Joe Deters said no charges for C.C. who shot robber

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Joe Deters said no charges for C.C. who shot robber

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.fox19.com/2019/02/07/prosecu ... -pony-keg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is multiples angles of surveillance video of the incident as well as a video interview of prosecutor Joe Deters, who once again says to the effect of "If you rob someone with a gun you forfeit your right not to get shot." The robber attempted the robbery despite a sign clearly visible in the surveillance video which shows a handgun and the words "this is a victim free zone." I guess the guy couldn't read English or care about the sign, but he clearly had more warning than he deserved.

"If you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences." Dr. Phil
AlanM

Re: Joe Deters said no charges for C.C. who shot robber

Post by AlanM »

Yep, that sign is pretty hard to see. NOT!
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Wish there are more common sense Prosecutors like Joe Deters out there. Sadly there are ones that want to make a name for themselves by prosecuting the victim for having a gun.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

If you saw Joe's press conference you'd like him even more. Said he wished he could give the victim a medal for protecting herself.

To me Deters only really messed up badly once in all these years, when he prosecuted the UC police officer with murder rather than a lesser homicide in the fatal shooting of Samuel DeBose.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Now the store needs to go after the victim's family/estate ( :roll: ) for any legal costs they incurred and for any cleanup costs they incurred.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

WY_Not wrote:Now the store needs to go after the victim's family/estate ( :roll: ) for any legal costs they incurred and for any cleanup costs they incurred.
The estate probably consists of debts owed to his bookie and pusher.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yeah but it would be a good object lesson.
schmieg wrote:
WY_Not wrote:Now the store needs to go after the victim's family/estate ( :roll: ) for any legal costs they incurred and for any cleanup costs they incurred.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
docachna

Post by docachna »

WY_Not wrote:Yeah but it would be a good object lesson.
schmieg wrote:
Problem is finding a lawyer to take an "object" lesson case on contingency.

And if you do find one that's that desperate, you probably don't want them representing you in the first place.

They could always watch and see if a probate estate is opened up for the poor vunnable, then make a claim directly against the estate for damages that they can easily blackboard. I'd bet against any estate ever being opened for the vunnable, however. And the family's probably teflon unless the vunnable was a minor, and even then, I'd put those chances on the low end between slim and none.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Wish there are more common sense Prosecutors like Joe Deters out there. Sadly there are ones that want to make a name for themselves by prosecuting the victim for having a gun.
...for having a gun that was Ok, but now is not simply due to the FAILURE of the OGA to 1)do their job correctly, that is, write legislation correctly AND 2) fail to fix, after the fact.

Re:

https://ohioccw.org/images/The%20proble ... 20link.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WhyNot wrote:...for having a gun that was Ok, but now is not simply due to the FAILURE of the OGA to 1)do their job correctly, that is, write legislation correctly AND 2) fail to fix, after the fact.

Re:

https://ohioccw.org/images/The%20proble ... 20link.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To be fair:

1) They wrote it correctly, LSC subtly messed up an edit and nobody noticed - heck, I and others in OFCC missed the screw up at first as well.

2) We don't know that, yet. We and others are still working to get the fix in place before the new law takes effect. Let's see where we are in a month and a half.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I will be perfectly happy to be incorrect.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
ohiodff

Post by ohiodff »

JustaShooter wrote:
WhyNot wrote:...for having a gun that was Ok, but now is not simply due to the FAILURE of the OGA to 1)do their job correctly, that is, write legislation correctly AND 2) fail to fix, after the fact.

Re:

To be fair:

1) They wrote it correctly, LSC subtly messed up an edit and nobody noticed - heck, I and others in OFCC missed the screw up at first as well.

2) We don't know that, yet. We and others are still working to get the fix in place before the new law takes effect. Let's see where we are in a month and a half.
What is the update on this? I am not holding my breath at all.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

ohiodff wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:

Re:

To be fair:

What is the update on this? I am not holding my breath at all.
No update yet. New law should take effect at the end of March (but oddly, I'm still not able to find a published effective date...). We should know more as we get closer to that date.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
ohiodff

Post by ohiodff »

I thought the whole point was to get emergency legislation going to preempt this taking effect? I don't believe for one minute that this can be corrected once it becomes mainstream knowledge that "assault weapons are banned".
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

ohiodff wrote:I thought the whole point was to get emergency legislation going to preempt this taking effect? I don't believe for one minute that this can be corrected once it becomes mainstream knowledge that "assault weapons are banned".
And that is what we are working toward, but we are still early in the legislative session. New bills are just being introduced and the LSC is likely working through a backlog getting those bills processed and prepared. We had hoped for the emergency bill to be introduced yesterday, but it is now looking like next week perhaps. See the latest in this thread for updates: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Life Member