Should townships be allowed to regulate shooting?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Should townships be allowed to regulate shooting?

Post by Chuck »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
WY_Not wrote:So, you are going to try and say that the shooter did not "know" that the person's house was right in front of them? :roll:
That's not what it means.

2901.22(B)
(B) A person acts knowingly, regardless of purpose, when the person is aware that the person's conduct will probably cause a certain result or will probably be of a certain nature. A person has knowledge of circumstances when the person is aware that such circumstances probably exist. When knowledge of the existence of a particular fact is an element of an offense, such knowledge is established if a person subjectively believes that there is a high probability of its existence and fails to make inquiry or acts with a conscious purpose to avoid learning the fact.
Now, given that. A person shooting into a backstop and the backstop fails and the round goes into a person's house: Did the person knowingly shoot at or into the person's house?
If I were on the jury, and you can see the house from the firing line, you "knowingly" shot at it.
If the house isn't visible from the firing line, but you have received written, verifiable notice of it being a concern, you "recklessly" shot at it.
If neither of the above apply, you were still "negligent" in shooting his house.

I never get called for jury duty
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

WestonDon wrote:I would suggest that if the good citizens of a densely populated township or area wish to live with the regulations of a municipality that they undertake the process of incorporating and become a village or city and leave the rest of us alone. I don't know what the process is but I suspect it would be an easier road than changing Ohio law.
My experience is townships keep pushing the legislature to give townships more power. My read on this is the affected citizens would balk at changing to a municipal government so the township trustees try to get more power without the constituents knowing it.

Power hungry townships did get "limited home rule" enacted a while ago. My township had a trustee who was pushing for the change but fortunately it went nowhere and she got voted out.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/504
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

kcclark wrote:
WestonDon wrote:I would suggest that if the good citizens of a densely populated township or area wish to live with the regulations of a municipality that they undertake the process of incorporating and become a village or city and leave the rest of us alone. I don't know what the process is but I suspect it would be an easier road than changing Ohio law.
My experience is townships keep pushing the legislature to give townships more power. My read on this is the affected citizens would balk at changing to a municipal government so the township trustees try to get more power without the constituents knowing it.

Power hungry townships did get "limited home rule" enacted a while ago. My township had a trustee who was pushing for the change but fortunately it went nowhere and she got voted out.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/504
However they are prohibited from regulating firearms.

504.04(B) No resolution adopted pursuant to this chapter shall do any of the following:

(1) Create a criminal offense or impose criminal penalties, except as authorized by division (A) of this section or by section 503.52 of the Revised Code;

(2) Impose civil fines other than as authorized by this chapter;

(3) Establish or revise subdivision regulations, road construction standards, urban sediment rules, or storm water and drainage regulations, except as provided in section 504.21 of the Revised Code;

(4) Establish or revise building standards, building codes, and other standard codes except as provided in section 504.13 of the Revised Code;

(5) Increase, decrease, or otherwise alter the powers or duties of a township under any other chapter of the Revised Code pertaining to agriculture or the conservation or development of natural resources;

(6) Establish regulations affecting hunting, trapping, fishing, or the possession, use, or sale of firearms;

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/504.04v1
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Tru-Heathen wrote: However they are prohibited from regulating firearms.
They are until they are not.