CC patient in dentist office stops killer

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

CC patient in dentist office stops killer

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/man-wounded-a ... 0BvlrefAK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The killer came into the dentist office and shot and killed his wife. A patient then shot and wounded the killer. Some might say that since the killer most likely came in to shoot his wife and nobody else was in danger that the CC probably didn't save anyone's life, but that's not always true with other domestic violence shootings. In fact there are many documented cases, one here in Ohio, of unarmed co workers being shot as well as the intended victim. Sadly concealed carry rarely stops some initial attack, just as fire extinguishers don't stop fires from happening. The best case scenario after the shooting starts is to limit the number of victims. In addition, for the innocent person or persons that are shot and not killed right away, stopping the attack ASAP can allow EMS to start sooner, increasing the chances of survival for the victims.
KINGSPORT — A gunman entered a Colonial Heights dental office to murder his wife on Wednesday morning, according to police, and then was shot and detained by a patient who was legally carrying a firearm.

The female victim was transported by EMS to a local hospital where she died, while the suspect survived and was receiving treatment.

“A concealed carry permit holder saw the threat, took action on the threat and stood by until officers arrived,” said Sullivan County Sheriff Jeff Cassidy. “We’re calling him a hero today.”

The incident was called in at David A. Guy Dentistry at 9:47 a.m. The first Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office deputy arrived at the scene, 150 Clinic Drive, about six minutes later. Kingsport police and the Tennessee Highway Patrol also responded, with dozens of officers soon descending on the building.

The victim and suspect are not being named at this time, pending the notification of the next of kin. Cassidy described the shooting as a “workplace” domestic violence incident, adding that the armed suspect entered with the intent to kill his wife. The concealed carry holder who shot that man is also not being named, but officials confirmed he was at the dental office to receive treatment.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: CC patient in dentist office stops killer

Post by bignflnut »

The following illustrates the hypocrisy of the age, not my authentic position on the matter:

But, but, but...
Isn't a doctor's office a legislative "GUN FREE ZONE" (despite Trump promising to ban those on Day One)?
Isn't this guy facing truckloads of legal issues? Will SAF, NRA, GOA, or any local pro-RKBA groups defend this man, be it rhetorically or with actual capital?

How can this mere citizen, untrained in the socially approved ways of State Force, be considered a "Hero", if he's going to be a felon soon? I mean, he armed himself in a place that was verboten. He upends the safety that our elected officials have graciously provided for us and this dead woman. He must be punished swiftly. Show no mercy.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

bignflnut wrote:The following illustrates the hypocrisy of the age, not my authentic position on the matter:

But, but, but...
Isn't a doctor's office a legislative "GUN FREE ZONE"
No. Not federally, and not under Ohio law either.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Just remember: If you let somebody murder you without fighting back, you'll never face "legal issues".
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

deanimator wrote:Just remember: If you let somebody murder you without fighting back, you'll never face "legal issues".
Which, I think, is the reasoning behind CPZ's....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

SMMAssociates wrote:
deanimator wrote:Just remember: If you let somebody murder you without fighting back, you'll never face "legal issues".
Which, I think, is the reasoning behind CPZ's....

Regards,
True for the lawyers/bureaucrats that never plan to be in those zones.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Sounds like something Piers Morgan would say. I love his latest argument that no mass shootings where ten or more have been killed were stopped by a concealed carrier. He neglects to consider how many have been stopped that could have had ten or more killed. I guess he wants us to wait until at least ten have been shot before responding.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

JustaShooter wrote:
bignflnut wrote: But, but, but...
Here in OH, it's possible that anybody can post any facility or business.

Talk about running through a minefield....

Which is why I don't wear NRA "gear" - hats, jackets, etc., which are very plainly marked as NRA.

IMHO, it's too easy to accidentally end up in a private CPZ (or even a House of Worship or school) and wearing the NRA gear is rather a target on your back.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

SMMAssociates wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
bignflnut wrote: But, but, but...
Here in OH, it's possible that anybody can post any facility or business.

Talk about running through a minefield....

Which is why I don't wear NRA "gear" - hats, jackets, etc., which are very plainly marked as NRA.

IMHO, it's too easy to accidentally end up in a private CPZ (or even a House of Worship or school) and wearing the NRA gear is rather a target on your back.

Regards,
In addition, when you're talking about Doctors, many of them don't actually have control over the building where they work anymore. There are very few Doctors left that actually own their own building, like many decades ago. The area of Marcus Welby is almost long gone, except for some of the older Docs.
I have a few professionals that I see occasionally. In one case the dentist only works out of the office and it is not a VDZ. For one Doc he works in a health center complex with several other Doctors, and the entire building is a VDZ, before you ever get to his particular office. For two other Doc's their local offices are not a VDZ, but if I were to have to see them at the hospital where they also work and perform more complex procedures the hospital is a VDZ. One of the Doctors told me even he can't carry or stage even a secured gun there for his own protection either. (he brought it up I didn't)

Like SMMA I don't do or say anything to profile myself as even being a gun owner, much less a concealed carrier, whether I'm carrying or not (I don't carry in a VDZ) or even whether I'm not in a VDZ and carrying. If someone does come in and cases a place before acting, I don't want to stand out as being one of the first potential targets. Not critisizing what anyone else does, it's just what I prefer to do for myself.