Effect of provocation under Stand Your Ground

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Effect of provocation under Stand Your Ground

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Javelin Man wrote:GMA just had this story and made the law the bad thing, not the hot-headed "sheriff" who clearly shot a man walking away from him. And of course, the obligatory segue to Zimmerman and a picture of an innocent 10 year old Trayvon. :roll:
I watched most of the trial. I agree. A man was walking away from altercation and was shot.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

People parking in a handicapped spot when they shouldn't pushes my hot button too, but hardly to that degree. This guy should do like Carmen and yell at clouds when he's mad, :mrgreen: not pick fights.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:People parking in a handicapped spot when they shouldn't pushes my hot button too, but hardly to that degree. This guy should do like Carmen and yell at clouds when he's mad, :mrgreen: not pick fights.
Right...because I'm chicken also.. :mrgreen:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

"The only thing Markeis McGlockton is guilty is of is trying to protect his family," added Rosenwasser.
This statement concluding the prosecutors remarks pretty much summed it up. Drejka instigated the incident and McGlockton was defending his girlfriend. One of the alternate jurors made the comment that although the shove might have been excessive it was justifiable.

As to the Zimmerman matter, that guy benefited from the lack of video evidence but that is another thread. I don't blame the family supporters for bringing that up.

At the end of the day for "Stand Your Ground", this proves that the law doesn't swing the pendulum too far.

One thing I disagree with the prosecution on is the statement that you can't shoot an unarmed man. So Chuck Norris can't hurt you if he is not armed?
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-man- ... lf-defense

Sentenced to twenty years.
Described by Circuit Court Judge Joseph Bulone as a "wanna-be" police officer and a self-appointed "handicapped parking space monitor..."
At the end of the day, this guy was out of control and got himself into a situation he shot his way out of. Now he is facing consequences. I might add that Stand Your Ground did not spare this guy from the consequences. This an argument for that.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I recall hearing (and shaking my head at) a local 'trainer' bringing this case up about how he was convicted on the firing of the shot, not the intervention. More or less told the folks around me that if it's 'not your monkeys, it's not your circus, and it's not your problem' to this 'trainers' dismay.

Anyway - the police confessions are online, and there's a good concise AAR on the subject - I don't recall seeing it on here. I'd recommend devoting an hour and a half to the entire interview, it's a doozy (but good).

AAR: STATE OF FLORIDA VS. MICHAEL DREJKA
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=18361

Interview Pt2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8OC2NLnW4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interview Pt3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_5km3E_Gn0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction