The Kavanaugh Confirmation

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djthomas

Re: The Kavanaugh Confirmation

Post by djthomas »

"If you come at the king, you best not miss"
Unknown
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

The American Bar Association has urged the Senate Judiciary Committee and the full Senate to slow down the confirmation process for President Trump's Supreme Court pick, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, until the FBI has time to do a full background check on the claims made by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and other women.

During hours of emotional testimony before the committee on Thursday, Kavanaugh vehemently denied ever having sexually assaulted Ford or anyone else, and cited as evidence his multiple background checks and clearances by the ABA during various stages of his career at the highest level of the U.S. judiciary system.
The American Bar Association (ABA) refused to answer Big League Politics’ questions about whether the organization supports the fundamental American principle of due process of law.

BLP reached out to the ABA to see if they believed in Kavanaugh’s presumption of innocence. The basic question was this: does the American Bar Association believe in the fundamental legal principle of due process?

Jacqui Salmon, Principal Media Strategist, Communications & Media Relations refused to answer this question, instead directing me to a colleague. She told BLP that her colleague, Marc Davis, was the “expert” on the organization’s Kavanaugh statement.

“I’m not sure – you’ll have to ask him,” she said, when asked about due process.
A new twist to turn.

Ya'all think THIS is a circus...wait till an abortion case comes before SCOTUS!
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Sen. Jeff Flake'sbeen gone for more than 30 minutes after leaving with his friend Democratic Sen. Chris Coons, as we reported below.

At one point during Flake's absence, Coons returned, whispered to Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s staff director, causing quite a bit of chatter on the Democratic side.

Feinstein and Coons then went to the anteroom with Feinstein's staff director. It’s unclear if Flake will return to speak, since Grassley seems eager to take a break.
While voting to move it past the committee, Flake is now calling for an FBI investigation, a one week investigation.
Delay tactic is in motion.
Last edited by bignflnut on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

11 yes 10 no. Flake before voting asked to delay a week.
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

However, Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) has said he wants to delay the floor vote for a week. It sounds like he will only vote yes on the floor if the FBI investigates the sexual assault allegations for a week.

Flake: "This country is being ripped apart here, and we’ve got to make sure that we do due diligence. I think we can have a short pause and make sure the FBI can investigate" #tictocnews pic.twitter.com/Xn1yHMr6kn

— TicToc by Bloomberg (@tictoc) September 28, 2018
Everyone knows that the FBI will say "uhhhh, we don't know if he did it or not"...to which there will we caterwauling and amazement that someone would vote FOR a dude when there was an open question as to whether or not he was a rapist.

The GOP cannot help itself but act like they're constantly in the minority.

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Yeah, another week for the FBI to do it's work. I"ll bet they will say that it will take longer than that. The mid terms are getting closer which is delighting the Dem's. Even if the FBI says Bret is a good Boy Scout, the Dem's will find a Girl Scout that he molested.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

The Dem's strategy of trotting out increasingly bizzare accusations doesn't seem to be taken seriously so I believe there are landmines planted along the way for FBI investigators to trip. It's going to be an interesting week.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

He's going to miss the start of the new SCOTUS term anyway even if they do vote him in anyway. What's the significance of a one week investigation, as opposed to a longer one? And is Avenatti going to come out with new supposed witnesses and allegations on the last day of the FBI investigation?
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

Republicans cave again.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

qmti wrote:Yeah, another week for the FBI to do it's work. I"ll bet they will say that it will take longer than that. The mid terms are getting closer which is delighting the Dem's. Even if the FBI says Bret is a good Boy Scout, the Dem's will find a Girl Scout that he molested.
Tounge firmly planted in cheek, not to argue with qmti, no quarrel with him...

How dare you use terms like this! The Ford v Kav fight is not even between male and female. I mean, we have to agree that these terms are meaningless constructs used by the patriarchy to oppress minorities and if you use these terms, you're transphobic...

==========================================
If you need some red meat Tribalism Rah Rah for voting this midterm election completely devoid of character and solely based on being an R, tune into this (23:10-27:02 and beyond)...what are we building? How does voting impact the culture war?

===========================================
Let's recall how hard Kav was fought for and how he was a must appoint when he betrays us...this process deepens the bond between the Trump voter and his nomination...great WWE stuff.

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I'd love to see the FBI question each of the accusers and Senator Feinstein and catch them lying and then indict everyone of them for lying to them.

Feinstein has already changed her story on at least one occasion about this.
And, of course, so has Ford.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

AlanM wrote:I'd love to see the FBI question each of the accusers and Senator Feinstein and catch them lying and then indict everyone of them for lying to them.

Feinstein has already changed her story on at least one occasion about this.
And, of course, so has Ford.
She hasn't been specific enough yet to prove that she was lying. She can recall some details but not others, like when and where it happened. Just because the supposed witnesses can't confirm her story doesn't mean it's proof that something didn't happen to her at some time, somewhere. As far as the other two, have they been specific as to date and place? Three different people with amazing stories and none of them can recall the place or an approx. date of an event?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

qmti wrote:Yeah, another week for the FBI to do it's work. I"ll bet they will say that it will take longer than that. The mid terms are getting closer which is delighting the Dem's. Even if the FBI says Bret is a good Boy Scout, the Dem's will find a Girl Scout that he molested.
The new SCOTUS term begins Monday
They missed it
Now there will be no rush and once again the republicans will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

The real reason certain Democratic Senators want the FBI investigation reopened. :roll:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... 83769086ac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The request for a supplemental FBI background check will almost certainly delay Kavanaugh’s confirmation vote beyond Tuesday, the tentative date eyed by Senate GOP leaders. But Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) had no choice but to placate the small core of undecided senators whom Trump has little power to influence.

