Texas Church shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Re: Texas Church shooting

Post by M-Quigley »

SMMAssociates wrote:
cashman966 wrote:Fox is saying the court martial was for DV in 2012 and confined for 12 months then a BCD. The DV alone would make him a prohibited person. Wonder how he obtained his firearms.
Bet the anti's jump all over that one - "gun show loophole", of course....

It would be interesting to find out. Probably his wife bought them. I doubt if her background check would light up anything - especially due to their mutual history with her the victim. A politico who denied a "license" to a frightened woman who was later harmed might have problems in the next election.

Regards,
Don't know about the other guns supposedly found in his car, but here's info on the Ruger AR purchase that he used on the Church victims.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-church-s ... d=50956032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

I heard a brief description of the shooter this morning on NPR. Here's an excerpt from their article:
Kelley previously served in the U.S. Air Force in New Mexico from 2010 until he received a bad conduct discharge in 2014, Air Force spokeswoman Ann Stefanek tells NPR in an email. He was court-martialed in 2012 for assaulting his wife and child, and sentenced to 12 months' confinement.
I see three disqualifiers there to owning or possessing firearms..
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

M-Quigley & Curzyk:

Well, so much for background checks and Lautenberg :( ....

Thanks!
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

HE might of killed himself is the latest after being confronted with a good guy with a gun.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

SMMAssociates wrote:
cashman966 wrote:Fox is saying the court martial was for DV in 2012 and confined for 12 months then a BCD. The DV alone would make him a prohibited person. Wonder how he obtained his firearms.
Bet the anti's jump all over that one - "gun show loophole", of course....

It would be interesting to find out. Probably his wife bought them. I doubt if her background check would light up anything - especially due to their mutual history with her the victim. A politico who denied a "license" to a frightened woman who was later harmed might have problems in the next election.

Regards,
Last night, I read rumors that the woman that he was convicted over and he were divorced. He is rumored to have had a new wife, and she may have attended that church. Her parents have a Sutherland address. If the rumors are right, she was shot in the attack.

Remember, this is only rumor. It would explain why that little church in the middle of rural Texas, though.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

The man hailed as a hero for confronting the Texas mass shooter during his rampage is a sharpshooting plumber with no military background — who hit the gunman through a gap in his body armor, according to a report.

Stephen Willeford managed to shoot Devin Kelley — who reportedly grabbed a hostage — before jumping in another man’s truck and chasing him down, the Daily Mail reported.

Texas Department of Public Safety chief Freeman Martin said Willeford “grabbed his rifle and engaged the suspect” after Kelley left the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, where he opened fire with an assault rifle and killed 26 people.

SNIp

Langendorff later told reporters about the dramatic pursuit.

“I pulled up to the intersection where the shooting happened and I saw two men exchanging gunfire, the other being a citizen of the community,” he said.

“The shooter of the church had taken off, fled in his vehicle, and the other gentleman came and he said, ‘We need to pursue him,’ that he just shot up the church. So that’s what I did. I just acted.”

He said he didn’t know who the heroic citizen was at the time.

“He was just a member of the community, and whenever he came to my vehicle in distress with his weapon he explained very quickly what happened and he got in the truck and I knew it was just time [to go],” he said, KSAT reported.

“So we were doing about 95 mph, going around traffic and everything,” he added.

“Eventually he came to kind of a slowdown and after that, we got within just a few feet of him and he got off the road…He just lost control and thats whenever i put the vehicle in park…The other gentleman jumped out and had his rifle drawn on him and he didn’t move after that,” he said.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The driver of the chase vehicle described the chase in an interview. His description is that he saw the shooter and a resident engage in a gun battle. The shooter fled in his truck while the resident asked the driver to pursue with him. They called 911 and kept police apprised of the location. During the chase the shooter's truck simply went off the road and crashed. The driver pulled up to the scene, the resident put his rifle on the hood and yelled for the shooter to come out. The driver said he heard no sounds from the shooters vehicle and then LEO arrived to take over the scene. There being no sounds and the nature of the crash lead me to believe the shooter simply lost consciousness and died while driving due to wounds from the shootout.

