CHL arrested carrying in OSU building

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techguy85

Re: CHL arrested carrying in OSU building

Post by techguy85 »

schmieg wrote:
techguy85 wrote:At least we are now allowed to keep them in our vehicles without worry of being fired or expelled. That's something.
Doesn't help you much though.
True... But I'm still in favor of things that improve the landscape generally even if they don't help me as much directly, as long as they don't make the situation worse in some other way. I actually would have preferred that we not go down the road of allowing campuses to adopt rules or policies to allow, taking that discretion back from them, as it arguably was prior to the last change to the law, may be harder than never giving it to them to begin with.
But, that's just my opinion.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Update: Defendent's attorney filed a motion to dismiss and case was dismissed.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

rickt wrote:Update: Defendent's attorney filed a motion to dismiss and case was dismissed.
I'd love to know how that was achieved. Anybody got the scoop?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:
rickt wrote:Update: Defendent's attorney filed a motion to dismiss and case was dismissed.
I'd love to know how that was achieved. Anybody got the scoop?
I believe he was charged under the wrong statute. Now the wait begins to see if he is recharged under the correct one.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

How much time do they have to charge under the correct statute?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

As Mike predicted...

I did another search and on 4/1/2019 he was charged with "2923.12 Carrying Concealed Weapons". Under "Degree" it says "MM".
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

rickt wrote:As Mike predicted...

I did another search and on 4/1/2019 he was charged with "2923.12 Carrying Concealed Weapons". Under "Degree" it says "MM".
If at the end he's found guilty or pleads no contest how does that conviction affect his CHL status?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:
rickt wrote:As Mike predicted...

If at the end he's found guilty or pleads no contest how does that conviction affect his CHL status?
I do not believe it will affect his CHL. At least, I don't see anything in that provision or the licensing statute that would allow it - and, since CCW on a college campus with a CHL is an offense with a tiered penalty starting with MM and escalating if the person offends multiple times, it stands to reason that the person won't lose their license for that offense.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

How about the concept that they don't want these outrageous CPZ zones to go on trial? How about the idea that they want the compliant "law-abiding" citizens who pride themselves on being docile sheep from carrying with only the THREAT of legal ramifications, but that they realize the law is tyrannical - null and void on its face?

How many people are ever actually prosecuted on these charges? Any defense lawyer worth their salt would dismantle these outrageous overreaches. Everyone is talking about equality under the law and hating discrimination, how can location be a legal basis for Rights? How easy is it to talk about segregated drinking fountains and lunch counters...?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Final result:

No contest plea. $50 fine + court costs = $165. "Firearm returned to defendant". (Plus unknown attorney's fees to get the previous charge dismissed.)