Growing number of churches want armed security

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Growing number of churches want armed security

Post by M-Quigley »

It's way past time IMO. Sadly however,there will still be church leaders out there that would rather have dead parishioners and blame guns or support gun control (which will do nothing to stop a mass shooting) than allowing someone to be armed and able to stop a mass shooter. :(

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/guns- ... li=BBnb7Kz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMMAssociates

Re: Growing number of churches want armed security

Post by SMMAssociates »

M-Quigley:

After that minor massacre in a Black Church down south, my synagogue's board decided to think about it....

The "system" is set up so that the Board has to OK Concealed Carry, and either post a sign or give an individual a letter. They invited me to talk about it at a Board meeting. The current Rabbi was quietly opposed - he left while I was still "on the stand". (The last two were also opposed, but they're not here any more. The guy before them used to shoot with me, and passed a CHL course, but never got around to actually getting the license.)

After Pittsburgh, the current guy got a CHL! (The one who walked out on me.) No idea how that'll float - he probably can get an exception out of the board for himself, but.... I am convinced that he's got one of those VA mail-order licenses, and doesn't realize that it's a bit flaky here in OH. I think he's also been ordained via the Internet, like those "conduct a marriage" things. He's really only interested in getting a bigger job - like Mayor, or President. Conducting negotiations to get on the "Green Party" ticket.

Meantime, the wife is upset 'cause I won't go inside. They DO have a uniformed Officer working holidays & after-hours meetings (and, I presume, special events). I told her that it was her duty (she's on the board) to remind people that a uniformed Officer is a target, and will be of little value except as a place that a LAC can get a gun quickly once he goes down. But, as I mentioned, the Board isn't too swift.

Some years ago, the Board authorized a paid "rent-a-cop" to work the parking lot for special events & such. I didn't complain - he was from the agency that I used to work with. No radio, though.... As I was leaving one afternoon, I stopped to talk to Mike, the guy in uniform, and found out that he was about to go off duty. Told him to use my radio to advise "management" that he was leaving. About three transmissions into that, the Chief caught on: "You don't have a radio. What's going on?" Mike and I about fell down until he could explain that we were using MY radio.... (Over the years, I'd accumulated four or five portables, and at least one in the car.)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

SMMAssociates wrote:The "system" is set up so that the Board has to OK Concealed Carry, and either post a sign or give an individual a letter.
FYI, as of March 28 (or whatever the effective date of HB228 is) churches and other houses of worship will be required to post "no guns" signage if they do not permit unrestricted carry due to the way the OGA fixed the signage blunder from two years ago.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

As it should have been from the get go. Treat them like any other business. If they want to prohibit they should be required to post. Daycare and private schools should be treated the same way.
JustaShooter wrote:
SMMAssociates wrote:The "system" is set up so that the Board has to OK Concealed Carry, and either post a sign or give an individual a letter.
FYI, as of March 28 (or whatever the effective date of HB228 is) churches and other houses of worship will be required to post "no guns" signage if they do not permit unrestricted carry due to the way the OGA fixed the signage blunder from two years ago.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Friends,
As a free resource, here is a link to a security assessment for churches. You may choose to download the zip file or not.
Prayerfully consider the well-being of the congregation over and above the dictates of tyrants.
God Bless You.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

SMMAssociates wrote:M-Quigley:

After that minor massacre in a Black Church down south, my synagogue's board decided to think about it....

The "system" is set up so that the Board has to OK Concealed Carry, and either post a sign or give an individual a letter. They invited me to talk about it at a Board meeting. The current Rabbi was quietly opposed - he left while I was still "on the stand". (The last two were also opposed, but they're not here any more. The guy before them used to shoot with me, and passed a CHL course, but never got around to actually getting the license.)

After Pittsburgh, the current guy got a CHL! (The one who walked out on me.) No idea how that'll float - he probably can get an exception out of the board for himself, but.... I am convinced that he's got one of those VA mail-order licenses, and doesn't realize that it's a bit flaky here in OH. I think he's also been ordained via the Internet, like those "conduct a marriage" things. He's really only interested in getting a bigger job - like Mayor, or President. Conducting negotiations to get on the "Green Party" ticket.
Unless he's had a legitmate change of heart he sounds like a typical hypocrite. (guns for me but not for thee) :(
SMMAssociates wrote: Meantime, the wife is upset 'cause I won't go inside. They DO have a uniformed Officer working holidays & after-hours meetings (and, I presume, special events). I told her that it was her duty (she's on the board) to remind people that a uniformed Officer is a target, and will be of little value except as a place that a LAC can get a gun quickly once he goes down. But, as I mentioned, the Board isn't too swift.

Some years ago, the Board authorized a paid "rent-a-cop" to work the parking lot for special events & such. I didn't complain - he was from the agency that I used to work with. No radio, though.... As I was leaving one afternoon, I stopped to talk to Mike, the guy in uniform, and found out that he was about to go off duty. Told him to use my radio to advise "management" that he was leaving. About three transmissions into that, the Chief caught on: "You don't have a radio. What's going on?" Mike and I about fell down until he could explain that we were using MY radio.... (Over the years, I'd accumulated four or five portables, and at least one in the car.)

Regards,
I did security contract work at some churches in the eighties and early ninties, should've had a radio back then but didn't until the very end. The company did have some radios. Cell phones didn't exist so if you needed the police you had to find a landline phone somewhere. Thank goodness for cell phones now at least.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Towards the end of the article they got into scriptural references. I know in discussing it with folks at my church a couple of talking points:

1) Thou Shalt Not Kill....that doesn't mean stepping on an ant is a bad thing. The actual translation is thou shalt not kill INNOCENTS ie commit murder. If you study scriptures, one tenet is that the scriptures are to be taken as a whole. God often called for killing to take place. Don't cherry pick scriptures, killing in self defense is permitted.

2) The apostles carried. Jesus even instructed them to carry when sending them on a trip. In the garden when Jesus was arrested, Peter drew a sword and cut off a guard's ear. Jesus rebuked him, not for having the sword, but for using it at the wrong time and healed the guard.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
As it should have been from the get go. Treat them like any other business. If they want to prohibit they should be required to post. Daycare and private schools should be treated the same way.
Agreed. Daycares are also now required to post under the same change to the ORC, and I believe private schools are as well but I'd have to dig into it a bit more than I have to confirm. (Actually, I believe private schools should have already been required to post, but again, not an area of Ohio law I'd spent a lot of time analyzing. In either case, there is no penalty for failing to post the required signage, so...)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!