And it happens again, another school shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: And it happens again, another school shooting

Post by WestonDon »

If I understand this correctly the school administration was so concerned about this maniac that they BANNED HIS BACKPACK from the school. At the same time the first responder to encounter the shooter (the coach/security guard) was unarmed, either by law or by policy, thus powerless to engage the shooter or even save his own life. There was more than one nut involved in this.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

qmti wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
qmti wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I heard on the news that there where two LEO's stationed at that school. Where were they?
Not sure, but with only two LEOs in a school of over 3200 students and multiple buildings, they could have been well away from the shooting. And, as the shooter was reported to have been a former student, he'd have known where they were stationed...
As I understand from various news sources, since it's a "no gun zone", the security personnel are unarmed. The coach that was killed as human shield for some kids doubled as a security guard. They are no armed LEO at the school from what I can tell from the news (unless I missed it). TTAG has a article on this also.
The news source I read said that the Sheriff was asked and the Sheriff allegedly responded that the school did have "an armed resource officer" (as in one) present somewhere at the school, but that the officer did not encounter the killer. This was later used by some people on a liberal website to try to refute someone on Fox and friends who inquired why someone didn't take out the shooter. The implication of the website was that since there was an armed officer present, and who didn't successfully take out the shooter, that somehow means that having guns in the hands of good guys doesn't work. :roll:

https://thinkprogress.org/fox-news-park ... e62f8f27f/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the end of the interview, Kilmeade again pushed the idea of more armed guards in schools. This time, Nelson pushed back more forcefully.

“Yeah, you asked about that — the fact is we can’t make our schools armed camps. I mean, that’s not practical, and it’s not reflective of our open society.”

“That’s fine, I just want a qualified guy to be able to shoot back,” Kilmeade interjected, before ending the interview.

For Fox News personalities, however, that’s not enough. On the Wednesday edition of his show, Sean Hannity argued that while it appears there was a guard at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, there should’ve been more.

“I mean, a school this big that has 3,200 students and multiple buildings, it seems to me you need a few people in each building, retired military, retired police, and I would think, over time, that families — we’re not talking about all that much money,” he said.

But local law enforcement and school officials don’t buy it. Asked about armed guards during a news conference, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel told reporters, “If a person is predisposed to commit such a horrific act… there not a lot law enforcement or any entity can do about it.”

Meanwhile, during an interview on MSNBC, Melissa Falkowski, a teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, pointed out that school officials have recently made changes to safety protocols, and said, “I don’t think we could have been more prepared than we were today.”
It's very strange the Sheriff would on the one hand, say there's nothing law enforcement can do about it, and yet an LEO this afternoon at the press conference on CBS was saying now is not the time for people to complain about how much it's going to cost, but that people are going to have to pony up for more LEO's.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

M-Quigley wrote: It's very strange the Sheriff would on the one hand, say there's nothing law enforcement can do about it, and yet an LEO this afternoon at the press conference on CBS was saying now is not the time for people to complain about how much it's going to cost, but that people are going to have to pony up for more LEO's.
That's the difference between an elected LEO and a hired sock puppet that wants to pour someone else's money into a hole that can be filled by volunteers.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I'm sorry...

''...all new this creep.... anyone blaming the gun doesn't know HAFAHITG....''

I have NO idea what that acronym means please? A cross between mexican lunch entree' and Hiafa, Israel LoL

I will presume G means gun :?:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

WhyNot wrote:I'm sorry...

''...all new this creep.... anyone blaming the gun doesn't know HAFAHITG....''

I have NO idea what that acronym means please? A cross between mexican lunch entree' and Hiafa, Israel LoL

I will presume G means gun :?:
Check your PM..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
High Power

Post by High Power »

If the shooter was mentally ill then why did he try to sneak out with the rest of the students? If he didn't think what he did was wrong then why did he try to hide the fact that he was the gunman?

Everyone that is clamoring for a closer look at the mental ill with the implication that we keep them from guns needs to be careful what they are wishing for.

The mental health professionals are loving this. It means more job security for them. The threshold at which someone could be considered "mentally ill" could be lowered to such a point that an ex-spouse' mere accusations would be sufficient to confiscate a person's firearms.

If you do not think I am correct on my aforementioned premise then just ask someone who has had a crazy ex-wife falsely accuse them.

If you do not think that a lot of psychologists and psychiatrists are not flakes themselves then just go to a state board of psychology/psychiatry meeting sometime and watch them. Do that then let me know what you think.

Also recall the big push to keep guns out of the hands of veterans who simply wanted counseling for some of the stress they have had to deal with because of their service. If the people clamoring for more mental health screening get their way then just being a veteran could put a halt or extend a delay in getting a gun.

That could apply to not just veterans. Anyone needing or wanting counseling from a psychologist/counselor/social worker or pastor could get their guns taken away just because they are going through a stressful time in their life.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

WestonDon wrote:If I understand this correctly the school administration was so concerned about this maniac that they BANNED HIS BACKPACK from the school. At the same time the first responder to encounter the shooter (the coach/security guard) was unarmed, either by law or by policy, thus powerless to engage the shooter or even save his own life. There was more than one nut involved in this.
Where was the report of multiple nuts?
Backpack ban? (awesome!)
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

bignflnut wrote:
WestonDon wrote:If I understand this correctly the school administration was so concerned about this maniac that they BANNED HIS BACKPACK from the school. At the same time the first responder to encounter the shooter (the coach/security guard) was unarmed, either by law or by policy, thus powerless to engage the shooter or even save his own life. There was more than one nut involved in this.
Where was the report of multiple nuts?
Backpack ban? (awesome!)
There was no report of multiple nuts. That is my assessment of the people who thought that banning the shooter with his backpack and disallowing armed adults in the school was somehow sufficient protection.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

FBI was alerted to this guy multiple times, at least once specifically about a school shooting, and didn't follow up. Note this is coming directly from the FBI: https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press ... nd-florida" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
February 16, 2018
FBI Statement on the Shooting in Parkland, Florida

On January 5, 2018, a person close to Nikolas Cruz contacted the FBI’s Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to report concerns about him. The caller provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.

Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life. The information then should have been forwarded to the FBI Miami Field Office, where appropriate investigative steps would have been taken.

We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5. The information was not provided to the Miami Field Office, and no further investigation was conducted at that time.

FBI Director Christopher Wray said:

“We are still investigating the facts. I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public. It’s up to all Americans to be vigilant, and when members of the public contact us with concerns, we must act properly and quickly.

“We have spoken with victims and families, and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrific tragedy. All of the men and women of the FBI are dedicated to keeping the American people safe, and are relentlessly committed to improving all that we do and how we do it.”
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

A report said LE has been sent to that home 36 times in the last 6 years.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

And money says that not a single person who failed to follow those protocols will be imprisoned much less fired. :evil:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

It also said that a shrink was at the home with police and that shrink said that the creep was not dangerous to himself or others..
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

It also said that a shrink was at the home with police and that shrink said that the creep was not dangerous to himself or others..
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Why can't schools just have security like at the school of Sasha and Malia Obama or Barron Trump???
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

BEAR! wrote:Why can't schools just have security like at the school of Sasha and Malia Obama or Barron Trump???

Same reason Hillary said nobody (you) needs guns, b ut she needs armed bodyguards...
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...