Knee jerk reaction to tragedy ignores the harsh reality.

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Knee jerk reaction to tragedy ignores the harsh reality.

Post by bignflnut »

Out of an estimated 1.2 million registered guns, New Zealand police report that as of Tuesday night, 37 firearms have been surrendered nationwide, according to BuzzFeed.

No accounting was provided of how many people owned those guns, the types of firearms, or where they were surrendered.

The reports of citizens disarming themselves came after a Monday announcement by Prime minister Jacinda Ardern that several "in principle decisions" on gun control have been made by Cabinet ministers, while praising residents who have surrendered their guns to police.

So far, we know of four people who have; Green Party member John Hart and longtime gun owner "@SirWB" - who each turned in a rifle, a grandmother who goes by the Twitter handle "@FeyHag" who said she requested for her family's guns to be handed in for destruction, and former New Zealand Army soldier Pete Breidahl - who said he warned local police of extremists at a local rifle club where he said he suspected the shooter was a member.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

There's the expected exemption, doubt 'some sportsmen and women' unless they are in govt. will get any exemption.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... aland.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Police and the military, as well as pest control workers and some sportsmen and women, will be granted exemptions from the law.

'To owners who have legitimate uses for their guns, I want to reiterate that the actions being announced today are not because of you, and are not directed at you. Our actions, on behalf of all New Zealanders, are directed at making sure this never happens again,' Ms Ardern added.
Not because of you, or directed at you, but you law abiding _subjects_ are the ones that will be affected.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

That's NOBLE!
Taking guns away from criminals!
Hey HEY!
All Hail the Executive!

Wow. Aren't we glad you're here to rule us so well?
Who could of thought this up without you?
Bad guys get their guns taken away. We'll tell you what a legitimate use is and is not...
All is well!

Women can't be violent. NAH! So they can keep their guns.
Wait. Aren't men and women the same? Women are or are not oppressed? I'm confused.
We're certainly not saying that there's a strength difference and that women need an equalizer to protect themselves, right?
Couldn't say that. It would defeat the narrative that men and women are in no way different.

(I've read something negative about being ruled by effeminacy and youth...hmmm...*strokes chin*)
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

"We don't have to protect you and we won't let you protect yourself... Besides, it's your own fault anyway. "
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

If anyone is interested.
The president of the Virginia Civilian Defense League happened to view the body cam video posted online by the Christs Church shooter before it was purged from the net.
He sent out an email alert to all members describing the video and his observations and opinions.

If you wish I'll post it here.

One thing he pointed out was NO ONE tried to defend themselves. They grouped themselves in the far corners of the room and just huddled there like sheep while he shot them. Even when he was reloading.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Yes Please ^^^ post the vid

OK another takewaway...re:
Women can't be violent. NAH! So they can keep their guns.
Wait. Aren't men and women the same? Women are or are not...
What happens in our cONfusEd world, if George want to identify as Georgette , today? Or, i.d. as an importante' today i.e. prime ministerette?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

AlanM wrote:If anyone is interested.
The president of the Virginia Civilian Defense League happened to view the body cam video posted online by the Christs Church shooter before it was purged from the net.
He sent out an email alert to all members describing the video and his observations and opinions.

If you wish I'll post it here.

One thing he pointed out was NO ONE tried to defend themselves. They grouped themselves in the far corners of the room and just huddled there like sheep while he shot them. Even when he was reloading.
Tom Gresham from Gun talk watched it as well, and made similar comments during his show. did a "what can we learn from this video" segment. He made an observation that if someone starts shooting and everyone rushed the attacker, even though some would still die, ultimately probably not as many as if everyone just cowers in a corner waiting to be shot while putting up no resistance.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Mindset is major, not minor.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I did view the video. The basic lesson is having armed good guys there as the shooting starts is the only real solution. There was one attempt to tackle him that ended with a bullet in the head. Otherwise this guy went around at his relative relaxed pace, several times revisiting piles of bodies to shoot any movers. He even went back out to his car to switch firearms and came back in. He also picked up dropped magazines to pump a few leftover rounds into already wounded victims. After he was done he got back in his car and drove off. From the time he entered the door to the time he got in his car was about 6 minutes. There were not even sounds of sirens when he left.

BTW, there was no fully automatic fire at any time.
Last edited by catfish86 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

At 2:59 PM Guns Were Legal in NZ. At 3:00 PM a Massive Gun Ban Began with Promise of Prison or Fines for Anyone Who Wouldn’t Comply

Terrorism is defined as the use of violence to push political change — and sadly, a terrorist in New Zealand has been able to do just that, rapidly changing the country’s laws in less than a week and possibly getting exactly what he wanted.

Last Friday, a man walked into two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, and killed dozens of people. The tragic crime was carried out with what that nation’s government is now calling “military-style semi-automatic weapons,” which are, in fact, some of the most common types of rifles owned by civilians today.

But with almost zero debate and not even an official vote by its House of Representatives, the country’s government has pushed through sweeping gun bans in record time. That executive action essentially turns previously law-abiding citizens into criminals in an afternoon unless they comply and turn in their firearms to the police.

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

New Zealand already had pretty draconian laws with requirements to get a license (ie permission of the government) to even own a gun. Now this.
God,

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

catfish86 wrote:I did view the video. The basic lesson is having armed good guys there as the shooting starts is the only real solution. There was one attempt to tackle him that ended with a bullet in the head. Otherwise this guy went around at his relative relaxed pace, several times revisiting piles of bodies to shoot any movers. He even went back out to his car to switch firearms and came back in. He also picked up dropped magazines to pump a few leftover rounds into already wounded victims. After he was done he got back in his car and drove off. From the time he entered the door to the time he got in his car was about 6 minutes. There were not even sounds of sirens when he left.

BTW, there was no fully automatic fire at any time.

What you are describing sounds very similar to many other mass shootings in places where there is no armed resistance of some kind on scene. OTOH in places where there has been armed resistance of some kind, in almost all cases the active shooter was not able to just wound massive numbers of people and finish them off at his leisure. The one and only exception I can find so far is Vegas but that was a very unique situation among mass shootings.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

With Vegas, the officers on scene did not have the training to evaluate the cost/benefits of possibly hitting neighboring room occupants as opposed to allowing an exposed position spray fully automatic fire on a massive crowd with no return fire.
God,

Gun control is racist.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

catfish86 wrote:New Zealand already had pretty draconian laws with requirements to get a license (ie permission of the government) to even own a gun. Now this.
Time in kiwi land to dig some holes. :twisted:
Black Rifles Matter
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

The video is posted on The Charles Carroll Society website. It is sick and disgusting but it will make you carry 24/7 if you don't already.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/