Video of man holding home invaders at gunpoint

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Video of man holding home invaders at gunpoint

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/national/watc ... ZeLr42V0L/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A nearby cellphone camera recorded Routh, who was on the phone with 911, pointing his gun at the men, telling them to get down on the ground.

"As soon as they saw the big gun pointed at them, their hands went up," he told the news station.

Asheboro police quickly responded to the scene.

"The policeman said it best – that they're lucky that I didn't shoot them because I had every right to put a bullet in somebody," Routh told WGHP.
ohiodff

Re: Video of man holding home invaders at gunpoint

Post by ohiodff »

I don't know NC law, but the article states it was his parents' house. They were also leaving, suggesting he wasn't even in the house. This may not end up so well for him.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

ohiodff wrote:I don't know NC law, but the article states it was his parents' house. They were also leaving, suggesting he wasn't even in the house. This may not end up so well for him.
IDK if it matters in this particular case or not, but NC is allegedly a stand your ground state. You don't have a duty to retreat if you're someplace that you are legally entitled to be there.

http://www.kirkkirklaw.com/legal-resour ... -carolina/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As of December 1, 2011, citizens of North Carolina had the legal right to defend themselves with deadly force in their homes, vehicles and workplace without the “duty to retreat.” “Stand your ground laws” exist in at least 25 states in addition to Florida and North Carolina.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

ohiodff wrote:I don't know NC law, but the article states it was his parents' house. They were also leaving, suggesting he wasn't even in the house. This may not end up so well for him.
I keep thinking if these guys are outside and knew the law (doubtful!) they could just turn their back to him and walk away!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Cruiser wrote:
I keep thinking if these guys are outside and knew the law (doubtful!) they could just turn their back to him and walk away!
The guys would also have to assume that the citizen with the gun knows the law too, and wouldn't shoot. It's reminds me of an old TV show that used to be on when I was little, called "You bet your life."
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Sadly, they have already placed what should be a losing bet by breaking into someone else's home. Pity that losing bet isn't always a sure loser.
M-Quigley wrote:
Cruiser wrote:
The guys would also have to assume that the citizen with the gun knows the law too, and wouldn't shoot. It's reminds me of an old TV show that used to be on when I was little, called "You bet your life."
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.