHMn4SN/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WICHITA, Kan. — An Ohio gamer upset about a $1.50 bet while playing Call of Duty: WWII online was sentenced Friday to 15 months in prison for recruiting a prankster to make a bogus emergency call that resulted in the fatal shooting of a Kansas man by police.

Casey Viner, 19, of North College Hill, Ohio, also is restricted from gaming activity for two years while he is on supervised release after serving his prison term, U.S. District Judge Eric Melgren said in announcing the sentence.

Viner repeatedly gulped and appeared crestfallen as the judge announced his sentencing decision. He glanced into the courtroom gallery where his parents were seated. His tearful mother got up and left the courtroom. His father, an Ohio law enforcement officer, put his head into his hands.

Viner pleaded guilty in April to felony charges of conspiracy and obstruction of justice in the hope that he would not be sentenced to prison. Viner admitted trying to hide his involvement in the 2017 incident when he realized the antic had gotten someone killed.

In a brief courtroom statement, Viner told the judge he is "awfully sorry" for what happened: "I never intended for anything to happen. I think of it every day."

Prosecutors and defense lawyers in their plea agreement had recommended a sentence of two years on probation, with the added condition that Viner be confined for six months to his home unless attending school, work or church. They also jointly recommended the gaming restriction.

But Melgren said a prison sentence was required to reflect the seriousness of the offense and give the public a sense the criminal justice system is working. It was foreseeable that something bad could happen by calling an armed police force to respond to what police believed was an escalating situation of violence, he said.

"We impose sentences not only for what people intend, but what happened," Melgren said.

The death of 28-year-old Andrew Finch in Wichita, Kansas, drew national attention to "swatting," a form of retaliation in which someone reports a false emergency to get authorities, particularly a SWAT team, to descend on an address.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Although the local courts have done a number on a guy who threatened the local Jewish Community Center and other such targets, there's been nothing in the local media (that I noticed - remember that our local paper is gone; eaten by the Warren OH paper) about anything else.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I still don't get how this is materially different from what that guy in Dayton did at the Walmart that got John Crawford killed.

It is about time they got this stopped.

I also still question why LEOs are not held more accountable for their actions. Shooting an unarmed and innocent man to death is not excusable. Anybody hearing a noise in their front yard in the middle of the night could die like this.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.