Somebody stated that the fatal shot got around the body armor, but depending on the armor it may not have been rated for rifle rounds.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

A sheriff says the former in-laws of a man suspected of killing 26 people at a Texas church attended services there “from time to time.”

Wilson County Sheriff Joe D. Tackitt Jr. told CNN Monday morning that the former in-laws weren’t in attendance Sunday when the shooting occurred. He says it wasn’t clear why the gunman picked that day for the shooting.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
drc

Post by drc »

From the ABC article mentioned above
Kelley purchased the Ruger model AR-556 rifle used in the shooting at a San Antonio sporting goods store in April 2016, according to a law enforcement official.
Does this then indicate that the Armed Services are not reporting crimes to the civilian law system that would then have caused him to fail a NICS check ?
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

From reporting on ABC News
http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-church-s ... d=50958603

The Texas Governor hints that this church in particular was targeted. The article states that the shooter's in-laws attended the church. It might logically follow that the abused wife was leaving him and in attendance or some variation. Some people are just evil.

From various reports about 50 people attended the church, 26 killed and mid-twenties wounded...ie he shot about all of them.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

catfish86 wrote:From reporting on ABC News
http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-church-s ... d=50958603
It might logically follow that the abused wife was leaving him and in attendance or some variation. Some people are just evil.
No fault divorce...the way married people don't know how to love/respect one another...broken homes...it's a national plague.
Doesn't matter your skin color, politics, religion, etc...a healthy family life is a necessary prerequisite for happiness.

If you're walking around with murder in your heart towards your spouse, renew your mind.

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Following the horrific murder of dozens of worshippers in Texas yesterday, demands for gun control were prevalent, but President Trump, speaking at a press conference in Tokyo, said the mass shooting was not "a guns situation," pointing out that the problem was the killer's "mental health."
“I think that mental health is your problem here,” Trump said during a news conference in Tokyo, Japan in response to a question about the massacre in Sutherland Springs, Texas.

“This was a very - based on preliminary reports - a very deranged individual. A lot of problems over a long period of time.”
Please, stop "helping".

Eugenicists aren't speaking out against "Feeblemindedness" openly these days. The "mental illness" net is cast wide, and as current as ever, though.

People, in order to secure their freedom, need to KABA at all times. The internet has blessed us with the ability to speak to many with ease, it also increases frustration that one's expressed thoughts are so quickly refuted. Positions on all sides have hardened, and with it, the heart of man.

JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

drc wrote:From the ABC article mentioned above
Kelley purchased the Ruger model AR-556 rifle used in the shooting at a San Antonio sporting goods store in April 2016, according to a law enforcement official.
Does this then indicate that the Armed Services are not reporting crimes to the civilian law system that would then have caused him to fail a NICS check ?
That's what i question now as well. I know alot of military crimes are handled internally only.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

JediSkipdogg wrote:That's what i question now as well. I know alot of military crimes are handled internally only.
...if at all.

When I was in the Army in the '80s, my supply sergeant's husband not only beat her, he made threatening phone calls to my supply room AFTER he'd been ordered to have no contact with her by his company commander (he was in a different unit).

I had to go to the MP station, and verbally berate the MP investigator into arresting the husband. I literally told him that I wasn't leaving the station until they arrested the guy, after he spent twenty minutes acting as his pro-bono defense attorney. If I'm ever accused of a crime, I sure hope that my counsel tries HALF as hard to exonerate me as that MPI did to excuse the huband's actions. At one point, having been told that he'd called my supply room to say he'd "get" my supply sergeant, he literally said, "What does that mean? Get her an ice cream cone?" I think he's one of Hillary's PR people now...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Does this then indicate that the Armed Services are not reporting crimes to the civilian law system that would then have caused him to fail a NICS check ?
And yet the governor has said he was denied a Texas LCH which runs NICS as well. My SWAG ... The media are now reporting that he was given a bad conduct discharge which I believe differs legally from a dishonorable discharge. Within NICS he would likely not be a prohibited person based on the discharge and if the military doesn't report the DV conviction it won't be in NICS. However when you complete the Texas LCH form they require you to disclose any arrest and will investigate the particulars. My guess is they pulled or asked for his military files and saw that he was Lautenberged and denied his license even though NICS comes back clear.