Dayton cops allegedly watched dog mauling victim from car

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Dayton cops allegedly watched dog mauling victim from car

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/national/offi ... =cb_widget" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regardless of how true the allegations are or possible justification of aspects of them, the unexpected fatal dog mauling attack itself is a sad but unfortunite reminder to carry something, even if it's light and small and convenient, even if you're just going to work, emptying the trash, or any number of normal situations where you are outside.
Brown died of blood loss from multiple bites to his arms and legs, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.

After watching a cruiser camera video of the incident, Dayton police Sgt. Michael Pauley, the responding officers’ supervisor, said he was “horrified.”

“I didn’t go to sleep the next day after watching it,” said Pauley during an interview with internal affairs detectives. “I couldn’t believe what I had watched.”

Pauley said he worried about the potential harm the police cruiser video from the incident would do to the department because he felt there was no way to explain why the officers did not try to help Brown for nine minutes.
At 5 a.m. on April 25, 2017, Officers Pendley and Hartings located Brown lying on the ground in a pool of blood.

Pendley turned on his cruiser’s lights and blasted the air horn to get the pit bull to leave Brown, who Pendley later said made a slight move and may have still been alive, according to internal affairs documents.

At 5:01 a.m., the officers discussed shooting the dog and called a sergeant, saying they needed a medic and that they didn’t know their exact location.

At 5:02 a.m., Pendley, while standing next to the cruiser, called to Brown next to the cruiser and said, “Sir, sir, sir.”

At 5:03 a.m., Hartings requested a medic.

At 5:09 a.m., Pendley physically checked Brown’s condition, according to records contained in the internal affairs investigation that found “neglect of duty” but resulted in only a training memorandum.

A medic arrived at 5:15 a.m., found Brown in “cardiac arrest” and left at 5:22 a.m., documents indicate. At 5:55 a.m., Hartings shot and killed the 67-pound dog.
Regarding the bolded, I'm not sure what it's referring to. my training officer expected me to know what road I was on, what direction, and what road we had just passed or approaching at any given moment he asked on day one, and we didn't have GPS either. Even if it's an alley, at least you ought to be able to say what road the alley connects to.
Audio and video recordings from a police cruiser at the scene captured Pendley saying he thought he saw Brown move when they first arrived and the dog let go of his body.

Hill, in her internal review, said she believed Brown was unlikely to have survived if Pendley and Hartings had tried to provide medical care.
Hill is a supervisor not a medical expert. While her opinion might be correct (IDK) if it had been me I'd have at least tried to provide first aid and keep him alive until the squad arrived to take over.
machinegunkelly

Re: Dayton cops allegedly watched dog mauling victim from ca

Post by machinegunkelly »

Remember that the United States Supreme Court has said the police have no legal requirement to help or save you.
MGK
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

machinegunkelly wrote:Remember that the United States Supreme Court has said the police have no legal requirement to help or save you.
This right here.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

You know what else struck me as very off/wrong? The report that a lone "medic" responded to the scene. EMS, whether on their own or attached to a fire department, don't send out a crew of one.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

ArmedAviator wrote:
machinegunkelly wrote:Remember that the United States Supreme Court has said the police have no legal requirement to help or save you.
This right here.
I once told my Obama voting relatives in Chicago that. From the looks on their faces, From the looks on their faces, I might just as well have told them that I saw Amelia Earhart and Big Foot riding the Loch Ness monster up the Chicago River.

What makes that especially ironic is that my grandmother survived the 1919 Chicago race riot only because her brothers, who'd just come back from France, along with other returned Black doughboys raided the National Guard armory and armed themselves. The Chicago Police Department had previously explicitly stated its disinterest in defending the Black community from rioters and arsonists, the likes of future mayor Richard M. Daley.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

This goes without saying that - A Life is a life.
I have no words..
As the OP expressed - in other words - everytime you leave your cave, take your biggest club.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

deanimator wrote:
ArmedAviator wrote:
This right here.
I once told my Obama voting relatives in Chicago that. From the looks on their faces, From the looks on their faces, I might just as well have told them that I saw Amelia Earhart and Big Foot riding the Loch Ness monster up the Chicago River.

What makes that especially ironic is that my grandmother survived the 1919 Chicago race riot only because her brothers, who'd just come back from France, along with other returned Black doughboys raided the National Guard armory and armed themselves. The Chicago Police Department had previously explicitly stated its disinterest in defending the Black community from rioters and arsonists, the likes of future mayor Richard M. Daley.
Correction: Richard J. Daley, the father of (also future mayor) Richard M. Daley.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.