CHL discharges gun in post office

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

CHL discharges gun in post office

Post by rickt »

Since this was turned over to the Postal Inspectors I wonder if the Broadview Heights police realize this guy committed a felony?
Accidental gun shot, Royalton Road: On Feb. 9, a customer at the Broadview Heights Post Office called police about the smell of gunpowder.

An arriving officer talked to a postal worker who showed him a damaged piece of flooring that appeared to have been shot by a gun. There were fragments around the damage.

One clerk said she was in the back when she heard a loud bang. When she explored the noise, a man was leaving. He said he accidentally fired a gun and left. Surveillance video revealed a man dropping off a package and then putting his hands in his pocket. He then jumps from the gunshot.

It turned out the man did have a CCW permit out of Lake County. The U.S. Postal Inspector took over the investigation.
http://www.cleveland.com/broadview-heig ... es_gu.html
Bruenor

Re: CHL discharges gun in post office

Post by Bruenor »

Gun in pocket without a holster that covers the trigger.. when will people learn ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Bruenor wrote:Gun in pocket without a holster that covers the trigger.. when will people learn ?
I think it's too soon to suggest that the gun was without a pocket holster, given the brevity of the report.

The man's finger(s) could have sneaked into the holster's mouth or, alternatively, it's possible that a leather/cloth holster could have "folded" in just the right way as to interact with the trigger, which may then have accomplished its path when the man put his hand into the pocket and pushed the gun forward. There's also the possibility that debris entered the mouth of the pocket holster and accomplished the same.

Just having a pocket holster does not automatically make things "safer," so to speak. Good practices and common-sense still applies! :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

A CHL carrier that doesn't know the law and makes all CHL carriers look bad. Yeah, I know we shouldn't be restricted but it's the law and we have to live with it.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Stupid.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

qmti wrote:A CHL carrier that doesn't know the law and makes all CHL carriers look bad. Yeah, I know we shouldn't be restricted but it's the law and we have to live with it.
Yup.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

TSiWRX wrote:
Bruenor wrote:Gun in pocket without a holster that covers the trigger.. when will people learn ?
I think it's too soon to suggest that the gun was without a pocket holster, given the brevity of the report.

The man's finger(s) could have sneaked into the holster's mouth or, alternatively, it's possible that a leather/cloth holster could have "folded" in just the right way as to interact with the trigger, which may then have accomplished its path when the man put his hand into the pocket and pushed the gun forward. There's also the possibility that debris entered the mouth of the pocket holster and accomplished the same.

Just having a pocket holster does not automatically make things "safer," so to speak. Good practices and common-sense still applies! :)
No pocket holster <=> Junk pocket holster.. About on the same level, if you ask me.
You are right people do sell and buy cheap holsters, that don't function properly. (prime example Uncle Mikes) And yes, it should be in a pocket by itself, not along with change, keys and chapstick, which goes to good practices and common-sense.

Of course that's still with me entirely ignoring the "you aren't supposed to carry there" aspect.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bruenor wrote:
No pocket holster <=> Junk pocket holster.. About on the same level, if you ask me.
You are right people do sell and buy cheap holsters, that don't function properly. (prime example Uncle Mikes)
Well, actually, the Uncle Mike's inside-the-pocket holster is their one rig I'd say works well enough to use, or recommend to others. It covers the trigger and usually helps the gun stay muzzle down as it should. Kind of depends on the pocket shape, and particular gun. And, its exterior is rough enough to provide some friction against the pocket's lining, from my experience.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Bruenor wrote: No pocket holster <=> Junk pocket holster.. About on the same level, if you ask me.
I'll heartily agree to that - but there are exceptions.

Even dan dan the xd40 man said at one point that a holster was nothing but a very well-fitting pocket. Holster-less pocket-carry is viable - and everyone from low-lying criminals to professionally licensed gunmen have been doing it for ages - but it takes good common sense and practices. As one ex-gang member I interviewed said to me, the fact that "you don't want nothin' else in that pocket" is something that's both commonly taught to the new initiates, as well as is a very self-apparent lesson to those who would violate that rule. :lol:

But I get what you mean - and I do not, at all, disagree with your take.
You are right people do sell and buy cheap holsters, that don't function properly. (prime example Uncle Mikes) And yes, it should be in a pocket by itself, not along with change, keys and chapstick, which goes to good practices and common-sense.
So here's the kicker - even "good" holsters are no guarantee.

Some of the problems with unintentional/forced trigger interaction occurred in the very highly regarded Safariland light-enabled holsters, which, particularly on the side adjacent to the body, had a wide enough flare/opening over the trigger area which made it possible for a finger (or something else) to get wedged-in and actuate the trigger while the gun was still securely holstered and retention-locked. Apparently, it's just a compromise Safariland had to make in the design of the holster in order to allow for clearance of the light during the draw/holster stroke.

A newer product - their 7TS - significantly closed that gap, but most current users of the 6000-series ALS holsters actually do -NOT- see this specific issue as that big of a concern, given their typical usage...

Nevertheless, that possibility does exist (same as it does of various other light-bearing solutions), and has caused documented unintentional discharges.

I know that's far from the realm of pocket holsters, but even a good shell like the DeSantis Nemesis/Superfly can still admit a finger into the trigger guard - in the winter, my front outerwear pocket on my strong side is loaded with just such a setup using one of those flyweight unobtanium-framed S&W snubbies in just such a holster, and I will fire through both it and the garment, if need be.
Of course that's still with me entirely ignoring the "you aren't supposed to carry there" aspect.
Same here. :wink:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

rickt wrote:Since this was turned over to the Postal Inspectors I wonder if the Broadview Heights police realize this guy committed a felony?
I'm sure they do but since it occurred in a federal facility the Postal Inspectors take the investigative lead by default. Once the investigation is complete they'll decide on how to proceed. I used to know some of the Cleveland PIs and they worked hand in hand with locals all the time. Assuming they want to charge the guy they'll figure out the most appropriate venue and go from there.