Late Friday, by voice vote, the Senate took an initial step to move ahead on the nomination. Barring no major revelations from the FBI, the Senate could vote on confirming Kavanaugh next weekend, days after the start of the high court’s session.

The FBI has already cleared Kavanaugh through six background checks for his previous public-service jobs, a point the nominee underscored in a statement Friday while adding, “I’ve done everything they have requested and will continue to cooperate.”

Trump said the investigation “must be limited in scope and completed in less than one week.” The Judiciary Committee said the probe would cover “current credible allegations,” although committee spokesmen did not respond to a request to elaborate on what those accusations are.
However, this will be the mantra of some of the Democratic Senators if nothing new is found that helps their cause. :roll:
Attorneys for Ford praised the decision to reopen the probe and added, “No artificial limits as to time or scope should be imposed on this investigation.”
Meanwhile, Kavanaugh's testimony is the subject of ridicule by Matt Damon and SNL. Not his denials, but the manner in which he delivered them, and other comments like the motivation for the accusations.

https://www.whio.com/entertainment/snl- ... OKrf4gv2O/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the show's cold open – a parody of Thursday's dramatic Senate Judiciary Committee hearing – actor Matt Damon stepped in to play the beleaguered Supreme Court nominee, who has denied multiple allegations of sexual assault and misconduct.

"Let me tell you this: I'm gonna start at an 11," Damon's Kavanaugh, nostrils flared, shouted. "I'm gonna take it to a 15 real quick!"

He continued: "First of all, I showed this speech to almost no one – not my family, not my friends, not even PJ or Tobin or Squi. This is my speech. There are others like it, but this is mine! I wrote it myself last night while screaming into an empty bag of Doritos."

Damon as Kavanaugh called the allegations a "political con job perpetrated by the Clintons, George Soros, Kathy Griffin, the gay mafia and Mr. Ronan Sinatra."

The sketch also took aim at Kavanaugh's statements about drinking in high school, with multiple references to beer and sight-gags involving him chugging water.
Some people think the underlined part might have a ring of truth to it.
"Do you really think you have the right demeanor to be a Supreme Court Justice?"

Matt Damon "I lifted weights every day . . . am I angry? You're damn right! But if you think I'm angry now you just wait until I get on that Supreme Court and then you're all going to pay!" #SNL pic.twitter.com/AsVW6IcQWE
— Natasha Rinehart (@TashRinehart) September 30, 2018

"Now I'm usually an optimist – a 'the keg is half-full' kind of guy," Damon's Kavanaugh said. "But what I've seen from the monsters on this committee makes me want to puke – and not from beer."
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Opinion of the Prosecutor who questioned Kavanaugh for the Republican Senators. Of course the Democratics will say that that they don't need to say that he's guilty beyond any reasonable doubts because it isn't a criminal trial, and they would be correct.

https://www.whio.com/news/national/bret ... IHPYYVhgJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Update 7:12 a.m. EDT Oct. 1: Rachel Mitchell, the Arizona sex crimes prosecutor hired by Senate Republicans to question Ford and Kavanaugh at Thursday’s hearing, said in a memo to the Judiciary Committee that a “reasonable prosecutor” would not bring criminal charges against the Supreme Court nominee based on Ford’s claims.

Both The Washington Post and CNN reported the memo’s contents late Sunday.

“There is no clear standard of proof for allegations made during the Senate’s confirmation process,” Mitchell acknowledged in the memo, dated Sunday. “But the world in which I work is the legal world, not the political world. Thus, I can only provide my assessment of Dr. Ford’s allegations in that legal context.”

She added: “A ‘he said, she said’ case is incredibly difficult to prove. But this case is even weaker than that.”

NEW--> in memo to all Senate Rs obtained by WaPo, Rachel Mitchell argues re Ford case: "A 'he said, she said' case is incredibly difficult to prove. But this case is even weaker than that." Story TK pic.twitter.com/05VQoFZc4U
— Seung Min Kim (@seungminkim) October 1, 2018
Since Sen. Flake admitted that the women he encountered partially influenced his decision, expect more of it. :roll: Of course you don't see a group of men with a history of being falsely accused doing the same thing. Whatever it was that happened to those women protesters is not relevent to the question of whether or not something happened to Kavanaugh's accuser and if so was the attacker actually Kavanaugh.
Update 8:40 p.m. EDT Sept. 30: Senators Jeff Flake and Chris Coons gave their first interview Sunday night since convincing their Senate colleagues Friday to allow a limited FBI investigation into sexual assault allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

Flake, an Arizona Republican, admitted during a “60 Minutes” interview that the confrontation in the elevator with two activists and sexual assault survivors Friday morning before the Senate Judiciary Committee vote on Kavanaugh did help persuade him to delay the vote by the full Senate.
On a side note, some people when following a story like this seem to hear what they want to hear. I had someone tell me over the weekend that Kavanaugh must be guilty, because he kept "refusing" to take a "lie detector" and for "refusing" an FBI investigation. In fact, he never refused either one of them, he said he would agree to take a polygraph if the committee wants him to, but then said that they were not admissable in a court of law, which that hearing was not a criminal trial. It sounded to me like he was trying to cover his bases in case he was asked to take one and allegedly failed one. He didn't say it but there are cases of people who took a polygraph at that it allegedly showed deception where the evidence proved they couldn't have done the action in question.

How is it that the examiner claimed that Ford's polygraph is supposedly accurate to within .02% for only two questions when the national association of polygraph examiners stated that polygraphs are at best only 90% accurate?